Very Low Science GPA, Concerned About Future Application...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frenchriviera24

Junior Undergraduate
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You still have a lot of bio courses to take. So put your current sci gpa at the back of your head and just do really well on your future science courses. You should get the gpa to at least 3.0 before you apply because you don't want to risk getting rejected from d-schools and waste your money.
My sci gpa right now is at 3.3 and I too have a lot of credits to fulfill and I'm also starting my 4th year this fall. I'm in the same boat as you because I want to apply this fall but I still think that I should raise my gpa and get more experience and apply for the 2011 cycle. Have you taken the DAT yet? Remember that you have to set a side at least a month to study for it and get a decent grade.

Good Luck!!

Thanks that's encouraging.:)

No I have not taken the DAT yet and I've been studying for it since I was a freshman with the 2007 Kaplan blue book. The reason I haven't taken it yet is because I'm not sure how long it stays on file/record with me.
If I were to take it now, I don't believe the grade would remain with me if I decide to apply 2 years from now. Or would it?

Does it become null after a certain length of time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools count the DAT for at least 3 years. My advice would be to take a year off and get that science GPA up to a 3.0 and then stress the upward trend. I applied with a 3.0 sGPA this cycle and I have only gotten 2 rejections but have yet to hear back from my other 11 schools. If you don't want to take a year off your only option is to take those 2 courses next semester and then another 4 this summer. And if you do that you most likely won't get the solid A's that you need. Right now A's are you friends, A-'s are you acquaintances, B+'s are your enemy and anything lower is your down fall so remember that. Lastly you could go into a masters program after you graduate, but that will basically result in you taking 2 years off. Good luck.

PS any course you took with a C- or lower that is a pre-req will have to be retaken

Most schools count the DAT for at least 3 years. My advice would be to take a year off and get that science GPA up to a 3.0 and then stress the upward trend. I applied with a 3.0 sGPA this cycle and I have only gotten 2 rejections but have yet to hear back from my other 11 schools. If you don't want to take a year off your only option is to take those 2 courses next semester and then another 4 this summer. And if you do that you most likely won't get the solid A's that you need. Right now A's are you friends, A-'s are you acquaintances, B+'s are your enemy and anything lower is your down fall so remember that. Lastly you could go into a masters program after you graduate, but that will basically result in you taking 2 years off. Good luck.

PS any course you took with a C- or lower that is a pre-req will have to be retaken
I will definitely work on my GPA first and foremost. I have been reading other people's turnaround stories throughout the threads, esp the "Below 3.0". I'm committing myself to it now. I guess I was very interested in my gpa before, but I wasn't committed!
Thanks so much.

How many credits do you have in your sGPA? I messed mine up horribly while doing engineering.....and I have about 150 quarter units of sGPA at 2.1. I've since taken another 5 years to bring it up. Its doable but if you have to, take the extra years and keep beefing it up. You are already handicapped and only thing you can show them now is that you can come back with a very strong upward trend.

Hi,
Iam planning to apply to dental schools around june to get enrolled in fall 2010,so do i have to take DAT exam before i apply?? or can i apply first around june and take exam around august?so that i have the whole summer to study for DAT..or is it compulsary that i should take DAT and send scores around the time i apply?

Hi,
Iam planning to apply to dental schools around june to get enrolled in fall 2010,so do i have to take DAT exam before i apply?? or can i apply first around june and take exam around august?so that i have the whole summer to study for DAT..or is it compulsary that i should take DAT and send scores around the time i apply?
Sadiq I was curious about the same thing. I'm looking thru threads to find an answer, no luck yet.http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=421398

Last edited:
How many credits do you have in your sGPA? I messed mine up horribly while doing engineering.....and I have about 150 quarter units of sGPA at 2.1. I've since taken another 5 years to bring it up. Its doable but if you have to, take the extra years and keep beefing it up. You are already handicapped and only thing you can show them now is that you can come back with a very strong upward trend.
WOW that seems very difficult to do with that many credits! I currently have 24 credits towards my bcpGPA. I feel I can and will make the switch from this to a 3.0^ average in the next 2yrs. I will most likely apply 2011, after 5 years undergrad.
I commend u and wish u good luck. You can do it!
:thumbup: