Please help! Very low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist?123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need some advice!

I did terribly in undergrad and ended with a 2.46 GPA (I know this is terrible but I don't want to dwell on it and just want help finding solutions). I took the DAT twice, the first time I got a 17AA and second time I got a 19 AA. I just completed a MSMS program and ended with a 3.58 GPA. I thought that dental schools would look at the GPAs separately but it looks like they have been averaging them so my overall GPA only comes out to a 2.61 GPA. I really want to go to dental school but I need to get my GPA to at least a 2.75 (preferably higher). I know realistically my chances are not high but I want to raise my GPA anyways so I can at least apply to other professional programs as a back-up (I can't do anything with my GPA). So my plan now is to take a few community college classes (such as Orgo2 because I got a C- in that and Physiology because I never took it). I want to take 2 more classes but do you think it is better to retake old undergrad classes such as genchem1/2 or bio1/2 so it can help me for the DAT or should I take higher level classes instead? I already took embryology, histology, anatomy, and pathology classes in my Masters and did well on them. I will most likely take the DAT again.

I had severe mental health issues and personal family problems in undergrad and I am trying my best to improve everything that got messed up. I am very overwhelmed so I would appreciate any guidance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the MSMS program a masters? Take what I say with a grain of salt, but it should give you areas to start in your gameplan.

Go ahead and take a breather. Assume it will take you longer than you expect to get in because you are having to fix past mistakes. Things happen, but now you have to PROVE you have grown from those situations.

You will need a higher DAT. I'm fairly certain the average for acceptance is a 20AA. If you score a 21-23AA that should help you a bit. You need to go into the DAT confident. I will always suggest bootcamp, but you will likely need to mix in some higher level questions to ensure you do as well as possible. You need to be comfortable with the timing and strategies for each section. If you are dedicated and have the free time this shouldn't take more than 2.5-3months even if you are starting from a crappy background. This will require you being serious, disciplined, and dedicated to your end goal.

The next question will be how to show that you can deal with heavy science classes. You will be taking double the max credits in undergrad at certain points in dental school. Even if the material isn't difficult the volume can drown you. Going back to a community college for the sciences will be questioned. Masters, post bacc, or even a second degree may be a better option. This is a decision we can't make for you. Regardless you need to shoot for A's only in everything you take from now on(3.58 is good 3.8+ can't be ignored).

Shadowing/Volunteering/Employment will always boost your application. Try to keep it related to dentistry as much as you can. This will show that you are dedicated to being immersed in the environment and not just applying based on a feeling.

My last bit of advice is to talk to advisors/admissions. Let them know you have been working on your application, but are not sure of the best step to take academically. I'd weigh admissions advice over advisors, but generally speaking if multiple people are telling you the same thing then it is likely decent advice.

It's gonna be a journey but you won't be the first. You need to look at your application as a whole and figure out how to best show you deserve to have a spot at a school for 4 years. Having setbacks can help if you bounceback really strong because it shows resiliency. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Is the MSMS program a masters? Take what I say with a grain of salt, but it should give you areas to start in your gameplan.

Go ahead and take a breather. Assume it will take you longer than you expect to get in because you are having to fix past mistakes. Things happen, but now you have to PROVE you have grown from those situations.

You will need a higher DAT. I'm fairly certain the average for acceptance is a 20AA. If you score a 21-23AA that should help you a bit. You need to go into the DAT confident. I will always suggest bootcamp, but you will likely need to mix in some higher level questions to ensure you do as well as possible. You need to be comfortable with the timing and strategies for each section. If you are dedicated and have the free time this shouldn't take more than 2.5-3months even if you are starting from a crappy background. This will require you being serious, disciplined, and dedicated to your end goal.

The next question will be how to show that you can deal with heavy science classes. You will be taking double the max credits in undergrad at certain points in dental school. Even if the material isn't difficult the volume can drown you. Going back to a community college for the sciences will be questioned. Masters, post bacc, or even a second degree may be a better option. This is a decision we can't make for you. Regardless you need to shoot for A's only in everything you take from now on(3.58 is good 3.8+ can't be ignored).

Shadowing/Volunteering/Employment will always boost your application. Try to keep it related to dentistry as much as you can. This will show that you are dedicated to being immersed in the environment and not just applying based on a feeling.

My last bit of advice is to talk to advisors/admissions. Let them know you have been working on your application, but are not sure of the best step to take academically. I'd weigh admissions advice over advisors, but generally speaking if multiple people are telling you the same thing then it is likely decent advice.

It's gonna be a journey but you won't be the first. You need to look at your application as a whole and figure out how to best show you deserve to have a spot at a school for 4 years. Having setbacks can help if you bounceback really strong because it shows resiliency. Good luck.
Hi, thank you for your response! Yes my MSMS program was a masters. I completed many upper level courses in the Masters and did decently but I have almost all C's in my pre-reqs from undergrad....which is why I thought i would retake a few. I definitely will retake the DAT! I do think I will perform better as well bc I learned new material and study techniques in my masters. I have a meeting with an admissions counselor next week to discuss my next step. Thanks so much for the advice :)

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, please (continue) seek(ing) mental health resources. If your typical dental student is already super depressed you're not going to have a fun time. Secondly, I would like to share with you that despite your GPAs not being separated schools will acknowledge your development; once you can get your foot into the door they cannot neglect your progress.

Lastly, speak with a counselor or an admissistrator at a school you are interested in and ask them what you can do to improve your odds at being accepted there.

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you retake the DAT and took move 21 on both sections and if you applied to like 30 school including expensive school, and wrote a beautiful personal statement, you'll get in somewhere.
Yes it's good to retake some courses, but without good DAT, not many will even consider you.
Your DAT will be the key to enter
Retake it again and again until you get high grades.

That being said, Dental school can drive you crazy. I mean it. it's not a good option for someone who is already struggling. It makes many of us depressed and miserable. So keep that in your consideration.

Keep in mind you can only take the DAT 3 times before you have to petition to take it again.... and most schools will see how many times you've taken it. So you should be careful and make sure you study as best as you can if/when you do take it again to give yourself the best chance at acceptance.