Does Km (Michaelis constant) vary with enzyme concentration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratatat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On a Kaplan test, they said that Km varies with temp, pH and enzyme concentration.

On an EK lecture manual, it said Km only varies with temp and pH. I don't understand how it varies with enzyme concentration, as Kaplan says, so I'm just looking for confirmation from others as to whether EK is right.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

On a Kaplan test, they said that Km varies with temp, pH and enzyme concentration.

On an EK lecture manual, it said Km only varies with temp and pH. I don't understand how it varies with enzyme concentration, as Kaplan says, so I'm just looking for confirmation from others as to whether EK is right.

Thanks

My kinetics suck (disclaimer).
I can't see off-hand why it would vary with enzyme concentration. The only thing I can think of, is that if the enzymes are inter-dependent, like more enzymes leads to an increase in the enzyme activity of each individual enzyme (or a decrease) because the enzymes slightly inhibit or stimulate each other, then they could affect Km. If they follow norma Michaelis-Menton Kinetics, then they would not affect Km I think? Any physical chemists around? lol.

why not? if you have more enzymes, then you need a larger concentration of substrate to reach the maximum speed. you're not reaching the systems kinetic potential if you double the # of enzymes but have the same concentration of substrate.

why not? if you have more enzymes, then you need a larger concentration of substrate to reach the maximum speed. you're not reaching the systems kinetic potential if you double the # of enzymes but have the same concentration of substrate.
Since km is used as a measure of an enzyme's affinity for a given substrate, it must either be independent of enzyme concentration, or have a set (standard) concentration value. It is the former, and this is why km and not Vmax is used.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Only Vmax is dependent on enzyme concentration.

If you use the Michaelis-Menten equation, you'll see that Km is not affected by Vmax and thus, not affected by enzyme concentration. Km is equal to the substrate concentration at 1/2 Vmax.

Vo = (Vmax*)/(Km + )
1/2 Vmax = (Vmax*)/(Km + )
Km + = 2
Km =

is the substrate concentration. So you can see that Km is NOT dependent on enzyme concentration; otherwise, a change in Vmax (which IS affected by enzyme concentration) would affect Km as well. Hope this helps.

Only Vmax is dependent on enzyme concentration.

If you use the Michaelis-Menten equation, you'll see that Km is not affected by Vmax and thus, not affected by enzyme concentration. Km is equal to the substrate concentration at 1/2 Vmax.

Vo = (Vmax*)/(Km + )
1/2 Vmax = (Vmax*)/(Km + )
Km + = 2
Km =

is the substrate concentration. So you can see that Km is NOT dependent on enzyme concentration; otherwise, a change in Vmax (which IS affected by enzyme concentration) would affect Km as well. Hope this helps.

Thank you sir :D