Enzyme Kinetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted895568

Can someone please explain this the World explanation did not make a lot of sense

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 11.33.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 11.33.00 PM.png
    307.5 KB · Views: 71
Using POE, I know that the major difference between reversible and irreversible inhibition is that irreversible involves strong covalent bonds. This means A and D are out. From the graph, you can see that more inhibitor is required for the same activity if it is not pre-incubated, so B is out.

You should know, however, that for irreversible inhibition, the kinetics are not dependent on Km values but rather on how long the enzyme in question has been pre-incubated with the irreversible inhibitor. So there's something called kobs which is essentially the plot of enzyme activity vs. time, which when plotted logarithmically resembles first-order decay. So you use kobs/ as the x-axis rather than Km.

Basically, just know that for irreversible inhibition, that kinetics are time-dependent, so you cannot use MM kinetics to describe them. Also, you cannot recover enzyme activity by diluting out the inhibitor. You can only synthesize more enzyme.

This may sound stupid, but you deduced that it was irreversible because there was a difference in activity between the pre-incubated and non-incubated samples? I follow your POE as long as there is something in that graphic that lets me know it is irreversible.

This may sound stupid, but you deduced that it was irreversible because there was a difference in activity between the pre-incubated and non-incubated samples? I follow your POE as long as there is something in that graphic that lets me know it is irreversible.

What's up? I didn't know it was irreversible. I just knew B was wrong because the graph shows that for no preincubation that more inhibitor is required (x-axis) for the same activity (y-axis). Therefore, B is false. C is the only one that is left.

I had to read up on irreversible inhibition because I didn't know jack about it beforehand.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up? I didn't know it was irreversible. I just knew B was wrong because the graph shows that for no preincubation that more inhibitor is required (x-axis) for the same activity (y-axis). Therefore, B is false. C is the only one that is left.

I had to read up on irreversible inhibition because I didn't know jack about it beforehand.
Right, I get that B is wrong, but I was just wondering how you deduced that A was wrong. What was it about the information presented that would allow someone to distinguish between A and C?

Right, I get that B is wrong, but I was just wondering how you deduced that A was wrong. What was it about the information presented that would allow someone to distinguish between A and C?
A and D are saying the same things. A reversible inhibitor forms weak bonds. An irreversible one forms strong (often covalent) bonds.

Whenever you see two choices that are essentially saying the same thing they are both wrong.

Reactions: 1 user