UCSF Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socalgirlie

PharmD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I thought I would start an official UCSF thread for those applying for fall 2010. I am currently working on the supplemental. Those essay questions are rough :/ This is probably the most intimidating school I am applying too. Looking at their website, the pharmacy student profiles there are outstanding :wow:

Good luck everyone :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I was also wondering, did anyone get accepted to UCSF who DID NOT fill out form D (it states: Although not required, Form D provides you with the opportunity to tell us how you may have overcome economic, social, cultural, or educational barriers while pursuing your academic goals)

I am just worried because I don't really have anything to write here, but I feel that not writing anything will put me at a disadvantage in comparison to other applicants. Thanks for the advice!

Hi there SCG, I have applied for UCSF and am eagerly awaiting interview season.

I wrote on Form D because I had a lot to write there. I am guessing by the Chanel in your avatar explains why you have nothing to write on it, LOL. I seriously, seriously doubt not having it will hurt your chances at all.

It's just an additional thing that the commitees can see. Whether they would take it straight-away as a "point" for me and subtract a "point" from you, I doubt it. If we came up head to head, for example, with exactly equivalent GPAs, the same school, same ECs, etc... I'm not sure how that'd be borne out. I mean, if I had a harder life growing up than you did, but still made it to the same places you did, does that mean I worked harder than you did, or does it mean that where you grow up has no correlation to how successful you can be? Tricky questions.

Bottom line? Don't fret about not writing anything there. Something tells me a lot of people at UCSF leave that blank.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://pharmdadmissions.ucsf.edu/

read Joel's blog for tips for the application process.

whether or not you fill out the optional sections is up to you. applicants have gotten in without filling it out, but if you have more to write about, you should do them.

I am still stuck on the waitlist, but I am going to be attending USC.

Hi there SCG, I have applied for UCSF and am eagerly awaiting interview season.

I wrote on Form D because I had a lot to write there. I am guessing by the Chanel in your avatar explains why you have nothing to write on it, LOL. I seriously, seriously doubt not having it will hurt your chances at all.

It's just an additional thing that the commitees can see. Whether they would take it straight-away as a "point" for me and subtract a "point" from you, I doubt it. If we came up head to head, for example, with exactly equivalent GPAs, the same school, same ECs, etc... I'm not sure how that'd be borne out. I mean, if I had a harder life growing up than you did, but still made it to the same places you did, does that mean I worked harder than you did, or does it mean that where you grow up has no correlation to how successful you can be? Tricky questions.

Bottom line? Don't fret about not writing anything there. Something tells me a lot of people at UCSF leave that blank.

I left mine blank. Or rather, I didn't even include the form D with my application. Optional truly means optional. If you fit into the realm of those questions, please do give insight and respond accordingly. Otherwise, you are not required to do so.

As far as wait time to hear back from UCSF, you won't find out until mid to late December for interview invites.

I was also wondering, did anyone get accepted to UCSF who DID NOT fill out form D (it states: Although not required, Form D provides you with the opportunity to tell us how you may have overcome economic, social, cultural, or educational barriers while pursuing your academic goals)

I am just worried because I don't really have anything to write here, but I feel that not writing anything will put me at a disadvantage in comparison to other applicants. Thanks for the advice!

I also left mine blank and will joining rycetrix next year at UCSF. Good luck!

Thanks guys. I was starting to feel like I had to write something to stand out better, but it shouldn't have to be forced. :) Congrats and good luck!

To provide a counterpoint to what people are saying, don't assume that you have nothing to contribute to part D. what may seem rather mundane and boring to you might be absolutely fascinating to someone else. At the same time, if you feel that your personal statement, supplemental and PharmCAS will be enough to tell the story, then by all means leave it at that.

Also, don't be intimidated because it's UCSF and of its reputation. There are people who got into UCSF who have had the 4.0 GPA, stellar LORs, perfect extracurricular activities...and you've got people like me with the 2.6 GPA and barely got his bachelor's degree, but turned his life around enough to get in 15 years after he screwed up the first time. :laugh: And there are people with the 4.0 GPA, stellar LORs, etc., etc., who get rejected or waitlisted.

The UCSF supplemental is left intentionally vague and not clearcut so that it forces you to think about how you'd answer the question. It's to your advantage to be creative in your responses so that the real you comes out in your supplemental.

The one common theme that I've heard all throughout everyone who's gotten accepted for this class is shock that we all got in because we all felt that we didn't fit the supposed perfect student that comes in with getting into UCSF. To that end, everyone I've met is surprisingly and incredibly humble, but then when we all talk, we've all got amazing stories to tell about who they are as people and how they got in. The SF people have met about 3-4 times already, and everyone I've met is genuinely nice and sincere. And still shocked--even though school starts in a month! :D

I think the biggest piece of advice I can give you is--be yourself and don't pad your resume and supplemental with BS. It'll come through in your application, and most definitely in your interview if you somehow make it that far.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :)

Good luck to all of you guys starting your application process this year ! I'm looking forward to meeting you on campus next year and welcoming you into our wonderful UC family.

I wonder if anyone of you have to submit the background check which cost 150$. i just got the emai. Help me please? I am so confused

I wonder if anyone of you have to submit the background check which cost 150$. i just got the emai. Help me please? I am so confused

Hmmm, where does it say we have to do that? Where did you get the email from? I know PharmCAS and some schools do that Certphi thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going on September. I'm all the way down here in Los Angeles. I figured, I'll go to UCSF on friday and UOP on Saturday. That's really my first choice.

Anyone going to the supplemental workshop today? :)

If anyone goes to this, anyone wanna post some info they talk about here for those who can't make it? :)

Hi everyone, so I went to the supplemental workshop today. It was more of a presentation rather than a workshop, meaning that we weren't all working on our supplementals while Joel talked about the different forms. The main advice he gave was straightforward and mostly common sense: basically don't forget to sign every form. Don't leave any of the questions blank except possibly the optional Form D, and fill each to the maximum characters allotted (without going over, of course). He also strongly stressed getting 4 recommenders for letters of recommendation.

Hi everyone, so I went to the supplemental workshop today. It was more of a presentation rather than a workshop, meaning that we weren't all working on our supplementals while Joel talked about the different forms. The main advice he gave was straightforward and mostly common sense: basically don't forget to sign every form. Don't leave any of the questions blank except possibly the optional Form D, and fill each to the maximum characters allotted (without going over, of course). He also strongly stressed getting 4 recommenders for letters of recommendation.

Thank you for posting your comment regarding the info session! :love:

Hey I'm going to be a 3rd year UCSF pharmacy student next year. If anybody has any questions, I can try to answer them for you ^_^ Hi students from the Class of 2013! I bet you're excited to start school :p

So for pt D, is it ok to do some of the questions, but not all of them?

And if I already explained it in the pharmcas essay, should I leave it out?

Hey guys, I'm a newbie here~
Has anyone else sent the supplemental via USPS but then the tracking things shows nothing? It's probably a USPS problem...but it's weird, cause I did the same thing for other schools and only USPS address shows nothing...maybe it's a PO box?:confused:

So for pt D, is it ok to do some of the questions, but not all of them?

And if I already explained it in the pharmcas essay, should I leave it out?

Yeah, it should be fine. It's optional. My advisor says I should only answer the ones that pertain to me. If I can't answer all of them, then I shouldn't need to.

Hey guys, I'm a newbie here~
Has anyone else sent the supplemental via USPS but then the tracking things shows nothing? It's probably a USPS problem...but it's weird, cause I did the same thing for other schools and only USPS address shows nothing...maybe it's a PO box?:confused:

Hi, I'm a P1 at UCSF this year. The same thing happened to me last year. I sent in my applications via delivery confirmation with USPS. The mail delivery status wasn't showing up on-line either. So I asked the admissions depart why and he said that the UCSF mail system has multiple paths and can be a little convoluted. He said don't worry about it. If you don't hear from them after the specified date (I don't remember offhand what that date was for me) that he mentioned then you should give the admissions depart a call. As long as you have proof (ie the certified/register mail receipt) from the USPS that you mailed it on time then they can work with you to get another copy of your application. So, make sure you keep a copy of your applications.

So...for those of you that are interested...and I know many of you are...here are the admission statistics for our entering P1 class of 2013:

Out of 122:

-77 female, 45 male
-105 in state, 17 out of state
-Age range from 21-39
-18 admitted reapplicants
-Degrees: 112 bachelors, 7 masters, 2 professional degrees (I may have completely misheard these numbers, but with this total, that means 1 person did not obtain at least a bachelors)
-Avg GPA: 3.53

Finished, ready to be sent out! Probably on Monday or Tuesday

hey has anyone received a confirmation email from UCSF about the supplemental yet? if so, when did you submit your supplemental and PharmCAS?

thanks!:p

Hey everyone! Does anyone know around what month UCSF begins their interview stage? I just sent out my supplemental and was a bit worried I am behind schedule. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Hey everyone! Does anyone know around what month UCSF begins their interview stage? I just sent out my supplemental and was a bit worried I am behind schedule. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

I don't think you're behind schedule because UCSF isn't rolling admissions. So as long as you get all your material before the deadline, then you're good. I want to say interviews invites are sent out in December and they begin in either Jan/Feb. but I don't remember exactly. I think that's what last year's thread said.

I don't think you're behind schedule because UCSF isn't rolling admissions. So as long as you get all your material before the deadline, then you're good. I want to say interviews invites are sent out in December and they begin in either Jan/Feb. but I don't remember exactly. I think that's what last year's thread said.
Many of the interview invites were sent right before Christmas, Dec. 23, 24th, although others received it in January. I think the interviews were held Jan 30th last year and mid Feb?

Many of the interview invites were sent right before Christmas, Dec. 23, 24th, although others received it in January. I think the interviews were held Jan 30th last year and mid Feb?

The majority of interview letters are mailed out around Christmas. Interviews start beginning/mid-February and end mid-March.

As for the supplemental apps, since it's not rolling admissions, you don't have to send it in earlier, unless you're really sick of the application and want to turn it in before the deadline. :laugh: I'd use the time to try to refine and make the app as strong as you can.

Good luck!

The majority of interview letters are mailed out around Christmas. Interviews start beginning/mid-February and end mid-March.

As for the supplemental apps, since it's not rolling admissions, you don't have to send it in earlier, unless you're really sick of the application and want to turn it in before the deadline. :laugh: I'd use the time to try to refine and make the app as strong as you can.

Good luck!

Correction: Interviews started on 1/30 last year and the last interview date was 2/20. You will receive notification of acceptances/rejections in the entire month of March (beginning to end).

You are fine as long as you are confident that you are doing everything correctly and not sending forms in to the wrong department.

I turned in my supplemental last year AN HOUR before the deadline. I remember that day like it was yesterday - it was pouring rain, but since I lived close to school, I just walked over to the office and handed it in. I wanted to do it personally to signify such special moment. I was soaking wet at the end, but completely happy that the hard work of many months was finally finished. :love:

I worked on my application for several months and asked them to treat it like a precious gem since it was my most valuable possession. It worked and now I have a pleasure of being stkyrice and ricetrix's classmate - see you, guys, earlier this morning in a few hours. :laugh:

Last edited:
I mailed out my supp today...:xf:

hey guys, this is my first time applying to ucsf and a bit confused about the mailing of my supplemental. The site says to mail the fee separately from the supplemental application? Is this the correct address:

Office of the Registrar
File #307902
PO Box 60000
San Francisco CA 94160

Thanks!

hey guys, this is my first time applying to ucsf and a bit confused about the mailing of my supplemental. The site says to mail the fee separately from the supplemental application? Is this the correct address:

Office of the Registrar
File #307902
PO Box 60000
San Francisco CA 94160

Thanks!
That looks correct. The fee is mailed separately from the supplemental application. They go to different locations.

Good Luck everyone on this year's application. I look forward to meeting all of you future P1's. There is plenty of time left to finish your applications. Take the time you need since there is no rolling admissions at UCSF. I didn't mail in my application until 10 minutes before the post office closed on the last day that applications had to be postmarked. What really matters here is your essays. Be yourself in your essays and you will have a good chance. :luck:

Also, read all directions carefully and double/triple check before you complete anything for turn in. They hate it when people don't follow directions. The interview letters will go out the week of Christmas.

Is it new that UCSF needs three letters of recommendation this cycle? I remember I checked a few months ago and the website still said two, no?

Getting strong letters has been so difficult....:(

Is it new that UCSF needs three letters of recommendation this cycle? I remember I checked a few months ago and the website still said two, no?

Getting strong letters has been so difficult....:(

I'd recommend you take advantage of their policy and get all four.

More info on you from LORs = more chances to showcase your strengths and capabilities as an applicant.

so its totally fine to mail UCSF application on Nov 2nd/postmarked by 11/2?

And submit UCSD app. before 11:59 pm on Nov 2 (check postmarked by 11/2)?
I feel it is very important to spend time proofreading the essays

It is fine. UCSF does not have rolling admissions. They don't look at the applications until all of them are in. I am assuming it is the same with UCSD as well, but check their website to see if they have rolling admissions. Double/triple/quaduple check the pos mark dates on the school websites. As long as you go to the post office by the last day for postmark, you are fine.

It is more important to take the extra time to finesse your essays and supplemental application.

Just make sure you know exactly what you are doing and where to send what, because they won't give you a break if you accidentally send it to the wrong place.

Hey guys, I know its early to be inquiring but how is the interview process for those of you who have gone through it. What particularly are they looking for in the essay part? Type of questions they ask? If anyone can clarify this it would be great, thanks in advance

Just make sure you know exactly what you are doing and where to send what, because they won't give you a break if you accidentally send it to the wrong place.

thanks cheura. and outfuturepharm.

Hey guys, I know its early to be inquiring but how is the interview process for those of you who have gone through it. What particularly are they looking for in the essay part? Type of questions they ask? If anyone can clarify this it would be great, thanks in advance

Read the interview feedback section, it is very helpful. For the writing part, you have three essays to choose from and you only need to pick one. I don't remember the exact topics, but they weren't challenging.

The questions aren't difficult. They're basically very easy questions that are designed to make sure that you know how to write a standard college-level essay (introduction with thesis statement, body of paragraphs that explains your arguments in the intro, and then conclusion that ties everything together).

They don't ask anything pharmacy related, or anything that's too taxing on the brain. That's what the interviews are for. :)

Echoing from what my colleagues have said, its not intended to be super intense. In essence, the essay is to check that you can actually write and that you are the person who wrote your personal statement/supplemental essays. They look for similarities in your writing style because each person has their own writing style based on how they have grown up to learn the English language. So long as you are consistent, you'll be fine (with proper grammar and spelling of course).

Hey I'm going to be a 3rd year UCSF pharmacy student next year. If anybody has any questions, I can try to answer them for you ^_^ Hi students from the Class of 2013! I bet you're excited to start school :p

I am a out of state student from UNC chapel hill, and I have a BS in chemistry with a 3.55 GPA, do you think that's a little too low for a out of state applicant? the only thing that looked a little better on my transcript are my orgo GPA (3.93) and biochem (3.75). thank you for your help.

Last edited:
How is everyone's app process going ?

I can't believe this thread is sooo quiet this year, last year our entire class was virtually on SDN in some form or another.