UCSF Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This might be a dumb question, but has anyone gotten into UCSF or UCSD with a C- in a prereq without retaking it?

I got a C- in one of the calculus courses but it's also my only C ever.

On the site they say C or better haha.

I know very little about UCSF, but Nova has the same requirement and I know someone who received a 'conditional acceptance' until they retook a class they had a C- in.

Members don't see this ad.

Got my rejection letter today, kinda sucks since it's Xmas Eve, but good luck to those that got an interview!

got my rejection letter too! wow this is really disheartening. i'm so crushed. was really looking forward to going here too.

they HAD to send it out around christmas.

merry christmas UCSF

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected =(

postmarked dec 23rd.
Mood: sadness
School attending: Touro Class of 2014:banana:

i dont want to get anyones hopes up but (its christmas after all)
from what i remember last 2 years, if you dodged this round of rejections, you can start booking a roundtrip flight to SF ;)

so start praying, wearing your lucky underwear, and making your sacrifices :)

from what i remember last 2 years, if you dodged this round of rejections, you can start booking a roundtrip flight to SF ;-)

to start praying, wearing your lucky underwear, and making sacrifices :)

:laugh:

Is that what you did ? You are soooooooooo getting teased about it next time I see you.

from what i remember last 2 years, if you dodged this round of rejections, you can start booking a roundtrip flight to SF ;)

Ohh, so they didn't fill all interview seats yet. It's an ongoing process until mid January?

Praying extra hard now =P

Ohh, so they didn't fill all interview seats yet. It's an ongoing process until mid January?

Praying extra hard now =P

Yeah, it appears that the letters are sent out in batches. If you look at last year's thread, some people recieved invites as late as the end of the first week in january.

Got my invitation today for Jan. 29th. Yay!!! Good luck to everyone still waiting.
Postmarked: December 23rd

I haven't heard anything from UCSF yet :( But I have an interview invite from UCSD. I'm wondering if it's a good or a bad sign. Since from reading previous years' threadsl it seems like some people get in either at UCSF or UCSD. Still hoping...

I haven't heard anything from UCSF yet :( But I have an interview invite from UCSD. I'm wondering if it's a good or a bad sign. Since from reading previous years' threadsl it seems like some people get in either at UCSF or UCSD. Still hoping...

I haven't heard from UCSD, but got an invite to UCSF today (interview 1/29, postmarked 12/23, East Bay). I read that a few people got invites to both schools last year, but it seems most got rejected by one but an invite from another. Who knows. All speculation. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard from UCSD, but got an invite to UCSF today (interview 1/29, postmarked 12/23, East Bay). I read that a few people got invites to both schools last year, but it seems most got rejected by one but an invite from another. Who knows. All speculation. :)

I'm reading and rereading the thread on UCSF from last year. Yep, some people got in at both schools. So I still have some hope to hear about an interview from UCSF. Good luck to everyone who has their interviews!!!

For the still waiting guys: here is how I coped with anxiety last year while waiting for my acceptance letter, but it's also an excellent way to cope while waiting for the interview invite ;):

I got an amazing bottle of Savignon blanc at Joe's and have been cooking myself a phenomenal mouthwatering dinner every night. Delicious dinner, paired with a glass of nice wine and Colbert report have been alleviating anxiety quite nicely :).

For the still waiting guys: here is how I coped with anxiety last year while waiting for my acceptance letter, but it's also an excellent way to cope while waiting for the interview invite ;):

I'm at Tahoe right now, and while my friends are drinking and joking, I'm on SDN through a mobile phone internet, because the internet at the hotel is $11.99 for 24 hours. Yes, wine helps and my friends' company does help too. I'm still hoping to hear good news though, maybe not this year, but hopefully in the New Year...

I'm at Tahoe right now, and while my friends are drinking and joking, I'm on SDN through a mobile phone internet, because the internet at the hotel is $11.99 for 24 hours. Yes, wine helps and my friends' company does help too. I'm still hoping to hear good news though, maybe not this year, but hopefully in the New Year...
Don't worry about it, Ice Queen. People got both invites and rejections today so not getting anything doesn't mean anything bad. I'm sure you'll get a letter soon.. And I'm positive that it'll be good news :) enjoy your time at tahoe!

No, that's not true... I got my invitation to interview last year on Dec 23. This year, it's already the 24th and still haven't gotten anything (from UCSF or UCSD)

I still haven't heard anything from UCSF. Hopefully something good comes in the mail on saturday! :D

I was wondering where the interview experience threads are?

i dont want to waste too much time arguing something that was already based on speculation. but the basis of your argument is flawed.

im saying that the interview letters can be predicted per relative timeline (ie. rejections usually come before acceptances). notice i dont mention actual dates since that is based on how fast or slow the admission offices are working.
you are using an absolute timeline (ie. 23rd vs 24th) which doesn't confirm nor reject my assertion.

No, that's not true... I got my invitation to interview last year on Dec 23. This year, it's already the 24th and still haven't gotten anything (from UCSF or UCSD)

regardless, it seems some norcal people has received interview invites. so, at the very least, some socal people will be receiving some news today and monday:D

best of luck schleima and all :luck:

Just got an invite for an interview Feb 12th! (I live in Socal and the letter was postmarked the 23rd) in case anyone is interested. Hope to see some of you there! :)

Same as arcticrevolver: Received today in SoCal, postmarked the 23rd. Interview is 2/19! Congrats to everyone who was invited, and keep your head up if you weren't!

just got my interview for UCSF today. Haven't heard anything from UCSD yet. Last year both came before Christmas and both came on the same day! so for those of you waiting anxiously, I wish all the best for you guys. I truly hope you guys get into the school of your choice. Best wishes! Happy holidays. :)

:love: got an interview invite today for 2/12 ... i'm from socal as well :) good luck everyone!!
also haven't heard from ucsd yet... :/

Waiting anxiously from the east coast.... anyone have any idea when the dates are for UCSF interview fall '10 admissions?

They don't announce these types of things to first year students :), but based on what people posted so far, it appears that the dates are similar to last year's dates. Last year I think it was January 30th, February 13, 14, 15 and 19.

As for people with the interviews (congrats !!!!!!!), I would start reading the interview feedback section and re-read it a few times. I'd also read the last year and the one before that threads. You want to have a general idea of the process, so that there aren't any surprises - remember, fortune favors the prepared mind.

They don't announce these types of things to first year students :), but based on what people posted so far, it appears that the dates are similar to last year's dates. Last year I think it was January 30th, February 13, 14, 15 and 19.

Actually, they don't release interview dates to anyone but the interviewees (as in, they won't tell you if you call them, nor will they post it on the website). Interview dates get released to current students later, so that we may come out and meet the interviewees :) good luck!

Interview 2/12:xf:!!!!!!! wootie, woot!!!!!:love: from so cal........ good luck to everyone else waiting......

im still waiting to hear from ucsd...... are they still sending out invites??? anyone know????:confused:

for those who received interview invites, have you done research? it seems like this is a research based school and will only accept you if you did research or have some highly unique characteristic.

i did not do research and was not invited to interview.

for those who received interview invites, have you done research? it seems like this is a research based school and will only accept you if you did research or have some highly unique characteristic.

I was invited to an interview and I have never done any sort of research. I have only worked in a lab for like 2 months in my whole undergraduate career. I avoided all types of lab classes if possible, including science-y research stuff.

I don't think that's true. I did a lot of research. Rejected.

I'm declining my interview, so good luck to whomever gets it!

You're not even going to give it a shot? its UCSF!
besides driving from sac to sf is only one hour.

I am dying to take your place but they are not wanting me at their school. i hate that I spent SOOOO much time on their killer supp.

As for people with the interviews (congrats !!!!!!!), I would start reading the interview feedback section and re-read it a few times. I'd also read the last year and the one before that threads. You want to have a general idea of the process, so that there aren't any surprises - remember, fortune favors the prepared mind.

Dang Cheburashka, you've been busy on SDN! Aren't you on break!?

Good luck to those preparing for interviews. Try to relax.

I'm declining my interview, so good luck to whomever gets it!

You are literally killing me man and figuratively too :(

Why declining ? Why ? Why ?

It's mostly comes down to fiscal sense. I can live in my parents house (that they never even live in, since they're always vacationing) in Stockton, and pay zip for room and board, and get basically the same education. We have a resident from UoP at the hospital right now and he is competent and definitely has great opportunities to excel. I don't think I am making a bad choice here... UoP was always my top choice and logistically it just makes good sense. I figure I'll save a huge wad of cash and basically get the same Pharm.D as if I'd gone to UCSF, and not have to pay the crazy cost of living in S.F.

It's a tough decision but one I am confident making. Cheb, we can still grab sangria, maybe one of the other SDN'ers will get in and we can all kick it. :)

In the end, the person, not the institution, makes the pharmacist from what I can tell and from talking to pharmacists. If I didn't have the free room and board (and really nice room and board at that, LOL) in Stockton already I wouldn't be making this decision.

I don't think that's true. I did a lot of research. Rejected.

My wife did a lot of research work (both internships and paid work) before returning to school to pursue pharmacy, and was just offered an interview at UCSF. (She was offered an interview last year but was rejected). In fact Joel told her that it was likely that her research background is what got the admissions committee attention in the first place. HOWEVER, as with all things with UCSF admissions, they do NOT just look at one factor in making their decisions. There's a methodology to everything they do, and they are not just looking for one specific kind of student. In fact last year during the interview visit, we met a current PharmD student in the student commons in the hour before my wife's interview. This student gave us anecdotal evidence of a UCSF bench researcher (an employee) who applied to the PharmD program and was rejected "because they felt that as a researcher, he would be better suited to a PhD pathway"). Now bear in mind that's 100% hearsay-- only UCSF admissions knows why this particular researcher was rejected, and indeed on the surface this statement contradicts what Joel told us. Hearsay, speculation, etc.-- that is what the studentdoctor.net pre-pharm forums are all about-- heaps of hope, generously garnished with speculation and opinion, sprinkled with little bits of truth-- so take my observations for what they are. But the bottom line is that for anyone who has lived through this process and survived (and it has been twice now for my wife and I-- yes, it's intense for the supporting spouse too), you know that there are multiple components, multiple reasons, multiple elements to any UCSF applicant, and UCSF more than any other school appears to want to find a balance between the wildly disparate elements that make up any candidate, and weigh them out evenly, to get the best sense of whether the candidate is a proper fit for the program. With UCSF it's an emphasis on community service, research, and developing leaders in pharmacy-- not necessarily basing admission decisions disproportionately on GPA, for example like some universities in southern California do. ;)

By the way-- she received an interview invitation for 2/12 over the holiday.... :)

Last edited:
Ahhhh!!! interview invite!!!!! :love::love::love: Feb 6.

I am on the East Coast, in the DC Metro area. Postmarked Dec 23.

With regards to research question, I did a decent amount of research, but of course, am unaware of how large or little of a role it played when the admissions people reviewed my application.

for those of you with interviews, what is the date that you have to respond by?

They sent me a letter that I did not submit my secondary supplemental. I have a certified mail receipt that for the supplemental I sent in. It is post marked on the Nov. 2nd due date. In the letter they said, that it was very unlikely that admissions would change their decision. And they've already sent out interview dates...

Is this a lost cause? Advice??? (help!)

I take it you didn't use the return receipt option on your certified mail? (You should have, for peace of mind, and to protect yourself in case of an unlikely clerical error on UCSF's side)

Having said that, have you not tracked your certified mail on usps.com or fedex.com? (Fedex has partnered with local post offices-- they move certified mail to local post offices, then the post offices do the actual local delivery). Sometimes fedex.com has more detailed tracking info than USPS.com.

As a last resort, you can always call the post office at 1-800-ASK-USPS to find out if they have more information on what happened to your packet.

It's mostly comes down to fiscal sense. I can live in my parents house (that they never even live in, since they're always vacationing) in Stockton, and pay zip for room and board, and get basically the same education. We have a resident from UoP at the hospital right now and he is competent and definitely has great opportunities to excel. I don't think I am making a bad choice here... UoP was always my top choice and logistically it just makes good sense. I figure I'll save a huge wad of cash and basically get the same Pharm.D as if I'd gone to UCSF, and not have to pay the crazy cost of living in S.F.

It's a tough decision but one I am confident making. Cheb, we can still grab sangria, maybe one of the other SDN'ers will get in and we can all kick it. :)

In the end, the person, not the institution, makes the pharmacist from what I can tell and from talking to pharmacists. If I didn't have the free room and board (and really nice room and board at that, LOL) in Stockton already I wouldn't be making this decision.

Not to mention you'll be out of school a year earlier.

Good luck to you Passion4Sci! :D

This is so cool, almost everyone's that has gotten interviews so far, I recognize from their posts on the forum. Maybe I'll get to meet some of you, guys, that would be awesome. :)

Is anyone out there neither received interview invite nor rejection from UCSF? I am still waiting.... someone got their interview invite from DC... I am from east coast as well but received no news yet... UCSD interview invite postmarked 12/17 arrived 12/22 so it took about 5 days... jeez waiting is hard....