Every Statistic About Every Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fodog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Over the weekend, I created a spreadsheet that contains most of the statistics from the new 2010 ADEA Guide To Dental Schools http://www.adea.org/publications/Pages/OfficialGuide.aspx and from the 2008-2009 Survey of Dental Education. http://www.ada.org/ada/prod/survey/survey_ed_vol2.pdf

On this spreadsheet, I have ranked schools according to DAT scores (as well as how each school views each subcategory, Very Important, Somewhat Important, etc, GPAs, Percent Enrolled, In-state statistics, Out-of-State statistics, and other important factors to know ( Job shadowing, total cost, etc.)

I hope this will be helpful to all of you who are applying this upcoming cycle. I tried to get the most recent sources for all this data.

If you don't understand what is being ranked, I created a key on the very right hand side of the sheet. Also, if you have any other statistic that you would want to see on this spreadsheet, let me know!

One other thing, some schools did not provide information on some data. So if there is a #VALUE! in a cell, this is because that information was not received!

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Dental School Statistics.xlsx
    83.7 KB · Views: 7,408
  • Dental School Statistics.xls
    105 KB · Views: 4,897
Last edited:
Thanks fodog:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

But I noticed the excel sheet is in Excel 2007 so I think it would be beneficial if you also upload a Pre-Excel 2007 format in xls format.

Thanks for the suggestion-- I got it uploaded.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend buying the ADEA book. B/c for each school it states the requirements such as 1. (Bio chem, physiology, histology, etc...) classes
2. % of out of state students.

When i look though the book i could not stop noticing like 500 out-of-state students applying to X instate school which do no take any out-of-state applicants. and that is for only one school. Remember the amount of fees they paid, 35$ app 25$ dat and secondary ~50-75. The adea book only costs 35 + 8 shipping.

I really appreciate the time that you took to make this excel sheet. But for me I would rather spend that $43 to get more information and contacts from that school. Also their tuition & fees... etc... like what they like to see in their applicants. All on their individual pages for each school.

Also all the data that you have provided is also available for free on Adea website since first 4 chapters are free. So they can just go look though it in a pdf file.

I recommend buying the ADEA book. B/c for each school it states the requirements such as 1. (Bio chem, physiology, histology, etc...) classes
2. % of out of state students.

When i look though the book i could not stop noticing like 500 out-of-state students applying to X instate school which do no take any out-of-state applicants. and that is for only one school. Remember the amount of fees they paid, 35$ app 25$ dat and secondary ~50-75. The adea book only costs 35 + 8 shipping.

I really appreciate the time that you took to make this excel sheet. But for me I would rather spend that $43 to get more information and contacts from that school. Also their tuition & fees... etc... like what they like to see in their applicants. All on their individual pages for each school.

Also all the data that you have provided is also available for free on Adea website since first 4 chapters are free. So they can just go look though it in a pdf file.

The ADEA book is an indispensable resource for everyone applying to dental schools, especially if you want some of the small specifics about each school.

I have found this spreadsheet to be useful for a couple reasons:

1- you can find multiple statistics for a dental school all on one page.
2- you can EDIT it! This has been the most beneficial thing for me. When trying to figure out what dental schools you want to apply to, it's nice to have a document where you can rearrange, organize, and rank data. There's no better place to do this than on an excel spreadsheet.

Again, I also recommend buying the ADEA book. I just hope many of you can use the spreadsheet for the reasons listed above!

The ADEA book is an indispensable resource for everyone applying to dental schools, especially if you want some of the small specifics about each school.

I have found this spreadsheet to be useful for a couple reasons:

1- you can find multiple statistics for a dental school all on one page.
2- you can EDIT it! This has been the most beneficial thing for me. When trying to figure out what dental schools you want to apply to, it's nice to have a document where you can rearrange, organize, and rank data. There's no better place to do this than on an excel spreadsheet.

Again, I also recommend buying the ADEA book. I just hope many of you can use the spreadsheet for the reasons listed above!

Ohh yeah def. I understand what you mean completely. I even have my own spread sheet on what schools to apply and the requirements that i have not yet finished. Yeah your excel is also a good resource. I am not ruling that people should not look at you excel sheet. I know how much work you have put into it. Heck its better than mine. I think its a great resource. I am just saying that people should no matter what especially if your a non bio major should def. get the ADEA book. B/c its really sad to see hundreds of people apply to schools that does not even consider their app such as shadowing hours, pre reqs before and after applying, out of state status, etc...

PS. I am going to use your excel sheet and high light all the schools that i am not applying to in red and all the ones that require the pre reqs that i wont be able to finish in yellow and all the good to go ones in Green.

Thank you very much for your work + time. I really appreciate it. Good job:thumbup:

You are insane to do all this.

But thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much! Are you sure the costs are right? I didn't think Ohio State had the third highest tuition in the nation.

Out of state tuition for ohio state is ridiculously high...

Stupid question, but just want to make sure:

Are these DAT/GPA averages for applicants or matriculants?

unbelievable, thank you so much for taking the time to assemble this, OP!

For "Shadowing Hours" in the excel document does that mean recommended or required hours?

Thanks

unbelievable, thank you so much for taking the time to assemble this, OP!

Glad it helps!

For "Shadowing Hours" in the excel document does that mean recommended or required hours?

Thanks

Pretty much all this data came from the Official Guide to Dental Schools. Those "Shadowing hours" were their recommended amounts. It seems that most schools are pretty flexible with what they actually require though. If you have a question about any one school, I would probably just give them a call.