Texas A&M College of Medicine-Scott and White Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsmanUP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed a couple of weeks ago at S&W, actually on my first day of a visiting elective there. There are a lot of great things about S&W that are easily overlooked if you are not from Texas, so I urge you to consider these things in your decision. First, from the PC to the PD, and the residents in between, the people are just Texans through and through. What this means is that they are some of the nicest folks you will ever run across in your life. The patients are the same way. Coming from a county hospital where I trained as a med student, its odd to have attendings and patients alike happy to see you! This is really a busy place as well. Of some 14 shifts now I have seen no downtime at all. There is always a patient to see it seems. The hospital is in the final stages of renovation although it was a state of the art hospital for this region to begin with. This place is like the Mayo of the south in that it has a catchment area of some trillion someodd miles. When you sit in the parking lot at S&W and look out across the horizon in all directions, you understand this. Their new ED is supposed to be incredible although I think their current one is not too bad. They use IBEX which is a bad a$$ computer system that requires no writing!! This program and the Texas Tech program in Texas are the two best programs if you want to practice real emergency medicine and not be in a huge city that sucks. Houston and Dallas both stink, and I wouldn't make my family live in either. And this comes from a Houstonian, so don't bother telling me I don't know what I am talking about. Temple is very small on the scale of EM cities. The combination of Belton, Temple, and Killeen without counting the Army guys on Fort Hood probably totals less than 90K. Thats just a guess. It feel closer to a 20K town when you are in any one of them.

You can absolutely live like an attending at S&W though...no kidding. There is Belton Lake which is less than 10 miles away, and you can get a new house in many different price ranges over that direction ranging from 110K to 225K. 225k will get you a freaking house you would pay 3 million for in northern Cali. And this lake is gorgeous!!!! Its got a limestone base which makes is crystal clear, and the hill country starts there and heads south and west. In my short stay there, they have made me feel more like a human being than any place I have visited on rotations. They daily ask me if there are any questions about the program and the city and they don't attempt to conceal anything at all. They work 12 hour shifts which I think I could get used to in order to have literally half the month off by 3rd year. They work 17/15/14 shifts in the ED a month as R1/R2/R3. Conference is pretty good as well but I have only been there during formal inservice review. The hospital system and the program both are very DO friendly...you will not be looked down upon for those initials here. One of their oldest and wisest attendings is a DO.

S&W will make you a great EM physician no doubt. You just have to decide if living in a small place is right for you. I have kids so it is actually attractive. I am in the middle of my ROL now and S&W started in my top quartile of programs just because I felt it was a good fit for me. It has only moved up since I have crunched the numbers and done the spreadsheet of pros and cons. Please check this place out, because it will surprise you a great deal.

Members don't see this ad.

In No particular Order

1. Scott and White - Excellent overall, best fit if you're married, wonderful people. Well-established program in a small town with a huge catchment area. Hospital is a "Texas Mayo Clinic" and very well respected both in the community and the state. The ED is new (finished <2 years ago IIRC) with all private rooms, excellent nursing staff, and lots of space. You don't feel crowded like many EDs that I've seen. The place sees a lot of different things on each shift (peds/adult/trauma, etc). Don't send a ton of people to fellowship though there is talk that this is changing - one recent grad is going to Peds-EM. Faculty are pretty well published, which surprised me, especially in sepsis. My vote for best overall program in the state.

2. Duke - Newish program (I would be in their sixth intern class) but it seems to have most of the kinks worked out. LOVED the PD Sarah Stahmer. Top-notch facilities, smart and personable faculty, and residents that I would most definitely enjoy being friends with. Very livable city. Curriculum suits me: they try and launch their grads into the world with awesome CVs. In short, I *heart* Duke. Currently my personal #1 but will have to convince the wife that it's okay to move there.

3. U Cincinnati - My other EM crush. Take what Duke has in terms of academics and square it. Highest quality EM program, possibly the funniest PD in the business (imagine Kevin Spacey doing standup), and the fact that I know the folks more than from an interview and they rock. However, Cincinnati is, well, Cincinnati. Which means that it isn't a bad school, per se, but it's in the middle of the Midwest. There's no family in the area, it's a four year program (not necessarily a deal breaker for me), and it would be hard for the wife to find a job there as Ohio is pretty much shedding jobs left and right. Would be a hard sell.

4. The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH - solid, friendly, and comfortable PGY1-3 program. Has just about anything that you'd want in a program but lacks a bit in the academic grooming department that other programs put front and center on interview day. Faculty were nice as were the residents. ED is good looking if not flashy (contrast to UCSF's Moffett-Long which was one of the prettiest out there). Program is on/near the campus of the undergrad campus and there is a lot to be said for having a University's resources available. Columbus seems like a really neat city to live in and the people that I met out and about were really nice. The airport is one of the more convenient, easy to maneuver, and nicest airports that I've ever experienced (free wi-fi too). The town is growing and adding jobs which is no mean feat in Ohio these days. Encouraged moonlighting, and you can do it in one of several OSU-affiliated hospitals (you won't have to get your OH license). Would be a tough sell for the wife but vastly easier than Cincinnati would be.

2. Eastern Carolina University, Greenville, NC - man, where to start about this program? I had a bad vibe from the beginning: the coordinator didn't provide the physical address of the hospital so it was hard to find the place as I'd never been to G'Vegas before and was driving in the morning of the interview. It was a painful, awkward day.

It was a foggy day outside and the grayness seemed to be unrelieved by the program offices (in stark contrast to Duke, which was all light, smiles, and holiday cheer). The presentation from the PD seemed a bit half-hearted compared to others that I've seen (for example, Cincinnati put some effort into spicing up the program overview, doing a "morning report" bit that was far more instructive in obvious and subtle ways than anything else). The faculty didn't really seem to do more than ask a few pro-forma questions and then ask if we had any questions. Now, I'm not saying that everyone has to ask me things, certainly not. But I've had really thoughtful questions and discussions at other places that made it clear that the interviewer had thoroughly reviewed my application....or at least followed up on things I had mentioned which indicated that they were interested. Maybe it was just me....

So anyway, the resident's didn't really impress me all that much. The pgy3 was aggressive in a weird way, and the two interns were a disaster. One was saying how happy she was that no one cared if they asked stupid questions and then told us what the dumb question was....The old saying "Better to to be suspected of stupidity than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" was definitely applicable. The other intern barely spoke and appeared catatonic, and when asked why he chose ECU, gave me the weirdest look that I've ever seen. And didn't answer the question. To be fair, we ran across another intern from CA who was working in the ED who seemed really excited and enthused about the program. Perhaps he should have been the one to come to lunch, eh?

Anyway, the ED is gorgeous, no doubt, and they have possibly one of the best designed layouts that I've yet seen. Very nice. The rescucitation bays are the best yet. I think that they are a solid clinical program that for some reason didn't put their best foot forward that day. It was kind of sad.

Note: Posted on behalf of a user wishing to remain anonymous. - DocB

Texas A&M, Scott and White Hospital

Disclosure: I am a fourth year medical student who has interviewed at this program.

Residents: 31 residents total, although they've already been approved for 2 more by the RRC as the hospital will be starting on an ED expansion of 24 more beds next year. Majority are married. Very happy and say they get along well. This program is well known in Texas, and residents have no problems finding jobs in or outside of Texas upon graduating.

Curriculum: One of the best 3 year curriculums you can find, in my opinion. The PD says that he feels EM is best learned in the ED, which is why there are 22 months spent in the ED over the 3 years. First month of R1 year is orientation, with lectures and ED shifts. Each year, the intern class actually gets to decide how long their shifts will be, although most choose 12s, since it affords more days off. I think this is unique to this program. Shift schedule: 17 as an R1, 15 as R2, 14 as R3. Also, during the one floor month of medicine, there is no overnight call at all! One month each of MICU (R1), CCU (R2), PICU (R2), and SICU (R3). SICU month during R3 year can be spent either in-house or at Swedish Medical in Denver, where they put you up in a 2 bedroom apartment for the month (most residents go, as it is apparently procedure-heaven). 1.5 months of elective time. Weekly didactic sessions every Thursday from 7am - noon. New, large simulation center located 5 mins away from the hospital that is shared by other allied health people. The PD is really into simulation training.

Research: Residents can do as little or as much research as they want to do, and the PD likes to leave this up to them. Some residents have done 4 publications during residency, while others elect to just do a case report. Sepsis, tox, EMS, and simulation research are the main areas of interest of the faculty.

Fellowships: EMS.

Residency Leadership: PD is a graduate of the program and is all about resident happiness. Noted recent change to the curriculum has been to the ortho month, where residents now spend a lot of time in ortho clinic instead of handling their floor patients (residents were being left to manage patients' discharges, etc while the ortho team were in the OR). Since he took over, there have been more residents choosing to go into academics or fellowships. There has been more emphasis on teaching/academics since the PD and chair have stepped in. Chair and Vice-chair are both Cincinnati grads.

Facilities: Everything is done at S&W, a hospital rated among the top 15 in the nation for academics. It is a tertiary referral center and level 1 trauma center that covers an enormous region of Texas. ED sees 75,000 patients per year. The ED is gorgeous and brand new. 41 private patient rooms with their own doors (no curtains) and flat-panel TVs. Six massive trauma bays. Physicians have their own room within the ED that is full of computers. All of the departments in the hospital are strong, and there are supposedly great inter-departmental relationships with the ED. Full admitting privileges.

Patients: All types - insured and uninsured. Majority of trauma is blunt (MVA). To take the words out of the PD's mouth - if you're looking for a knife and gun club, this isn't the place. That's a positive for me. Peds is not separate from adult in this ED, and 21% of the patients that you will see during ED shifts are peds. 22% admission rate, which isn't surprising given the hospital being such a big tertiary care center.

Charting: Everything (orders, med records, charting) is electronic in the ED via IBEX/PICIS software. PACS for radiology images.

Benefits/Salary: $43,057 - $45,240 for R1 - R3 (this is actually quite good, considering the cost of living in Temple is extremely low). 3 weeks of paid vacation per year. Free parking. Meals provided when on call. One resident mentioned a cell-phone plan discount, among other random discounts available. Health insurance provided, and cheap for dependents.

Moonlighting: Opportunities available at several outside hospitals, starting in the R2 year. I think there was a 72-hour limit per month, if I'm not mistaken. I think the going rate is around $100/hour.

Location: Temple is a town of 54,000 located in central Texas. It has all the pluses of being a small city (housing is dirt cheap, it's a 10 minute drive to anywhere in the city, zero crime or traffic) along with the minuses (no nightlife, few good restaurants, no real mall). However, Austin is an hour away to the south. Most residents enjoy outdoor things like hiking, biking, and lake activities. Buying a house here is no problem, and new houses are still being built all over.

Overall: Positives for me were the curriculum, beautiful ED, mix of peds/adult during every shift, and the academic hospital with a community feel. Negatives for me were the small city (I'm single, although the married people seem to really enjoy it) and poor turnout of residents at the social (only 3!). I think this is a great program overall and it will be high on my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I originally posted this in the Unofficial 2009 ROL thread but I'm posting here so that folks down the line can get more hits when they search for various programs.

1. Texas A&M-Scott & White - Loved the facilities, great reputation in Texas and surrounding regions, LOVED the residents and faculty. Feels like home. Brought my wife back for a second look and it was a giant love-fest. :) Training is extremely good, great location, and extremely family friendly.

2. Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC - I loved the PD (Sarah Stahmer), the faculty, and the residents. I definitely felt as if I could spend three years with these guys. The feel-goodness started at the resident social and continued on. I was also impressed by the group of applicants who were there with me (one of my hidden indicators). Excellent training, though a bit too university hospital biased. Duke name and reputation, facilities, and Raleigh-Durham is gorgeous. Family in the area. Would be excited to end up here.

3. UC San Francisco-CA - One of those programs with that "X-factor" that's hard to describe; yet you know it when you see it. Really liked the PD and Assistant PD. ;) Fantastic facilities, really top-notch faculty, residents were nice and very welcoming. New program and that brings with it problems; however, I've made something of a habit of helping to establish new organizations and I love a challenge. Though SF is hideously expensive, we think that we can make it happen. Plus it's SF! Gorgeous city and TONS to do when we're not working. Family (a well-traveled bunch) would be thrilled too and have already promised to visit all the time if we end up there. :)

4. University Hosp-Cincinnati-OH - My favorite program by far when considered in and of itself. However, when those "other factors" get thrown in, it was hard to rank them higher. Spent a month there, absolutely LOVED the program. Seriously. This is truly one of those X-factor places and watching their fourth years was insanely impressive. Wish that I could have ranked them higher. But if by some ridiculous longshot we end up there, then I will probably be their most enthusiastic resident EVER. :)

5. U Texas Med Sch-Houston - solid program in a city that I love, close to family and friends, good research available, extremely familiar with the medical center and area.

6. University of Virginia - Very good program that a friend rotated with, so I know it's dirt to a degree. Gorgeous town, decently close to family. Kind of isolated and would be harder for my wife to find a job since it's primarily a college town.

7. Ohio State Univ Med Ctr-OH - Heard great things about the program, really enjoyed my interview, residents at my med school rave about the city. Would be very happy to end up there.

8. Christiana Care-DE - One of those programs that I wish that I'd been able to rotate with because I hear so many great things. Really clicked with the faculty, kind so-so with the residents. Newark didn't really impress me much as it reminded me of the concrete suburbia that I wouldn't mind leaving behind. Nonetheless, would be happy to match there.

9. U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor - Fantastic program, not really thrilled about the amount of snow/winter/winter schmutz we'd have to deal with. Not looking forward to buying a light box and possibly dealing with SAD.

10. U Arkansas-Little Rock - One of the most relaxed and enjoyable interview days I had on the trail. Brand-spanking new ED which is gorgeous and well thought out. A little concerned about the volume and pathology that they see there. Good faculty and the residents seem like people I'd want to be friends with outside of work. Little Rock seems like a very pleasant place to live, and quite affordable.

11. Christus Spohn Mem Hosp-TX - I think that this program is going to be really outstanding in a couple of years. I had a great interview and with the relative lack of other residencies, you get treated like royalty by the hospital - Close, free parking, free food in the Dr.'s Lounge, relatively few low-yield rotations. However, the wife and I weren't too thrilled at the prospect of living in Corpus for three years, and their are still some rough edges to the program. Nonetheless, I believe that you'd come out of this program a very well trained EP.

12. Pitt County Mem Hosp/Brody SOM-NC - Solid program, had a so-so interview day. Location was a bit of a negative for me as Greenville is so small. On the other hand, it is only about forty minutes from family and it's insanely cheap to live in. I've known some folks from the school and they had very good things to say about the program. Would be okay with matching here.

Bottom line is that I didn't interview at a single place that I wouldn't mind training at. I do think that there is a nearly intangible but real difference (for me) between the top-tier and other programs. Having said that though, the one thing that I've learned from this interview season is that the saying "You get a solid education at any of these places because of the RRC," is probably pretty close to the mark.

Posted anonymously on behalf of a medical student who interviewed there.

Interviewed here

Facility overview: ED sees 84.4K patients per year with high acuity.
Facilities: Everything is done at S&W, a hospital rated among the top 15 in the nation for academics. It is a tertiary referral center and level 1 trauma center that covers an enormous region of Texas (San antonio ->Austin). King's daughter's hospital down the street is currently being converted to new pediatric hospital.
The ED is sparkly new. 41 private patient rooms with their own doors (no curtains) and flat-panel TVs. Seriously techno amazing. Charting: Everything (orders, med records, charting) is electronic in the ED via IBEX/PICIS software. PACS for radiology images. Talk of incorporating physician ipads into the mix.
Physicians have their own room within the ED that is full of computers and mini fridges with coke and goodies.
All of the departments in the hospital are strong, and there are supposedly great inter-departmental relationships with the ED. Full admitting privileges.

Location: Temple is a town of 54,000 located in central Texas. It has all the pluses of being a small city (housing is dirt cheap, it's a 10 minute drive to anywhere in the city, zero crime or traffic) along with the minuses (no nightlife, few good restaurants, no real mall--but there is a Target). However, Austin is an hour away to the south. A couple residents commute from closer to Austin. Most residents enjoy the nice weather with outdoor things like hiking, biking, and lake activities. Buying a house here is no problem, and new houses are still being built all over.

Curriculum: 13 4-w blocks. Graduated curriculum. Month 1 of R1 year is orientation, with lectures and light ED shifts.
Supposedly intern class actually gets to decide how long their shifts will be but the residents say 12 is the norm since = more days off.
Shift schedule:
R1 = 17 (204 h/m)
R2 = 15 (180 h/m)
R3 = R3 (160 h/m)
one floor month of medicine (MD) or family med (DO) but neither have overnight call at all. One month each of MICU (R1), CCU (R2), PICU (R2), and SICU (R3). SICU month during R3 year can be spent in-house or at Swedish Medical in Denver, where they put you up in a 2 bedroom apartment for the month (most residents go, as it is apparently procedure-heaven--and potentially good skiing). 1.5 months of elective time.
Weekly protected didactic sessions every Thursday from 7am - noon. New, large simulation center located 5 mins away from the hospital that is shared by other allied health people. Education of medical students/EMTs
The PD is really into simulation training.
Six massive trauma bays. R1 does lines/tubes, R2 airway, R3 primary trauma physician. Sounds very organized and efficient

Didactics: sound strong. Report solid pass scores on inservice exams and boards. Good emphasis on physician wellness and happiness

Benefits/Salary: $47.5K (2011). Free parking. Meals provided when on call. other random discounts available. Health insurance provided, and cheap for dependents.
Vacation: 15 d - 3 w?

Faculty: PD (at moment) is Dr. Stallard -- a graduate of the program and is all about resident happiness. Noted recent change to the curriculum has been to the ortho month, where residents now spend a lot of time in ortho clinic instead of handling their floor patients (residents were being left to manage patients' discharges, etc while the ortho team were in the OR). Since he took over, there have been more residents choosing to go into academics or fellowships. There has been more emphasis on teaching/academics since the PD and chair have stepped in. Chair and Vice-chair are both Cincinnati grads.
Dr. Drigalla is stepping up to PD next year. He has been working with Stallard and this is expected to be a smooth change. Dr. Drigalla is very excited about the program and very "down to earth" and also interested in wellness and similar education goals.

Residents: 12/class. Many are married some have kids. All say very happy. "EVERYONE HAS AN OUTSIDE LIFE". Program has great reputation and residents were discussing large sign on bonuses with contracts they are signing now to begin work next year.

Patients: All types - insured and uninsured. Majority of trauma is blunt (MVA). To take the words out of the PD's mouth - if you're looking for a knife and gun club, this isn't the place. That's a positive for me. Peds is not currently separate from adult in this ED, and 21% of the patients that you will see during ED shifts are peds. This will change with the development of the new peds center down the road. 22% admission rate, which isn't surprising given the hospital being such a big tertiary care center.

Research: Some residents have done 4 publications during residency, while others elect to just do a case report. Sepsis, tox, EMS, and simulation research are the main areas of interest of the faculty. Residents can score conferences in crazy locations to present their research.

Others: Moonlighting opportunities available starting in the R2 year. I heard the going rate is around $100/hour. Possible to fly if interested

Interview Day:
Mostly low stress conversations. Know your application and be prepared to talk about interesting issues in the ED. Nice accommodations. Good dinner and lunch with helpful residents.

Overall:
Super impressed with program. Organized, friendly, great people, strong residents. Close enough to Austin for my S.O. and I to compromise/both work. Ranked very high. :thumbup:

All of the departments in the hospital are strong, and there are supposedly great inter-departmental relationships with the ED. Full admitting privileges.

Just wanted to note that I asked the Department Chair about the strength of other residency programs, and he didn't hestitate to tell me point blank "Peds and Family Med need a lot of work." Just saying.

Posted anonymously on behalf of a medical student who interviewed there.

Thanks for the info. I'm just pointing out that a lot of this info was also posted by another "anonymous user" verbatim a few years ago. Sounds a little bit more like a salesman than an actual med student review. I'll just add a couple grains of salt to this "review."

Just finished an away rotation. Pretty much agree with what everyone says.

Facility: Level 1 trauma, volume at 98k last year. New ED, each patient has a private room. Trauma bays integrated into ED, leads to great trauma exposure. ED broken up into 3 pods, all with similar acuity. Have great US access, i think 3 or 4 machines which are always available. Did lots of US in that month. New peds hospital which is separate from the adult hospital. Peds experience may be lacking a bit. Shifts are interspersed with adult shifts

Staff: Amazing. Nurses are on top of everything. Labs get done and are back within 20-30 minutes. Radiology also very quick. All around great support staff.

Residents: Was 14, but will be going back to 12 this year. Hands down the greatest group of residents I have met. Incredibly nice, and hilarious as well. Resident conference is a combination of learning with jabs taken at each other every couple of minutes, very laid back atmosphere. Also, they are the most patient bunch ever. This is obvious when you get the drug seeker that's been there 5 times today or if you are taking a bit longer on a FAST exam, they are always willing to talk you through it.

Faculty: Faculty is great. All very friendly and willing to help. Have 2 Peds guys, a Tox guy, and an EMS lady, and prob more. Have staff that trained all over the US from Philly, NY, Detroit, Cinci, Texas very broad educational experience. PD is incredibly nice, always has time for students. Very helpful, can tell that he really cares about his residents.

City: Temple. Very small town with not much to do or eat. But lots of outdoor stuff, a few local bars. The people are great. Very friendly. Only downside to program. But Austin is very close and i spent lots of time down there.

Random: A few other things that were really cool. They have a great relationship with EMS, they teach the paramedics and EMTs, once a week or so they will be rotating around the ED. 1 month up in Denver for SICU, very cool. Huge sim lab experience, different in other labs in that the nurses and support staff get involved as well and run the simulations with you. Tons of moonlighting opportunities. Great trauma exposure since trauma bays in the ED. As compared to some programs I've seen that have a separate trauma bay, leading to much less exposure.

Overall: Was a great month. This month reminded me why i love EM so much. Absolutely amazing program. Feel like they will prepare you to work anywhere. That being said lots of the residents stay local, only 2 have done fellowships in 10 yrs. This may be a concern if you want to leave Texas. City is small but everyone is so nice that its easy to look beyond. This will be my gold standard to compare all other programs.

Hi, it's been about 3 years since the last update. Can anyone familiar with the program give an update, specifically on the following:

• Is the shift schedule still 12 hours x 17/15/14 for PGY-1/2/3, respectively?

• Someone commented that the trauma bay is in the ED, but are shifts stratified by acuity (e.g., “trauma” shift or “resuscitative” shift), or is the entire spectrum of pathology seen on each shift? In other words, is trauma seen only during concentrated blocks of training or throughout the entire residency experience in the ED?

• Which team runs the trauma? Is it an alternating schedule with the surgery residents? Who does the procedures (intubations, chest tubes, resuscitative thoracotomies, etc), is it shared with anesthesia/surgery residents based on odd/even days or MRN numbers? Are there any emergency procedures that EM residents are not allowed to do (RSI, thoracotomies)?

• Is there an EMR? Is it Epic quality or a horrendous excuse for a computer program? Is there still paper charting?

• How is the scut work for EM and non-EM months (e.g., transporting own pts to CT, obtaining vitals).
Thanks so much for your time and help.

Noted recent change to the curriculum has been to the ortho month, where residents now spend a lot of time in ortho clinic instead of handling their floor patients (residents were being left to manage patients' discharges, etc while the ortho team were in the OR).

For those of you who are still in medical school and contemplating residencies, the fact that this change was actually made should tell you volumes about just how good this program and its leadership are.

Hi, it's been about 3 years since the last update. Can anyone familiar with the program give an update, specifically on the following:

• Is the shift schedule still 12 hours x 17/15/14 for PGY-1/2/3, respectively?

• Someone commented that the trauma bay is in the ED, but are shifts stratified by acuity (e.g., “trauma” shift or “resuscitative” shift), or is the entire spectrum of pathology seen on each shift? In other words, is trauma seen only during concentrated blocks of training or throughout the entire residency experience in the ED?

• Which team runs the trauma? Is it an alternating schedule with the surgery residents? Who does the procedures (intubations, chest tubes, resuscitative thoracotomies, etc), is it shared with anesthesia/surgery residents based on odd/even days or MRN numbers? Are there any emergency procedures that EM residents are not allowed to do (RSI, thoracotomies)?

• Is there an EMR? Is it Epic quality or a horrendous excuse for a computer program? Is there still paper charting?

• How is the scut work for EM and non-EM months (e.g., transporting own pts to CT, obtaining vitals).
Thanks so much for your time and help.

Current PGY-3
  1. Rotations were switched to 1 month instead of 4 week rotations
    1. PGY-1 do 19 - 12 hour shifts
    2. PGY 2/3 do 17/16 - 9 hour shifts
  2. Our 49 bed ER is split into 3 pods. We have 2 major trauma bays per pod so 6 total. We have no hall beds. Sometimes we put our trauma activations in normal rooms which actually are a good size since yes we are academic, but basically a private hospital. Each pod has an upper and an intern so trauma is spread out per shift. At our pedihospital you cover the entire ER between 1 resident and 1-2 interns so spread out as well.
  3. We have 2 level of activated traumas 911 & 922. 911 are headed by trauma. 922 are headed by us. Intubation is always us. I've seen anesthesia down here once for a patient. Chest tubes are a mixed bag. Typically it's depending on the side of the patient you're on. But also just how aggressive you are. Thoracotomies here I'll admit are rare and trauma typically does them. There are no procedures we do not do in the ER.
  4. We use Epic for our EMR. In honesty, I preferred our previous ER EMR, but as a whole our entire hospital has benefitted from Epic integration.
  5. In the ER there is no scut. If you put an order in for it or you tell the nurse/tech a lac tray, LP kit, etc will be brought to the room for you. We are not drawing our own labs or vitals. I would caution you though that you should be able to start your own IVs though I typically only do external jugulars or straight sticks if multiple nurses have failed. I'm shocked and impressed how well our pedi nurses get lines in preemies. I cannot remember being scut'ed on non-ER months, or maybe I just didn't care.

For anyone that's interviewed here recently - did Dr. Drigalla say that all intern year shifts had been changed to 8 hours next year?

I had no expectations going into this program and was incredibly impressed by him and how much he cares about the program. If I weren't married to a non-medical person, it would be so much easier to rank them very high on my list.

I interviewed late Nov and was told interns do 12 hour shifts.

Interviewed here this season. Had no idea what to expect, but was incredibly impressed by training and location.
+Great training program, relatively new adult and pediatric hospital. Longitudinal pediatric shifts during EM months. Resident responsibility increases after each year, aiming for around 2 patients/hr. PD is very personable and interested in improving the program, rodeo belt buckles with silver and rubies for graduates. Location has super low COL, most residents have houses for <1000/month. Moonlighting opportunities. Austin 1 hr away for nightlife/food. Great lake nearby, residents typically go in a boat to share. Overall amazing training, PD is from Louisville, Chair from Cincinnati. All staff down to earth and interested in improving the program.
-Temple may not be for everyone. Otherwise, incredibly strong program w/ great Pediatric training.

Are internal medicine wards really as heavily emphasized at this program as they appear on the website curriculum? (5 months intern year?)

Are internal medicine wards really as heavily emphasized at this program as they appear on the website curriculum? (5 months intern year?)
It is 1 month...pays for residency positions. Where did you get 5 months?

It is 1 month...pays for residency positions. Where did you get 5 months?

That is good to hear, one month makes sense. If you look at the curriculum breakdown on their website it looks like it constitutes 5 months on the schedule.

That is good to hear, one month makes sense. If you look at the curriculum breakdown on their website it looks like it constitutes 5 months on the schedule.
Yeah if you look at each category, it represents a month. They advocate that the month not only pays for positions but also offers the opportunity to care for our veterans.

Yeah if you look at each category, it represents a month. They advocate that the month not only pays for positions but also offers the opportunity to care for our veterans.

Oh my bad, I definitely misinterpreted that one. I can definitely get behind the idea of a month on the wards, but five would have been a little overboard.

Oh my bad, I definitely misinterpreted that one. I can definitely get behind the idea of a month on the wards, but five would have been a little overboard.

Hah definitely, 5 months on wards would be way too much, almost a transitional year :-D

Interns still work 12s here?

Edit: confirmed that they do work 12s

Last edited: