Texas License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerOfTheTree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long is it taking to get a Texas license. Someone told me you have to live in the state to get the license now. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

Took me maybe 3 months when I got mine 3 years ago, but the time it takes has always fluctuated based on number of applicants. Texas has become part of the interstate medical licensure compact since I was licensed, so maybe that will help speed things up. I have heard nothing about needing to live in Texas to become licensed in Texas; I don't think that's true.

Reactions: 1 user
You do not have to live in the state of TX to apply and be granted a full medical license. I actually used a privately owned, medical licensing company and I was licensed very quickly; I would say it took about 3 months. Before this, I was using a larger company for my medical license applications and noticed they were not as attentive or speedy, maybe they had too much workload, not so sure, but if you want to be informed on all the qualifications, they offer free consultations here:
Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well that doesn't read like an ad bot at all

Took me maybe 3 months when I got mine 3 years ago, but the time it takes has always fluctuated based on number of applicants. Texas has become part of the interstate medical licensure compact since I was licensed, so maybe that will help speed things up. I have heard nothing about needing to live in Texas to become licensed in Texas; I don't think that's true.

I assume they are still requiring the jurisprudence exam even through the compact?

Don't get it unless you are definitely going to use it. Mine took about 4 months and if memory serves was the most expensive state medical license to maintain that I've carried. I dropped it when I decided I wouldn't be using it.

Don't get it unless you are definitely going to use it. Mine took about 4 months and if memory serves was the most expensive state medical license to maintain that I've carried. I dropped it when I decided I wouldn't be using it.
Yup, big money especially as a poor resident. My PD at the time didn’t want me to moonlight but finally relented when I told her I couldn’t afford the licensing fee otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user