2011-2012 Universidad Central del Caribe Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to Caribe...and have yet to recieve anything!

Estoy aplicando a Caribe...pero todavía no he recibido algo!

Megan

do you find it annoying that UCC does not partake in the AMCAS LOR system? I do, I don't think I will apply here for that reason! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just made my university send them my packet.

I have no idea what I got myself into. Vivo en Los Angeles, pero no hablo espanol. Es comico, no? Los maestros ensenaron solomente en espanol? No puedo aprender en la classe de espanol medico. Es dificil. Es la examenes en espanol tambien?

I am applying to Caribe...and have yet to recieve anything!

Estoy aplicando a Caribe...pero todavía no he recibido algo!

Megan

Hola Megan,
ojala y ya recibiste un correo de UCC. No usan applicacion segundaria pero tienes que mandar un giro de $100, transcripciones de tus clases/universidad(es), formas rellenadas por dos profesores de ciencia (yo mande tres: dos de mis profesores y la otra de mi empleador) y tambien una foto aunque sea opcional.
Debes de mandar todo esto antes del 15 de Diciembre.
Si quieres contacta a Eric (recruiting officer) a:
[email protected]

Suerte!:xf:

I just made my university send them my packet.

I have no idea what I got myself into. Vivo en Los Angeles, pero no hablo espanol. Es comico, no? Los maestros ensenaron solomente en espanol? No puedo aprender en la classe de espanol medico. Es dificil. Es la examenes en espanol tambien?

Creo que si enseñan y dan exámenes en Español. Me imagino que darán las entrevistas en Español tambien. ¿Ya mandaste todos los documentos requisitos?
¡Suerte! :luck:

do you find it annoying that UCC does not partake in the AMCAS LOR system? I do, I don't think I will apply here for that reason! Good luck!

It is an extra requisite to have your LOR authors fill out another form, but I did it and asked them to send a copy of the letter they wrote already. I do not see it as a road-block to apply there, I am sorry you do.
¡Buena suerte a ti! ;)

Mailed the arrest record and transcript last week. LOR's were mailed out on monday... We'll see what happens!!

Mailed the arrest record and transcript last week. LOR's were mailed out on monday... We'll see what happens!!

Did you also send a picture? I thought it was optional but I received a letter requesting it and also stating that it is optional.

No pic... I called them and confirmed everything was there yesterday.

Hi Guys! I was wondering if any of you know what is the earliest UCC will interview mainland students? Is it true that they won't offer interviews until January? Please let me know.

Thanks!

Hi Guys! I was wondering if any of you know what is the earliest UCC will interview mainland students? Is it true that they won't offer interviews until January? Please let me know.

Thanks!

Hi Lanimg,
I don't know about interviews. All the correspondence I have received from them was via "snail" mail so it is a contrast with most other schools that offer online portal systems to check our application status. I am curious to know if there are any current students who post on this website. If you find out anything please post and I'll do the same!
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Dr. Curitas! I read somewhere else in sdn, an old post that said that UCC has 60 spots (about 20 for mainland students) and that interviews for mainland students are given starting in January. Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that if that's true we'll get interviews in early January : ).

Thank you Dr. Curitas! I read somewhere else in sdn, an old post that said that UCC has 60 spots (about 20 for mainland students) and that interviews for mainland students are given starting in January. Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that if that's true we'll get interviews in early January : ).

Good to know. Thanks to you also and best of luck indeed.

Hey everybody! I was wondering what the attendance policy is at UCC, I heard that it wasn't required but just want to confirm that. Also what do the students do there with their free time? Thanks!

¡Recibí una invitación para una entrevista el 27 de Enero! Anyone interviewed already who could share some wisdom and insight? Thanks and best of luck to you all!!

¡Recibí una invitación para una entrevista el 27 de Enero! Anyone interviewed already who could share some wisdom and insight? Thanks and best of luck to you all!!

Éxito en Su entrevista good lock

Interview went smoothly on 1/27. Let me know via PM if you want details and recommendations on where to stay and how to get to the campus. Best of luck to you all!! ¡Exito! ;)

Interview went smoothly on 1/27. Let me know via PM if you want details and recommendations on where to stay and how to get to the campus. Best of luck to you all!! ¡Exito! ;)

Gracias por querer ayudar a mi no me han enviado todavía , pero Si me puedde decir detalles y recomendaciones se Lo agradecere. Si la entrevista fue en español o ingles, grupal o personal y q preguntan más o menos gracias Dr. Curitas

Hello Dr. Curitas, i interviewed on the 27th as well. Were you in my group? My name is Estevan. Have you heard anything regarding acceptances??

Hola El Boricua,
la entrevista, orientacion y el tour fueron en Espanol. La entrevista tenia dos partes, un trabajo de grupo para analyzar (sp?) el lado etico y moral de un caso medical (30 min.), y luego las entrevistas individuales (10-15 min.) y creo que los profesores no sabian nada de nuestra solicitud por las preguntas generales (hablar de experiencia como voluntario, experiencia clinica, transicion del estado donde vivo a PR, etc.) Pero todo paso muy bien, la gente de UCC fue muy simpatica y dispuesta a ayudar, contestar mis preguntas, etc. Dime cuando te invitan a una entrevista, ¡exito! como dicen alla.

Hello Dr. Curitas, i interviewed on the 27th as well. Were you in my group? My name is Estevan. Have you heard anything regarding acceptances??

Hola Estevan,
I think you were in group 2, the larger one, since I was in group 1. No mail yet from UCC, they told us in orientation it would take a long time, up to 6 weeks, so I'm trying not to obsess over it for now. Let me know when you hear/read anything from them!! :xf:

I got in!! I received the packet on 2/16, although I was not expecting to hear back from UCC for another 2 weeks at least! Now, I have until the end of the month to reserve my spot, do CBC and read and sign the technical standards. It feels so eerie, yet I want to celebrate this day and express gratitude to all those who have supported me along the way and believed in my ability to succeed.
Good luck everyone!! :luck:

Last edited:
I got in!! I received the packet on 2/16, although I was not expecting to hear back from UCC for another 2 weeks at least! Now, I have until the end of the month to reserve my spot, do CBC and read and sign the technical standards. It feels so eerie, yet I want to celebrate this day and express gratitude to all those who have supported me along the way and believed in my ability to succeed.
Good luck everyone!! :luck:
muchas felicidades Dr. Curitas :laugh::thumbup:

Congrats!!!! I called them the other day, they said they couldn't get to my file on the day the committee meet, so they are going to do it in two weeks! So happy for you!!

muchas felicidades Dr. Curitas :laugh::thumbup:

Congrats!!!! I called them the other day, they said they couldn't get to my file on the day the committee meet, so they are going to do it in two weeks! So happy for you!!

¡Gracias a ustedes! Suerte Estevan y ojala y te toque recibir buenas noticias dentro de 2 semanas. Ten fe! Exito! ;)

Thanks Sameerrai! How did your interview day go? I hope you did what I did not do, get contact info from other interviewees. I wonder how they are faring. Met some interesting and friendly folks that day.

Anymore interviews? Acceptances? Please, don't be shy! This thread is awfully quiet and lonely!! :(

dont be. its pretty straightforward. make sure you get there early on the day. good luck

Is there anyone here who was interviewed in mid march and got an acceptance letter??

Is there anyone here who was interviewed in mid march and got an acceptance letter??

Hey guys I interviewed on 3/9 and I got my letter of acceptance today. I am sooo excited. YAY. Now I just have to decide btwn ponce and UCC. Any advice? I think my heart belongs to UCC i liked it better during the interview. Anyways, we should start a facebook page so we can get to now each other. Congratz to all =D

Is there a facebook page for this year entering class of 2016? We should definitely start one.

Lets do it. I know Ponce has one. We are a bit behind

Just got off the phone with UCC, the admissions meeting was postponed yesterday! I have to wait another couple weeks for the response!

Does someone knows when classes starts in UCC?

I decided to decline my spot for this entering class. I'm sure a deserving waitlist student will get it! Best of luck to all of you! :luck:

has anyone else heard back? and do they send out rejection letters?

I have called several times the past 2 weeks. They kept postponing their admisiones meetings. Last I spoke with them, they said they were sending out final letters this week. I feel that my life is on hold. Hopefully, that letter arives soon!

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted already. Im a third year going into 4th year and I will be selling my car, TV, bedroom set and a bunch of books for first year. If any of you are interested please contact me. Best of luck to all of you!!!!

Last edited:
i got a letter saying i am on the waiting list. anybody else hear back?

Happy Sunday applicants.

I am graduating 4th year student and I want to fill you people in on some issues that I think you should know about. I had lunch with the Jose (the dean of admissions and the former dean of pediatrics) today and learned some insider information about UCC's LCME accreditation. It seems that UCC is having some financial problems and is about to be put on academic probation if things don't get sorted out. I asked the dean about the imminent financial crisis that will hit Puerto Rico very badly in the next few months and his position on what should be done (Europe's trouble are coming to the Caribbean). Surprisingly, I got an uncharacteristic "ni fu ni fa".

If you combine that with the fact that UCC has already received a stern warning from the LCME about teacher evals, I am almost certain this school is going under like SJB did. I suspect this is why Curitas has declined his spot. http://www.uccaribe.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Dear-Medical-Student.pdf

Both SJB and Ponce seem like better options because they are both accredited and don't have finance issues right now. (SJB had problems with their training hospital which are currently being resolved. I don't care because I'm done here but I wish someone would have told me.

Lastly, I would highly advise you folks not to take this LCME accreditation issue lightly. This is a cause for concern with PR schools. I had many friends at SJB who weren't able to transfer to UMiami after they lost accreditation last year. They shed tears like crazy. I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.....

GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE CONSIDER MY ADVICE!!! HOPE FOR THE BEST PREPARE FOR THE WORST! It is Puerto Rico, after all

(samerrai, I can tell from your username that you are not most likely not puerto rican. I would suggest you don't get involved with PR schools. Spend another year bolstering your app and apply to American schools. The whole culture is totally different and I guarantee you will be frightened by having to adjust to both new culture and new study habits for first year. But at the end of the day its your call...)

I don't think I will apply here for that reason
9.jpg

So do you think it will be put in probation? or get reaccredited?

To answer your question, I am 100% certain it will be placed on probation and not sure if it will be re-accredited, the reason being Puerto Rico's economy... it's in shambles

If I had to do it all over again, I would go to Ponce. They have just been accredited for more than 4 years. You will be in the clear this way and there will be very little risk. Besides, Ponce has the best reputation BY FAR in the States so they will help you go back like many of you probably want to do.

Second choice for me would be SJB just because they do not have finance-related problems. Once they get the hospital issue fixed, they will be accredited for sure.

You guys are lucky though because UCC gives you a 100% refund before classes start if you decide you do not want to go.

Boricuamedico: isn't SJB still not fully accredited? I'm moving back to la isla soon and planning to apply. Have you matched in PR?

Btw what do you mean when you say the first year is different in PR vs US schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.