2011-2012 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(all 250 words/1500 char):
1) Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician.
2) Describe a difficult life experience and how you dealt with it.
3) Our medical school is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following: high academic potential, disadvantaged background, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experience, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations. How would you contribute to the diversity of the University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities student body?

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is anyone familiar with the OOS situation here? (Beyond simple numbers from the MSAR)

does anyone know if UMN screens people before they assign secondaries or do they just give them to everyone? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if UMN screens people before they assign secondaries or do they just give them to everyone? thanks!

MSAR says secondary applications for UMN are sent to "all qualified applicants." So I guess that means they do screen?

MSAR says secondary applications for UMN are sent to "all qualified applicants." So I guess that means they do screen?

I received mine today. The UMN 'screens' but not for grades or MCAT, it is to verify that you have not exceeded your lifetime amount of applications or that you have not applied 3x in 3 years. You may only apply 3x, and there must be 1yr between 2nd and 3rd... those are the criteria they are looking for.... Other than that I am pretty sure everyone gets a secondary... Mine prompt was sent out today...

I'm instate and got the secondary today as well.

Can someone please post what the secondary questions are. Thanks!

I have the UMN-D ones currently, the UMN-TC ones haven't been sent just yet... I'll get them up as soon as I can.

Do you guys want the UMD ones as well??

Last edited:
What are the requirements for LOR for UMN-Twin Cities?

Three individual letters or one committee packet. Individual letters can be from any professor, physician, or employer.

so many short questions..... wow :eek:
How would they interview us, if they ask these many questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Duluth. The TC, to my knowledge hasn't been sent out yet. If you're out of state you won't get a Duluth secondary...

• Total number of applicants: 1,281
  • Total number of applicants interviewed: 148
  • Total number admitted (matriculated): 60
  • Minnesota residents: 53
  • Non-Minnesota residents: 7
  • Multicultural: 7
  • Female: 31
  • Male: 29
  • Mean age: 24 (admitted students 20 – 40 years old)
  • Total MCAT: 29.13
  • Overall GPA: 3.66
This is the profile for Duluth. I forgot Duluth doesn't do any screening before sending the secondary. If you don't have a strong tie to MN, you are not likely to get in. Strong tie means you have more than an aunt/uncle living here.

Also from their page "Preference is given to medical school applicants from Minnesota or to those with a high potential to practice medicine in Minnesota" and "Demonstrated commitment to practicing family medicine in rural Minnesota or in a Native American community (essential)"

I would use whatever your driver's license said. That is a permanent record, so if you changed your address each time, you need to list all of them. If you always had your parents address then you can use that address. That is MY opinion...

Has anyone received the secondary for the Twin Cities yet? I feel like they should be coming out soon.

I heard they take until ~Aug. I'm not really concerned...

Has anyone received the secondary for the Twin Cities yet? I feel like they should be coming out soon.

I am a soon to be first year at Minnesota and applied last cycle. I didn't get my secondary app from the U of Mn until August. Just be sure to have it done before the end of August, I think :p (And before you start school again if you are still in college.) Some people at my school waited until september to submit them, and they got a late interview and were wait listed (but still were accepted off the wait list eventually!)

You may want to consider looking at last cycle's thread for the essay prompts for secondaries and consider prewriting some essays. I do not believe they change much from cycle to cycle.

Just received the Twin Cities secondary.

Questions (250 words/1500 chars)
1) Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician.
2) Describe a difficult life experience and how you dealt with it.
3) Our medical school is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following: high academic potential, disadvantaged background, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experience, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations. How would you contribute to the diversity of the University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities student body?

The rest are various questions about what you're doing currently, ties to MN, gaps in education, etc.

still no secondary here... at least I can prewrite now. Thanks for posting the essay prompts schizotypy! Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.

secondary received for twin cities on 7/29, CA applicant 3.6/31O (non-URM)

I received mine already. On Tuesday 7/26

To those who have received the secondary, were you guys verified early on? Say in June?

i'm still waiting too. i'm in-state. does anyone know what the screening criteria for this school is in terms of mcat/gpa?

No idea. They sent me an email to apply after i took the MCAT. I didnt get screened by the more screen heavy schools so far. So confused. I submitted the first day. oh well not my problem. Its shark week now!

I was verified on 6/1 and received a couple of e-mails after that: One asking me to choose the campus and the other one to remind about the application timeline.

I got the secondary on wednesday

I doubt you will be screened out based on academics.

Still no secondary invitation here. IS with average stats for Minnesota. verified 7/6.

received secondary 7/29 and submitted yesterday... verified 7/6... IS/>32 MCAT/>3.95 GPA

For those who have not received secondaries yet, did anyone call up the admissions office the check on the status of the secondaries being sent out? For those who did receive it, did you call up at any point? I know that the medical school at the U is slow with their secondaries, but I have conflicting feelings. On the one hand, I feel like they are just being slow, and at the worst, they want our money so we will all probably get a secondary in the next few weeks. On the other hand, I'm concerned because I am an IS applicant with good stats and experiences, and I was verified by AMCAS back on 6/2 and the UofM on 7/6. It just seems strange why some people would get a secondary right away but not others.

For those who have not received secondaries yet, did anyone call up the admissions office the check on the status of the secondaries being sent out? For those who did receive it, did you call up at any point? I know that the medical school at the U is slow with their secondaries, but I have conflicting feelings. On the one hand, I feel like they are just being slow, and at the worst, they want our money so we will all probably get a secondary in the next few weeks. On the other hand, I'm concerned because I am an IS applicant with good stats and experiences, and I was verified by AMCAS back on 6/2 and the UofM on 7/6. It just seems strange why some people would get a secondary right away but not others.

I feel the exact same way. I don't want to call just quite yet because it seems a little neurotic to do so. Also IS with good stats, experiences and got the same 7/6 verification from the U. I never thought getting the U secondary would be the thing to worry about but this is really weird.

Last edited:
On the one hand, ...... On the other hand, .......

That sounds like one of my ethical dilemma's essay.

Anyhow, I am "OOS" and received the secondary for the U of M, Twin Cities last week. I never called them or anything.

If this was me i would be a little concerned but not worried

I never called the U (I mean the Twin Cities campus FYI). I got the secondary invite via email... I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point, though, because I have heard that they are slow compared to most other schools about getting out their secondary invites. I'd definitely give it a few more weeks

I can only tell you it isn't a stats issue. Mine aren't that great, I have strong PB work, but not a good overall GPA, and I received mine right away... If you've heard from Duluth this early its bad news... I promise...

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels this way. BMEN is probably right that we should be concerned but not worried. I suppose it's just too early to be worried about something like this. If it goes another week, though...

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels this way. BMEN is probably right that we should be concerned but not worried. I suppose it's just too early to be worried about something like this. If it goes another week, though...

Yar. i mean from what people said last year it was around august. a little neurotic concern is granted. worry? Wouldnt worry until late august/sept

Status
Not open for further replies.