2011-2012 University of Nebraska Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Why yes it is! I don't know much about U of N but I'm applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
its my state school. hoping for some nebraska love!

You've probably got good chances then. I have relatives in Nebraska and I really love the state.

You've probably got good chances then. I have relatives in Nebraska and I really love the state.

I love Omaha so I'm stoked. What's the Creighton-Nebraska rivalry like? Nonexistent or crazy? Lol

UNMC sent me the "secondary" today. anyone else

UNMC sent me the "secondary" today. anyone else

Got it. It was basically just a payment, right? I mean I hope I didn't miss something, but there wasn't even a place to fill in my name... No essays?

dont think so. Check last years thread to see the deal with whats up.

I believe I got the "real" secondary yesterday from Nebraska. It basically asks for LORs, a picture of yourself, and gives you a list of interview dates to choose from. No essays! Did anyone else get this? By the way I am OOS but go to college (Creighton) in state.

I got an email saying i didn't pass prelim screening. They said i could appeal it if i had strong ties to the state.

Luckily all my family lives there and is from there. yay for being adopted by corn people!

hopefully it passes.

I got an email saying i didn't pass prelim screening. They said i could appeal it if i had strong ties to the state.

Luckily all my family lives there and is from there. yay for being adopted by corn people!

Rejected as well, except I'm Illinois corn and not Nebraska corn so I don't think I'm going to appeal.

I may do the EDP at UNMC but I havent decided. The bellcurve grading system is a little off putting as well as their lack of electives. But nonetheless it is a great school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected as well, except I'm Illinois corn and not Nebraska corn so I don't think I'm going to appeal.

I'm from Colorado and was rejected, but I appealed because of what was written on their admissions website (they ask for OOS with rural or disadvantaged backgrounds--I arguably have both). I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed though--they really couldn't have looked very hard at my primary. And paying that $70.00 just to be rejected two days later really sucks.:(

I'm from Colorado and was rejected, but I appealed because of what was written on their admissions website (they ask for OOS with rural or disadvantaged backgrounds--I arguably have both). I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed though--they really couldn't have looked very hard at my primary. And paying that $70.00 just to be rejected two days later really sucks.:(

thats what pisses me off. Hopefully they get back soon. Anybody heard back

OOS from Colorado and got screened in. That really sucks MST, I hope your appeal works out well.

Just got an e-mail saying i got an interview on October 7th. That was quick

My appeal went through. Great Success?

Those who received the secondary, how did you send the picture

My appeal went through. Great Success?

Meaning you're back in review or you got an interview??

I just uploaded a photo that was configured to the sizes they specified.

Meaning you're back in review or you got an interview??

I just uploaded a photo that was configured to the sizes they specified.

Back in review. Sent me the secondary to choose my dates.

How/where did you upload?

oh hey interview on the 7th of october. What is up

oh hey interview on the 7th of october. What is up

Way to go! Congrats! I can't rememeber where I uploaded it. I think it was just below my name or something like that.

Way to go! Congrats! I can't rememeber where I uploaded it. I think it was just below my name or something like that.

Hmm guess my browser didnt display it. Think it'd be ok if i emailed it to them or turned it in when i go to my interview?

Thanks! Im super excited. Most of my family is in omaha so itll be awesome. Im going to try to score some tickets to the Nebraska Ohio State game that saturday

Hmm guess my browser didnt display it. Think it'd be ok if i emailed it to them or turned it in when i go to my interview?

Thanks! Im super excited. Most of my family is in omaha so itll be awesome. Im going to try to score some tickets to the Nebraska Ohio State game that saturday

That's awesome! Well, I hope my appeal goes as well as yours did! I'm sure now that you have an interview you could just email the admissions department and say you wanted to make sure they had your photo on file and email it.

I'm interviewing on the 7th of october as well. See ya there!

Woot. Im super excited. I love Omaha. I think i got my tickets for the Ohio State NU game too

Any word on your appeal?. I'd pretty much have the same argument. Wondering what they say before I go ahead apply.

I'm a little confused about the LORs. This is what the site says:

"Do not send letters of recommendation until they are requested. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that all application materials, especially letters of recommendation, have been received by the admissions committee by the deadline."

So I should apply through amcas, but NOT have the letters sent, then when I do the secondary I should go back and edit my application so amcas can send them? This is really confusing.

I'm a little confused about the LORs. This is what the site says:

"Do not send letters of recommendation until they are requested. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that all application materials, especially letters of recommendation, have been received by the admissions committee by the deadline."

So I should apply through amcas, but NOT have the letters sent, then when I do the secondary I should go back and edit my application so amcas can send them? This is really confusing.

You cant really edit the secondary. once you get it its there and you put the letters. You should have the letters sent.

You cant really edit the secondary. once you get it its there and you put the letters. You should have the letters sent.

So just have them sent with my primary, like usual?

did everyone hear back within one week after making payment? I know that's what the email said, but I wanted to check on here first before I bothered calling the admissions office.

did everyone hear back within one week after making payment? I know that's what the email said, but I wanted to check on here first before I bothered calling the admissions office.

Pretty much. It took a week and a half for me

It took almost two weeks for me.

First rejection. Lame.

I'm disadvantaged, from the midwest, with an interest in rural medicine. I agree that they must not have read my primary very well. I MIGHT appeal if I don't hear from any other schools in a couple weeks. UGH.

Congrats on interviews, y'all!

First rejection. Lame.

I'm disadvantaged, from the midwest, with an interest in rural medicine. I agree that they must not have read my primary very well. I MIGHT appeal if I don't hear from any other schools in a couple weeks. UGH.

Congrats on interviews, y'all!

Ah im sorry : /. Appeal it. It doesnt hurt to.

Thanks for the replies BMEN and PCIRISH52. I got the rejection shortly after posting on the thread (I am OOS). But, I went ahead and sent in an appeal.

Am I right in saying it looks like it took only a week or so for them to review your appeal, BMEN?

Thanks for the replies BMEN and PCIRISH52. I got the rejection shortly after posting on the thread (I am OOS). But, I went ahead and sent in an appeal.

Am I right in saying it looks like it took only a week or so for them to review your appeal, BMEN?

About so. Week-week and a half. No more than two weeks. My appeal detailed my special circumstances and experiences growing up and my connection to the state. I tied the first to how it would benefit the student body of nebraska. Think of the appeal as a an essay on the secondary to make yourself shine

Ah im sorry : /. Appeal it. It doesnt hurt to.

Ok, I'll send it in. You're totally right that there's no reason not to. I was just feeling stubborn!

About so. Week-week and a half. No more than two weeks. My appeal detailed my special circumstances and experiences growing up and my connection to the state. I tied the first to how it would benefit the student body of nebraska. Think of the appeal as a an essay on the secondary to make yourself shine

I don't really have any particular ties to the state itself, just the region. You think that's what they're primarily looking for or for the other stuff mentioned?

Ok, I'll send it in. You're totally right that there's no reason not to. I was just feeling stubborn!

I don't really have any particular ties to the state itself, just the region. You think that's what they're primarily looking for or for the other stuff mentioned?

If you can do both great. If not work with what you have

I am really confused with the screen. Do they screen and then make you pay the 70, or do we pay the 70 to get screened?

I am really confused with the screen. Do they screen and then make you pay the 70, or do we pay the 70 to get screened?

you pay 70 then they screen you. If you pass the screen, interview. if not you can appeal with informaiton about unique experiences and ties to the state. If you pass, interview

Any word on your appeal?. I'd pretty much have the same argument. Wondering what they say before I go ahead apply.

Yeah, I actually got word today... got my secondary and am requesting the 14th of October for an interview. I'm honestly not sure what's going to happen though, because they also sent an e-mail saying that they don't believe I met the genetics coursework requirement. This e-mail after asking for my secondary! It's weird, because my major was microbiology and I have a bacterial genetics and molecular biology course that should work, so I'm writing them back and asking if they will consider that course. Honestly this is most confusing thing that has happened so far in my applications; do I still get to interview if I don't meet their course requirements? I wouldn't think so...

Yeah, I actually got word today... got my secondary and am requesting the 14th of October for an interview. I'm honestly not sure what's going to happen though, because they also sent an e-mail saying that they don't believe I met the genetics coursework requirement. This e-mail after asking for my secondary! It's weird, because my major was microbiology and I have a bacterial genetics and molecular biology course that should work, so I'm writing them back and asking if they will consider that course. Honestly this is most confusing thing that has happened so far in my applications; do I still get to interview if I don't meet their course requirements? I wouldn't think so...

Yea i had a similar scenario. I didn't list genetics as a future course work so i had to tell them I was taking one from the genetics department. But when i looked at UNMC site for courses to fulfill the requirement, they didnt have my school so we'll see

Don't think you can upload a photo by the way. The application says "write your name on the back" and asks for a 2"x2" size. Sounds like a physical photo to me.

Congratulations with the appeal. I guess I will initiate my AMCAS review, and take my chances. Did you send your appeal by email or mail. Also how long was it?

Congratulations with the appeal. I guess I will initiate my AMCAS review, and take my chances. Did you send your appeal by email or mail. Also how long was it?

I appealed via e-mail and I'm not sure how long it was. I just wrote til I felt like I'd said everything I needed to say. I'd guess maybe 5 or 6 paragraphs. Good luck on your appeal!

Anyone else interviewing here on the 14th of October?

I appealed on the 21st and I haven't heard anything back yet as of today, the 31st. I'm not holding out too much hope, though. I definitely did not write 5 or 6 paragraphs of explanation! More like 2 maybe. Oh well. Good luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.