2011-2012 University of Nebraska Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Waitlisted today but with a condition of deferment that would allow me to automatically enroll in the class of 2013 if not accepted into this year's class. So I guess I'm in, just not sure when I'd start.

I'm IS and the letter was dated March 8th. Also, it did not say anything regarding my placement on the list or what quartile I'm in.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
the letter I received today said I am on the alternate list and in the top half of the list. is the alternate list the same as the "wait list" thats so often referred to? i remember Gigi talking about this towards the end of the our interview day but i can't recall the specifics as to what was said about the wait list... i'm assuming she mentioned something at all the interview days, and if so, do any of you guys remember the specifics? any help would be greatly appreciated! congrats again to all accepted!

Pat

the letter I received today said I am on the alternate list and in the top half of the list. is the alternate list the same as the "wait list" thats so often referred to? i remember Gigi talking about this towards the end of the our interview day but i can't recall the specifics as to what was said about the wait list... i'm assuming she mentioned something at all the interview days, and if so, do any of you guys remember the specifics? any help would be greatly appreciated! congrats again to all accepted!

Pat

Yeah Pat, I'm pretty sure that Nebraska's "alternate list" is a wait list. I think you should definitely feel free to email Gigi asking a bit more about it, or calling the adcom office. Showing interest can only be a good thing for the wait list, as long as you don't completely overdo it.

I also don't remember if she said anything that specific about the wait list on the interview day, I think she just mentioned that there was one and didn't go into more detail. You should feel good about being in the top half of the list, and know that not everyone who is interviewed gets on the waitlist at Nebraska, as many other schools do. What you can always do is send them significant updates; most importantly grades and anything like a publication, major promotion, or some other significant accomplishment you've achieved. You might want to ask Gigi first if there's some specific format, or some specific person you should send this stuff to to make sure it's formally added to your file.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah Pat, I'm pretty sure that Nebraska's "alternate list" is a wait list. I think you should definitely feel free to email Gigi asking a bit more about it, or calling the adcom office. Showing interest can only be a good thing for the wait list, as long as you don't completely overdo it.

I also don't remember if she said anything that specific about the wait list on the interview day, I think she just mentioned that there was one and didn't go into more detail. You should feel good about being in the top half of the list, and know that not everyone who is interviewed gets on the waitlist at Nebraska, as many other schools do. What you can always do is send them significant updates; most importantly grades and anything like a publication, major promotion, or some other significant accomplishment you've achieved. You might want to ask Gigi first if there's some specific format, or some specific person you should send this stuff to to make sure it's formally added to your file.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I plan on giving Gigi a call in the next few days.

Pat

So, I am an OOS student who was given a deferred entrance to UNMC for next year. I was also accepted to Creighton. My primary worry about UNMC is the z-score. Can someone please offer me an unbiased opinion on this matter? Thank you so much.

any other alternate list people out there that have heard anything?

I received the official acceptance for the class starting this fall about 2 weeks after the initial waitlist and deferment. So, it seems they are moving through the top quarter fairly quickly.

I received the official acceptance for the class starting this fall about 2 weeks after the initial waitlist and deferment. So, it seems they are moving through the top quarter fairly quickly.

Congratulations! Hopefully the wait list continues to move!

Hope this is good news for some of you, but I've finally made the difficult decision of withdrawing my acceptance to Nebraska. Hope one of y'all gets my seat!

I also had a really nice scholarship offer from them, I dunno how they decide to distribute that money, but I hope that will also become good news for someone!

are you out of state and received a scholarship for tuition waiver or in state?

any other alternate list members gain acceptance yet? its been pretty quiet on here!

I also withdrew from UNMC on May 15th, I was an in-state applicant. Best of luck with those of you still waiting to hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm new to SDN. I'm in the top half of the waitlist at UNMC. Gigi told me back in April that the Top half has gotten in the last 12 years she's been at UNMC and told me not to worry. But I haven't heard anything back from UNMC yet and when i called her yesterday she said the list was moving a bit slower than previous years. I'm just wondering if other people know somethings about the waitlist at UNMC. Such as how many people are on it/hoe many people typically get accepted off of it? Does anyone know how many people have been moved off of the list already?

Hey omava, I'm in the top half as well and haven't heard anything yet. Gigi told me the same thing regarding the last twelve years. But one past thread, I think the 2002 cycle, said they didn't make it through the top half. So I'm not exactly sure what is true. I hadn't heard that theyre moving slower than previous years. That sucks though because that's what they said in the thread for 2002 when they didn't make it through the top half.

nevermind it was the 2006-2007 class that they didnt even make it through the first quarter of the waitlist. i dont understand why Gigi would tell us that they've gone through the top half the last twelve years when at least 3 of the last twelve years they haven't.....

patrickj, did Gigi tell you which quartile you were in? she didn't tell me where I was on the list but I wonder if she would at least tell me that.

no she hasn't. i don't think she will but i'm thinking about giving her a call this friday to talk about it and to see if theres been any updates. i know that some people have been given deferment to next years class if they don't make it in off the alternate list this cycle, so i'm assuming that those people are in the top quartile, and we are in the second quartile of the top half because it just said "top half" on my letter and nothing about deferment. any other suggestions on what i should bring up with her? if you dont mind, what all did she say to you about this year being slow moving in regards to the waitlist?

I would just ask her about the deferment and what it means if you havent been offered that option. I would ask her if she thinks they'll make it through the top half of the waiting list at the rate things are going. Her exact quote to me was "I don't know if the list is moving as quickly this year as in previous years". I took that to mean its moving slowly... but you can ask her about that as well. Ask her about the 2002 cycle if you want, I'm curious about that.

sounds good. ill let you know what she says tomorrow. i live in hawaii so itll probably be in the afternoon your time when i talk to her if your in nebraska.....

so i just spoke with Gigi. she said that compared to recent years the alternate list is moving "much, much slower". she also said shes surprised bc with how many people have multiple acceptances she thought there would have been a lot more movement by now. then she said at this rate, it may be that they won't make it through the top half, but that its still somewhat early and that there is still quite a bit of time left. i asked her if she'd recommend filling out an application for the 2012-2013 cycle and she said she wouldn't recommend doing that yet and to wait until the deadline to fill that out... kind of disheartening

Hope you guys hear good news soon. I know how frustrating the waiting can be.

I would recommend preparing for next year and work on improving your apps. UNMC provides exit interviews for applicants not accepted (over the phone or in person), and they tell you what the admission committee wants you to do differently to be accepted next year. Not sure if this is available to you while on the alternate list but ask Gigi about it, because you will want that information as you prepare your application.

I have also heard of two occasions where people were accepted off the alternate list only a few weeks before the start of class, so movement does still happen... just very slowly.

Best of luck!

As a reapplicant to UNMC who successfully got in this year, I definitely second the idea that you should request an exit interview. I got asked about it during my interview this year and what things I did to address those recommendations.

yes they do exit interviews untill may 31st. already had one, thank you

is it still possible to get that exit interview? I wasnt sure what that meant in the letter when they said "another review" of your application. I thought it might be to re evaluate where you are on the waitlist or something.....

is it still possible to get that exit interview? I wasnt sure what that meant in the letter when they said "another review" of your application. I thought it might be to re evaluate where you are on the waitlist or something.....

Give the office a call and see if they can do it for you quick. It takes less than 5 minutes and they are very specific and concise. I imagine they just go off the notes the admission committee jots down when reviewing your file.

i called Gigi yesterday and apparently she deletes all of her "notes" for each applicant after May 31. apparently the "review" talked about in the letter is the exit interview. i was curious what it meant, but should have asked intstead of waiting until two days ago. hard lesson. she just offered up some general advice for reapplication.

i emailed Gigi yesterday and she said there has been no movement in the alternate list since june 11th.

Status
Not open for further replies.