Canadian Psychology Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi All,

Has anyone heard back from OISE's SCCP program?

Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from Dalhousie, Lakehead (masters) or McGill regarding their clinical psychology programs? I have not heard anything about any interviews or any letters on any of the sites. I'm not even sure if the three of them do formal interviews anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still waiting to hear back from Dalhousie too. I thought they were the one program I would get into for sure but now I think a rejection is coming my way.
Dal had an open house last year for top applicants and it must have pasted by now.

I am not sure if they held that this year or not. I would contact them, but their website explicitly says not to inquire.

I work in the department at Dal and I know their first round of offers has already gone out. They don't do formal interviews.

Just got accepted to the clinical Ph.D program at Concordia! This was my number one choice, so I'm very, very excited. Plus, I get to move to Montreal!

Just got accepted to the clinical Ph.D program at Concordia! This was my number one choice, so I'm very, very excited. Plus, I get to move to Montreal!

Nice! Congrats, montreal is a great city. :)

I work in the department at Dal and I know their first round of offers has already gone out. They don't do formal interviews.
Do you know when these offers went out and how?

I don't know what method was used to inform people of decisions. I only know offers went out because someone in their 4th year at Dal got accepted into the Clinical program.

Did anyone apply to, or know anything about, any counselling or school psych programs and/or hear back from any yet?

One of my friends was accepted to McGill's counselling program yesterday.

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone currently in a program let me know what their first clinical practica consisted of?

I've have applied to St. Joe's and CAMH... I haven't heard anything from CAMH, but that may or may not actually surprise me since I heard they selectively avoid taking people from my school. Are there any other sites other than these in the t.o. area.

can anyone currently in a program let me know what their first clinical practica consisted of?

I've have applied to St. Joe's and CAMH... I haven't heard anything from CAMH, but that may or may not actually surprise me since I heard they selectively avoid taking people from my school. Are there any other sites other than these in the t.o. area.

There is also Toronto Rehab and Hospital for Sick Kids.

I don't know what method was used to inform people of decisions. I only know offers went out because someone in their 4th year at Dal got accepted into the Clinical program.
Oh, okay. Are you able to PM me their POI? Also - someone posted on Grad Cafe today that they were accepted to McGill's Clinical program. Can you let us know how the offers went out (mass e-mail, etc.) and can you PM me your POI?

Did anyone hear back from York?
I spoke to a prof at York last week. This year they received 190 applicants for their Clinical Psych program. About half were shortlisted (85 or so). Then supervisors would go down the list from the top of the list to the bottom and interview only the first few students who selected that prof as a POI. For example, for the POI I had expressed interest in, there were 12 students ahead of me on the shortlist, 3 of whom she interviewed.
Not sure if York is DONE interviews for sure yet.

Ryerson is still in the process of making decisions on who to shortlist.

Western received almost 200 applications this year for 8 spots. 24 were invited to their interview day. For the professor I expressed an interest in working with, he had 56 applicants interested in working with him as well.

I spoke to a prof at York last week. This year they received 190 applicants for their Clinical Psych program. About half were shortlisted (85 or so). Then supervisors would go down the list from the top of the list to the bottom and interview only the first few students who selected that prof as a POI. For example, for the POI I had expressed interest in, there were 12 students ahead of me on the shortlist, 3 of whom she interviewed.
Not sure if York is DONE interviews for sure yet.

Ryerson is still in the process of making decisions on who to shortlist.

Western received almost 200 applications this year for 8 spots. 24 were invited to their interview day. For the professor I expressed an interest in working with, he had 56 applicants interested in working with him as well.
I like knowing the numbers. It reminds me that for those who chose to apply to Clinical Psych programs across Canada, the competition is steep. A prof I spoke with said it's the second most competitive program after Med School to get in to. Feedback I personally received on how to increase my competitive edge was to score higher on the Psych GRE.

It is, in fact, actually more difficult to get into clinical Ph.D programs these days then med school, in large part because medical schools can accept more students due to them paying their own way. The limited amount of internships and and funding really makes our field the most competitive out there. USC received ~500 applications this year for 6 spots... that's a roughly 1.2% acceptance rate .. all med schools are higher than that.

It is, in fact, actually more difficult to get into clinical Ph.D programs these days then med school, in large part because medical schools can accept more students due to them paying their own way. The limited amount of internships and and funding really makes our field the most competitive out there. USC received ~500 applications this year for 6 spots... that's a roughly 1.2% acceptance rate .. all med schools are higher than that.

I would agree with this. I've been told repeatedly that it is the hardest program to get into in Canada. This is also due to the fact that the applicants are normally very strong students with honours degrees and sometimes multiple degrees!

I would agree with this. I've been told repeatedly that it is the hardest program to get into in Canada. This is also due to the fact that the applicants are normally very strong students with honours degrees and sometimes multiple degrees!

:thumbup:

I always told myself that if I don't get into clinical psych this year (this being my second round), I will do med school as my backup :p.

:thumbup:

I always told myself that if I don't get into clinical psych this year (this being my second round), I will do med school as my backup :p.

It is pretty bad when that is considered an easier plan! Good luck to you and everyone! I am still waiting and trying to keep it together!

Off-topic but curious: does anyone know anything about the Memorial University Clinical Psy D program? It seems fairly new and still unaccredited, but I was wondering if anyone heard particularly good/bad things about it. Apparently you can apply straight to the Psy D after your bachelor's degree, much like most programs in the states: did anyone apply?

I love it when there's a Canadian thread! :)

Off-topic but curious: does anyone know anything about the Memorial University Clinical Psy D program? It seems fairly new and still unaccredited, but I was wondering if anyone heard particularly good/bad things about it. Apparently you can apply straight to the Psy D after your bachelor's degree, much like most programs in the states: did anyone apply?

I love it when there's a Canadian thread! :)
Someone I know is doing it now. I believe she found an internship, but she had a bit of difficulty because the program is not accredited.

True. I was told that Clinical Psych is harder to get into than med school from everyone aside from the prof I spoke with at York. Maybe she is misinformed!

Rejected today from Western (email) and York (checked online account status). Ryerson is still taking their sweet time, which is fine with me. My friend has an interview there tomorrow.

I am patiently waiting to hear from both McGill and Dal. Does anyone know anything besides what was already posted here?

Does anyone know when we'll hear back from OGS/SSHRC/NSERC/CIHR?
I think the website says mid-April but that probably means late-April ~ early-May. Last year, MA SSHRC was announced around the first week of May (according to the thegradcafe posts),

Accepted to Ryerson Clinical Psychology! So ecstatic!

Congrats!

[I really have nothing to add, but I saw your name on the main board--and for some reason it makes me hungry(-ier). And I don't eat goose. So I thought I'd comment. :p]

I think the website says mid-April but that probably means late-April ~ early-May. Last year, MA SSHRC was announced around the first week of May (according to the thegradcafe posts),

Yeah typically not until mid-April to May. It sucks that we won't know by April 15th, since it's a factor in whether I should stick to a Canadian program or go to the states.

aren't programs in the states way more expensive though? at least from reading american posts about funding, debt, etc, it seems like the two countries are totally different.

aren't programs in the states way more expensive though? at least from reading american posts about funding, debt, etc, it seems like the two countries are totally different.

That's true, but the PhD programs provide better funding (or at least the ones I applied to). Usually a tuition waiver plus a nice stipend, health package and travel funds to conferences. The ones I applied to in Canada (e.g. Windsor, Simon Fraser, York) don't have a tuition waiver and the stipend from TAship is hardly competitive compared to the states. If I receive the OGS/NSERC/SSHRC/CIHR however...

I just want to bump this up to see if anyone has heard anything from Dal, McGill or Lakehead!

Rejected (unofficially) from Ryerson but it will be official within the next couple of weeks. OISE's Counseling Psych is sending out acceptances within the next two days.

Hi! I also applied to Ryerson and OISE. Where did u get the info abt the status of your app at Ryerson and the info about OISE? I havn't heard anything from Ryerson as well, does it mean I am also rejected?

Hi! I also applied to Ryerson and OISE. Where did u get the info abt the status of your app at Ryerson and the info about OISE? I havn't heard anything from Ryerson as well, does it mean I am also rejected?

I wrote to the graduate administrator the week of the March 5th and she said they hoped to have all offers extended by the end of this past week, so out by March 16th. I know that each prof has a wait list but I am not sure on the notification process for wait-listed applicants.

I know that at least 2 of the 8 students accepted have confirmed their acceptances. If you want to know which two profs you can PM me.

Not true. Called OISE's grad office on Thursday. They said acceptances would be mailed out within the next couple of days (Thursday & Friday of last week). Meaning, depending on where you live, your acceptance might not reach you by mail until mid this week or the end of this week.

The link you've posted for OISE is last year's results (2011-2012). September would be 2012-2013.

Not true. Called OISE's grad office on Thursday. They said acceptances would be mailed out within the next couple of days (Thursday & Friday of last week). Meaning, depending on where you live, your acceptance might not reach you by mail until mid this week or the end of this week.

The link you've posted for OISE is last year's results (2011-2012). September would be 2012-2013.

Yup, my friend got her acceptance letter today!

Does anyone have an update about UBC (clinical program)? Did anyone accept their offer?

TIA :)

Just received a letter today from OISE, stating that I am on a wait list. Happy and sad--happy that I am qualified and that I might actually get in... but it sucks that I have to wait and be all miserable for another 2 months. Anyhow, good luck to all; to those who wish to withdraw, please do so so I can get in
biggrin.png

is anyone else going to uOttawa for the clinical program? I would really like to talk to someone else going into the program.

So I was finally going to settle on my decision yesterday and then suddenly got an email from my POI at the University of Victoria asking for an interview! I thought for sure that I had already been rejected from them as I didn't hear back for an interview in February and early March. Don't give up guys...there's still a chance at this point :)! Did anyone else interview or is planning to go to UVic?

View attachment 18873

:)

Seriously, has anyone heard from the clinical neuropsych stream or received an acceptance letter yet?

A friend of mine received her acceptance letter, and accepted already.

I love how York takes forever with their rejections. I haven't gotten rejected yet, which I think might mean I am on their shortlist (that's what happened last year) so I will probably receive a rejection letter in July.

Has anyone heard back from UNB -- rejections or waitlisted?
My online application status hasn't changed since I submitted my application.