Counseling Psychology faculty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigpsychguy

Reaction score
Do folks w Counseling Psych PhDs ever hold faculty positions/teach in Departments of Psychology with Clinical folks at universities, or only in Departments of Education. Vice versa? Is it just precedent to stay with your group?

Members don't see this ad.

In regards to training programs, some Counseling Psych programs are housed in departments of education, some in psychology, some in another type of department.

Whenever I have looked at/applied for faculty positions, some state a preference for clinical or counseling, and some say either/related field is fine. I have been faculty in psychology departments with a major undergrad focus (and no training graduate program), and both job postings stated either subfield was fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Do folks w Counseling Psych PhDs ever hold faculty positions/teach in Departments of Psychology with Clinical folks at universities, or only in Departments of Education. Vice versa? Is it just precedent to stay with your group?
In short, yes as I have multiple peers who graduated from counseling programs and now hold tenure track faculty positions in clinical programs.

In addition to working really hard and publishing prolifically, a commonality for these individuals is that they were paired with clinical science focused PIs during grad school and continued those interests beyond grad school.

If somebody was researching what one traditionally thinks of as more counseling specific topics (e.g., attitudes towards counseling as a predictor of help seeking behaviors, vocational/career, etc), I doubt there would be many future academic pathways in clinical psych.

In the end, your CV is usually more key than any program, specific degree, internship, etc. Good luck!

sure we do. most of our programs aren't in psych but I do. i think it's just the larger fit to the program than any sort of club. that's all it was for me.

Also, I disagree with @summerbabe - anything related to engagement with psychotherapy is directly relevant to findable grants, tt lines, etc. So are any of the other tenets as well.

Reactions: 1 user