1 or 2 LOR's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!

I notice some schools require 1 LOR, but some require 2 LOR. When you sumbit your AASDA application, did you sumbit 1 science LOR or 2 LOR to be safe? Thanks!

LOR = letter of reference.

Members don't see this ad.

Smooth Operater said:
Hello guys!

I notice some schools require 1 LOR, but some require 2 LOR. When you sumbit your AASDA application, did you sumbit 1 science LOR or 2 LOR to be safe? Thanks!

LOR = letter of reference.

Think about it...if School A requires 2 LORs, and School B requires 1 LOR, and you send only 1 LOR to AADSAS, are you eligible for both schools???

this aint rocket science dude....

Try to submit three. There are many dental schools that want three. The more, the safer!

Members don't see this ad :)
savvysearch said:
Try to submit three. There are many dental schools that want three. The more, the safer!

HA!...Before posting my thread, I should have read this, it's essentially the same question I have!

You see, I do have 3 LOR's, but the problem is that 2 are science and 1 is a dentist. Now, what do you guys think,

is that a good combination to have?

I'm sure this is on a lot of peoples mind - what's the best combo to have?

I was thinking: 2 sci, 1 non-sci, and 1 dentist (can't go wrong), but my problem is that I don't know any non-sci professors! What should I do :scared: .

Any help appreciated!

When they say "ONE LOR" they are likely talking about one from a pre-professional committee at your undergrad.

For me, I needed 2 or 3 letters from science professors. They sent the letters to the committee and they composed a "cover letter" either recomending me or not. They also sent the LORs from the professors as well as any others i may have had in one package. The sent them directly to the schools i applied to.

I did not use the ADSAS LOR service. I was told that schools prefer a committee letter. However if you have been out of school for a while, or maybe your school does not have a committee then adsas is fine.

the best combination to cover every school is the following...
3 sci letters
1 non sci letter (you can sub a sci letter if nice to the adcom at requesting school)
1 dentist letter
1 to 2 personal reference letters (ie volunteer supervisor etc.)

J2AZ said:
the best combination to cover every school is the following...
3 sci letters
1 non sci letter (you can sub a sci letter if nice to the adcom at requesting school)
1 dentist letter
1 to 2 personal reference letters (ie volunteer supervisor etc.)

hey jaz, thanks for your post, but i was wondering, isn't 6-7 LOR's overdoing it a bit? i mean, doesn't that sound a little too desperate? i'm the one needing advice, so i don't mean to take anything away from your input, but on second thought, don't you think three is enough? that's what i thought at least.

my only problem was, who to get for those 3 LOR's. I have two sci profs and one dentist in the bag. any other opinions? thanks again for all your posts! :)