1 week residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinesux

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Northeast PA is opening up it's first nursing doctorate program. You can get your doctorate ONLINE with only a one week residency to complete the program! :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

http://www.wilkes.edu/pages/194.asp?item=55324&rp=1142

Medicine is going down the crapper faster than I could ever imagine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
a lot of institutions are using the current health care crisis as a way to make money and mass produce health care professionals without any actually credibility.

medicine is not what it use to be anymore.

1 week, wtf.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even with the word "RESIDENCY" in the title, this thread still gets moved out of the "general RESIDENCY forum"! Amazing. Do you really think I give a rat's AR$E what RN's or NP's think of doing a 1 week residency? Seriously, why do I even bother starting threads anymore?

Not that I agree, but to be fair, I think the title is a bit misleading.

it's not 1 wk = DNP...

"Nurses who have completed a master’s degree may enroll in the program and earn it by completing 30 credits in about two and a half years. Nurses with a bachelor’s degree enrolling in the program will complete 67 credits. Students with a bachelor’s degree who enroll part-time will complete the degree in about five years."

then it's followed by a 1 wk residency

I think the students actually do all the didactics online then have a 1 week on campus seminar(in residence) then do their clinical time with preceptors at clinical sites just like a regular np program. not that I am a big fan of this model of education as I think there is value in face to face didactics, but the original thread was misleading.many dnp programs are set up like this with classroom done by distance ed then clinicals done in the traditional fashion.

Not that I agree, but to be fair, I think the title is a bit misleading.

it's not 1 wk = DNP...

"Nurses who have completed a master’s degree may enroll in the program and earn it by completing 30 credits in about two and a half years. Nurses with a bachelor’s degree enrolling in the program will complete 67 credits. Students with a bachelor’s degree who enroll part-time will complete the degree in about five years."

then it's followed by a 1 wk residency

Yes
It's 2 years masters + additional 2.5 years for DNP
or
BSN + Experience as RN + 4.5 years for DNP

Then 1 week residency (I don't even know why they call it that.)

Yes
or

In academics, residency usually refers to being on campus not in clinical.

What a joke... you consider yourself capable of practicing independently with that level of education compared to the 4 years of undergrad + 4 years of med school + 3-7 years of residency a physician goes through. Why would anyone choose to see a NP independently with that level of training?

Medicine is truly doomed if we let these wanna be doctors continue their push for independence.

I actually took the time to look at the site, didn't see NP being offered? Did I miss something? Where is Tauras when you need in depth investigations? Laur?

I actually took the time to look at the site, didn't see NP being offered? Did I miss something? Where is Tauras when you need in depth investigations? Laur?

There is a big push to phase out the traditional NP qualification. Many groups are working feverishly to institute a 2015 rollout requirement. In that I mean all new NP's would have to meet this DNP requirement. While I have no problem with the DNP educational concept in a vacuum, the push for indi DNP practice is the anti-money shot IMHO. Of course, this has been discussed ad nauseam in this forum.

There is a big push to phase out the traditional NP qualification. Many groups are working feverishly to institute a 2015 rollout requirement. In that I mean all new NP's would have to meet this DNP requirement. While I have no problem with the DNP educational concept in a vacuum, the push for indi DNP practice is the anti-money shot IMHO. Of course, this has been discussed ad nauseam in this forum.

I have not heard of the "phase out”? Do you mean non DNP NPs would not be able to practice without a DNP after 2015? Can you provide a reference?

I have not heard of the "phase out"? Do you mean non DNP NPs would not be able to practice without a DNP after 2015? Can you provide a reference?

I think the older NP's will be grandfathered. However, the current pathway to NP (MSN as the terminal degree) is looking like it will phase out in 2015.

A quick google search will bring up a plethora of articles and discussions on this DNP concept. I have an article (Actually, a two article compilation) from the JNPE on the topic of transition, thoughts, and ideas. It sums the concepts quite well. In fact, from what I gathered, thoughts are all over the place :confused::

"Evaluating the Doctorate of Nursing Practice: Moving Toward a New Vision of Nurse Practitioner Education"
Joan M. Stanley
The Journal for Nurse Practitioners
November 2005 (Vol. 1, Issue 4, Pages 209-212)

For the article go to the link below and search all periodicals with the phrase "Doctor Nurse Practitioner."

http://www.npjournal.org/search/quick

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes
or

Maniacal....Work full-time and earn a 'doctorate' in 4.5 years. It's a dangeriously flawed educational model? What does this compare to in hours of training didactically and clinically?

Do they even have as much training as an EMT-P

EMT-B = 110
EMT-I = 200-400
EMT-P = 1000 or more

My understanding is this is just their classroom training....

= minimum of 1320 hours training for the average EMT-P
Can you really train a health care practitioner in the same or even less time than it takes to train an EMT-P?

"EMT training programs for certification vary greatly from course to course, provided that each course at least meets local and national requirements. In the United States, EMT-Bs receive at least 110 hours of classroom training, often reaching or exceeding 120 hours. EMT-Is generally have 200–400 hours of training, and EMT-Ps are trained for 1,000 hours or more."

Bed side nursing deserves the highest of respect.....but those trying to practice medicine and more concerning....practice independently are truly frightening in my opinion.

Please remember.....education isn't measure in number of years......
it should be measured in classroom hours/course content/clinical training content/and hours of clinical training/and competencies tested comprehensively.

Not with blurred lines like 4.5 years of part time online classroom education while you work 40 hours/week.

Maniacal....Work full-time and earn a 'doctorate' in 4.5 years. It's a dangeriously flawed educational model? What does this compare to in hours of training didactically and clinically?

Do they even have as much training as an EMT-P

EMT-B = 110
EMT-I = 200-400
EMT-P = 1000 or more

My understanding is this is just their classroom training....

No, this is typically total training; classroom, lab, and clinical environment.

= minimum of 1320 hours training for the average EMT-P
Can you really train a health care practitioner in the same or even less time than it takes to train an EMT-P?

"EMT training programs for certification vary greatly from course to course, provided that each course at least meets local and national requirements. In the United States, EMT-Bs receive at least 110 hours of classroom training, often reaching or exceeding 120 hours. EMT-Is generally have 200–400 hours of training, and EMT-Ps are trained for 1,000 hours or more."

Bed side nursing deserves the highest of respect.....but those trying to practice medicine and more concerning....practice independently are truly frightening in my opinion.

Please remember.....education isn't measure in number of years......
it should be measured in classroom hours/course content/clinical training content/and hours of clinical training/and competencies tested comprehensively.

Not with blurred lines like 4.5 years of part time online classroom education while you work 40 hours/week.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...O2XEL2&sig=AHIEtbTC-2uU1R6CBQhFxr8vU7H_SidJ5g

Check page 18. You can expect average results with an average student after 1,000-1,200 hours. These are not static requirements, however.

This curriculum is being changed as the national SOP becomes implemented. For example, the EMT-I/85 is being phased out and the I-99 will have to transition to paramedic. The new terminology will be AEMT. I am more than happy to post links to the national SOP concepts.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...O2XEL2&sig=AHIEtbTC-2uU1R6CBQhFxr8vU7H_SidJ5g

Check page 18. You can expect average results with an average student after 1,000-1,200 hours. These are not static requirements, however.

This curriculum is being changed as the national SOP becomes implemented. For example, the EMT-I/85 is being phased out and the I-99 will have to transition to paramedic. The new terminology will be AEMT. I am more than happy to post links to the national SOP concepts.

Thanks for the update and correcting me. I was simply looking for something to compare 'DNP' training for perspective. I have no background in EMS...
Best. L.

Thanks for the update and correcting me. I was simply looking for something to compare 'DNP' training for perspective. I have no background in EMS...
Best. L.

No problem. I think EMS is not a valid comparison because we are talking about vastly different concepts. A better comparison would be between an RN and a paramedic. In the setting of an associate degree nurse, I would dare say the length of education will be roughly equivalent.

We can simply look at the various DNP curricula and make our own theories on the level of education preparation.

A better comparison would be between an RN and a paramedic. In the setting of an associate degree nurse, I would dare say the length of education will be roughly equivalent.

AGREE, especially with more and more states going to 2 yr a.s. level medic programs. some states even require an a.s. now for medics to practice....and there are b.s. and m.s. level medic programs now(the m.s. level also include lots of management and public health and safety coursework to prepare future ems administrators).

How's this to make us all feel bad...

To be a licensed Cosmetologist in California you need 1600 hours.

1 week??? that has to be a joke. My residency orientation was one week long!!!

How's this to make us all feel bad...

To be a licensed Cosmetologist in California you need 1600 hours.

Hey, serious stuff. You kill somebody and it's all over, no big deal, you are at the terminal end of health care. Give somebody a bad hair cut and that person will have to deal with the sequela for many weeks thereafter.

Hey, serious stuff. You kill somebody and it's all over, no big deal, you are at the terminal end of health care. Give somebody a bad hair cut and that person will have to deal with the sequela for many weeks thereafter.

You're such a guy. You completely don't understand how tragic bad hair can be for a female.

I have a vague idea. Once in a while I will walk by the hair salon at WalMart, and "bang" the mullet hunter will shoot me down. Upon returning home mulletless, Mrs. Del Norte is quite unhappy with my new look, or lack thereof.

WalMart + hair styling= terminal hair badness. Sorry, but even the 5 guys from "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" couldn't rehabilitate that.

You could, however, bust out your old Davey Crockett coonskin cap and wear that. With the right attitude, you could start a fad!

You could, however, bust out your old Davey Crockett coonskin cap and wear that. With the right attitude, you could start a fad!

Over the Holidays, I saw a guy who had cut his hair to look like a coonskin cap, right down to dying his ponytail in raccoon stripes. I can't recall where we were shopping, but he looked liked he'd jumped right off the pages of www.peopleofwalmart.com .

Not much in the way of hairstyle after the mullet hunter is finished. No hair at all in fact. Peopleofwalmart.com, this is the most productive this thread has been, ever.

Over the Holidays, I saw a guy who had cut his hair to look like a coonskin cap, right down to dying his ponytail in raccoon stripes. I can't recall where we were shopping, but he looked liked he'd jumped right off the pages of www.peopleofwalmart.com .

Man...and you didn't snap a shot of him with your phone?

I have a vague idea. Once in a while I will walk by the hair salon at WalMart, and "bang" the mullet hunter will shoot me down. Upon returning home mulletless, Mrs. Del Norte is quite unhappy with my new look, or lack thereof.

Wait, wait, wait, now I'm confused.

Are you saying that Mrs. Del Norte actually prefers the mullet?? :confused: :scared:

Wait, wait, wait, now I'm confused.

Are you saying that Mrs. Del Norte actually prefers the mullet?? :confused: :scared:

Yeah. I caught that as well, but I was too frightened to ask for clarification. I'm hearing "Achey, Breaky Heart" just thinking about mullets.

Last edited: