1 yr mph before residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Om13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I need some input/advise regarding 1 year mph program. I graduated from med school earlier this year and am in the process of applying for residency (peds:)). My main focus of interest is International/global health. I am contemplating doing the 1 year mph program (preferably focusing on international health) and applying to residency next year. Kinda confused as to what to do. Is it worth taking a year to get an mph? What would I be able to do with an MPH (that is, in addition to MD) that I wouldn't be able to do with just an MD? (ie- what additional benefits in getting an mph) Any input regarding this (and any other information regarding the 1 year mph program) would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think the MPH will increase your chances of performing well in the match, or are you looking for a break? If not, there are some residencies and fellowships that will pay for getting the MPH, which is pretty financially advantageous. As for the benefits in global health, you don't necessarily need the MPH to work in that field although it provides a good framework for understanding what's going on there. Hope that helps.