This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted920504

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Unfortunately a good heart won't make up for a low GPA so it's arguably more important to have a good GPA.

In all seriousness though, I think those people you are referring to won't ever really be happy with that sort of lifestyle. There's nothing wrong with striving to do well, but the always wanting more regardless of what they need to do to get it seems like a sad way to be.

Totally agree with you dude... However, medical schools want to know you can succeed through a rigorous academic program. Undergrad is relatively elementary compared to a medical school curriculum. I just finished a masters program that was modeled after the first year of the med school it's associated with. We basically did a whole semester of an undergrad course in the first 3 weeks for just one of the classes. So having a high GPA just tells them you probably can handle the academics... SDN has a lot of smart, neurotic and sometimes toxic people with very little life experiences, take stuff on these forums with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I've realized something at the end of my second year of undergrad...

I know having a good enough gpa of 3.7 is important. But I've also realized that those kids who step on others to get a 98 percent instead of 94, who only care about grades and not people, and who basically think of themselves as above society are not going to make the best doctors. I haven't been blessed with the smartest brain at my school (even though I am pretty intelligent) but I think it's comforting to know that you don't have to be the valedictorian to get into medical school. You need good academics, sure, but more importantly, you need a good heart. As someone who struggled with mental health issues in college that set me back in my GPA and was told I didn't have what it takes, I think it's good to realize that. My personal struggles have given me compassion for others in a way I couldn't have gained if I hadn't gone through it. The way my doctor helped me in a time of need inspired me to be that angel and comforter for others. I'm interested in psychiatry or family medicine.

Everyone posts on here stressing out about "what are my chances????!?!?!??!" "omg I got a B in O chem can I still be an orthopod????" so I just wanted to say something positive. :)
Stats get you to the door; ECs get you though the door. But stats alone are not enough; I do agree with your sentiments.

I’m afraid there are a lot of tremendously kind, empathetic people who are wicked smart.

The real lesson you need to learn is not to have your grades bring you down and always be striving to improve on what you’ve done before. In the professional world, book smarts will only get you so far. In medicine they will get you pretty damn far but won’t win the affection and respect of your peers and patients on its own.

Reactions: 1 users
those kids who step on others to get a 98 percent instead of 94, who only care about grades and not people, and who basically think of themselves as above society are not going to make the best doctors.

Indeed. I think this is a small minority of physicians, but they are out there and you will definitely know them when you see them. But, you still need to show academic ability to get into school as well. Because one category (empathy, being a decent human being) is subjective and the other (grades) is objective (at least in theory) its much easier to fake the former than the latter. A fair number of people have both. I can definitely relate to what you wrote though, as someone who didn't have a great GPA, but still managed to have a great cycle in 2017 and can't wait to go to medical school.