10 years USAF Line Active Duty taking night pre-reqs (introduction & questions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TPS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ALL...

I've been surfing this forum for quite some time... Please let me first introduce myself... I've been in the AF for 10 years...deployed several times. I have a Bachelors in Math and 2 Masters in Stats and Engineering. However, I do not have any bio and chem classes.
As i was growing up, I thought of doing either tech stuff or med school (really more so in Med)... but somehow my path led me down the tech world...and that's all i have ever known. Recently, at age of 33...I thought maybe i need to pursue my dream while my brain is still holding up.

So, i took the first step of applying at a local college for bio and chem classes at night and Saturdays... Classes will start in 2 weeks...and i know it will be tough since I'm already working close to 12 hrs a day. But i have no time to lose...for i'm getting old and i want to get into USUHS someday.

I have a huge question about the LOA from USAF... any one has experience with this? I'm in a career field that has not been very willing to release people. I have an ADSC that will end in July 2015...and i plan on (hopefully) applying in 2014 for a Fall 2015 matriculation. Any one has any experience with getting LOA approval or denial? By then, I will have 13 years in..., so the only option i'm willing to do is USUHS. At this point with a family and planning for a kid soon...separating first would be too risky an option. What i afraid the most right now would be going through 2+ years of night school and prep for MCAT...just to deny a chance to even apply.

second question: I probably won't be able to get a Pre-Med Committee Letter... So, as i understood from usuhs' website that i would need 3-4 LORs (2 from science, 1 from non science, and 1 from clinical sup). Do i just get them from ANY time frame...past college professors? How about the clinical supervisor one? Do i need to somehow work under one to obtain one? Or just from one with that "position". I guess this leads me to my 3rd question: Clinical Exp...would this be the one I should obtain my clinical supervisor LOR?

Last question: Am I crazy? to start a completely new vector in career at this point? Am i even someone USUHS is looking for?

any insights or advice on any other "safe" options would be greatly appreciated...

thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi ALL...

I've been surfing this forum for quite some time... Please let me first introduce myself... I've been in the AF for 10 years...deployed several times. I have a Bachelors in Math and 2 Masters in Stats and Engineering. However, I do not have any bio and chem classes.
As i was growing up, I thought of doing either tech stuff or med school (really more so in Med)... but somehow my path led me down the tech world...and that's all i have ever known. Recently, at age of 33...I thought maybe i need to pursue my dream while my brain is still holding up.

So, i took the first step of applying at a local college for bio and chem classes at night and Saturdays... Classes will start in 2 weeks...and i know it will be tough since I'm already working close to 12 hrs a day. But i have no time to lose...for i'm getting old and i want to get into USUHS someday.

I have a huge question about the LOA from USAF... any one has experience with this? I'm in a career field that has not been very willing to release people. I have an ADSC that will end in July 2015...and i plan on (hopefully) applying in 2014 for a Fall 2015 matriculation. Any one has any experience with getting LOA approval or denial? By then, I will have 13 years in..., so the only option i'm willing to do is USUHS. At this point with a family and planning for a kid soon...separating first would be too risky an option. What i afraid the most right now would be going through 2+ years of night school and prep for MCAT...just to deny a chance to even apply.

second question: I probably won't be able to get a Pre-Med Committee Letter... So, as i understood from usuhs' website that i would need 3-4 LORs (2 from science, 1 from non science, and 1 from clinical sup). Do i just get them from ANY time frame...past college professors? How about the clinical supervisor one? Do i need to somehow work under one to obtain one? Or just from one with that "position". I guess this leads me to my 3rd question: Clinical Exp...would this be the one I should obtain my clinical supervisor LOR?

Last question: Am I crazy? to start a completely new vector in career at this point? Am i even someone USUHS is looking for?

any insights or advice on any other "safe" options would be greatly appreciated...

thanks very much!

I am ex-USAF (10+ YRS), current USN. Applied in 2004 to start med-school in 2005 via HPSP.. PM me if you want my $0.02. Things might have changed since 2004, though.

I'm much considering the same. I'm a 9-year rated AF officer thinking of punching to do a post-bac then apply to USUHS. 11 years to retirement and my current salary are hard to walk away from. Am I nuts for even considering this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm much considering the same. I'm a 9-year rated AF officer thinking of punching to do a post-bac then apply to USUHS. 11 years to retirement and my current salary are hard to walk away from. Am I nuts for even considering this?

If you are decided on medicine and all that it requires--which is a lot--and your family is signed on for what is required (if that is a consideration) then your situation is one where the USUHS pathway makes a lot of sense. By the time you will have done your payback, you could opt to retire.

If you are decided on medicine and all that it requires--which is a lot--and your family is signed on for what is required (if that is a consideration) then your situation is one where the USUHS pathway makes a lot of sense. By the time you will have done your payback, you could opt to retire.

It turns out that convincing the wife is probably far more difficult that making my pitch to any admissions committee.