This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does the opening of Touro make you worry about the future of dentistry?

• It most definitely does. How could it not?

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • Maybe a little bit

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • No, because we need more dentists

Votes: 20 10.9%
  • Definitely not, everybody and their mother deserves a chance to be accepted to dental school

Votes: 44 23.9%

• Total voters
[.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I haven't heard anything about Texas Tech trying to open a dental school. The current focus is on breaking up A&M's bizarre vet school monopoly in Texas.

I was also curious about this. A quick google search showed this:
http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/downlo...9FF2476AA9&typename=dmFile&fieldname=filename

They only did preliminary research to see if it was needed to open another Texas dental school. They concluded that "Texas does not need another dental school at this time." So yeah, Texas Tech dental school isn't going to happen any time in the future. Thankfully...

Reactions: 1 users
Touro just cares about what can make them money. They're not looking to fill some void of providers. Interesting how a lot of the expansionist powers in the DO world are rapidly proliferating dental schools.
1. Can you back up that statement? If so, how is that any different from any private dental school? The next question is, if it's saturation you're so worried about, how are Touro's "motives" any different from what YOU are so worried about?
2. NYMC is an M.D. school.

Members don't see this ad :)
there is absolutely no need for another dental school

Last edited:
I'm shaking in my booties over here.

Yes, especially since my home state and where I plan to practice isn't all that far from Westchester. Starting in 2020 110ish new grads per year will be looking for work to tackle their astronomical debt, and I don't think my turf is safe from them. Who knows, maybe they'll make for a good referral base, if I look at it glass half full.

Hey don't worry about saturation, step up to the plate and worry about yourself. If you are good at what you do, then there is nothing to worry about. Somebody else debt is not your problem. .. If there are individuals becoming dentists for monetary reasons, they will most likely get sued quick . . .

Saturation, not a problem. Money is always there to be made.

Hey don't worry about saturation, step up to the plate and worry about yourself. If you are good at what you do, then there is nothing to worry about. Somebody else debt is not your problem. .. If there are individuals becoming dentists for monetary reasons, they will most likely get sued quick . . .

Saturation, not a problem. Money is always there to be made.
I agree that if you know what you're doing and can run a practice you'll be fine, but saturation is an issue especially in an area like Westchester.

DSC00206.jpg
5c8c6223eeb6474587f556342ce0ac91.jpg

Skyline_exterior_pano.JPG

Campus looks good

A poster shared this on Touro's school specific discussion thread. It looks pretty nice to me....not at all like the other images people posted of Touro.

I'm thinking I'll look into applying here.

Last edited:
I remember on the forums there was this one person who talked about touro like a year ago, his name was tooth shark or something. People are still talking about this wow.

Members don't see this ad :)
A poster shared this on Touro's school specific discussion thread. It looks pretty nice to me....not at all like the other images people posted of Touro.

The DO school is located in NYC and that's what you've seen. This is located in Westchester, NY.

don't even bother. their interview if full til april!.

Is this school even credible, and how would they take applicants in terms of GPA and DAT scores.

They are taking high quality applicants for interviews currently! Havent seen many people with less than a 3.4 getting an interview here

don't even bother. their interview if full til april!.

Its not a back up school by any means. I think its a good option if you applied late or dont have any interviews thus far but have strong DATs and a strong GPA. It looks like the DAT score can be a bit lower but they're not biting if your GPA is below 3.4

Its not a back up school by any means. I think its a good option if you applied late or dont have any interviews thus far but have strong DATs and a strong GPA. It looks like the DAT score can be a bit lower but they're not biting if your GPA is below 3.4
Did he/she ever say it was a backup school? lol

Saturation, not a problem.
Money is always there to be made.

what...

Saturation isn't a problem when you can't actually get into dental school - that's why toothknockn is so vehemently defending the opening of the school. He doesn't actually care about the field of dentistry or any real negative impacts the opening (or attendance) of Touro might have. What he's latching on to here is the opportunity for a new school with lower admissions standards to provide an opening for him to finally get in. Most of his posts defending the school are completely incoherent ramblings that go against common sense. It's not meant to be logical because he's not thinking logically but instead emotionally. Touro is his "last hope" to finally go to dental school.

The students vehemently defending Touro just happens to overlap significantly with the students that have no/limited options when it comes to dental school admissions. I wonder why that is?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Saturation isn't a problem when you can't actually get into dental school - that's why toothknockn is so vehemently defending the opening of the school. He doesn't actually care about the field of dentistry or any real negative impacts the opening (or attendance) of Touro might have. What he's latching on to here is the opportunity for a new school with lower admissions standards to provide an opening for him to finally get in. Most of his posts defending the school are completely incoherent ramblings that go against common sense. It's not meant to be logical because he's not thinking logically but instead emotionally. Touro is his "last hope" to finally go to dental school.

The students vehemently defending Touro just happens to overlap significantly with the students that have no/limited options when it comes to dental school admissions. I wonder why that is?

WOW
where do you get this conclusion from?

You don't even have an idea of who i am.

Ami 20, 30 40 something years old?

am I a dental assistant, office manager, married to a dentist?

ill tell you this, I have been in the dental field probably since you started going to school by yourself, and picking your nose in the back of class . . .

There is no saturation of dentistry.... All the dentists I know and have met are not complaining about saturation.... there complaining about other things far from saturation of dentistry.... and I'm talkn from NYC point of view of the field . . . .

I think you will look at your self in a foolish way 10 to 20 years from now when you are not able to treat all the patients coming to you for work. . . and they will not like you. . . .

Go read more about statistics of healthcare stuff, cause i am not going to write my fingers off for you.

@plasma membrane

why do you even quote me? you never have anything to support your ideas/ statements

all you got are some good grades.

WOW
where do you get this conclusion from?

You don't even have an idea of who i am.

Ami 20, 30 40 something years old?

am I a dental assistant, office manager, married to a dentist?

ill tell you this, I have been in the dental field probably since you started going to school by yourself, and picking your nose in the back of class . . .

There is no saturation of dentistry.... All the dentists I know and have met are not complaining about saturation.... there complaining about other things far from saturation of dentistry.... and I'm talkn from NYC point of view of the field . . . .

I think you will look at your self in a foolish way 10 to 20 years from now when you are not able to treat all the patients coming to you for work. . . and they will not like you. . . .

Go read more about statistics of healthcare stuff, cause i am not going to write my fingers off for you.

@plasma membrane

why do you even quote me? you never have anything to support your ideas/ statements

all you got are some good grades.

You put plenty of information about yourself out there on these forums. Here, answer these few questions (I already know the answers to these, but you providing them in one place will illustrate for everyone exactly why you want Touro to open so badly):

1. How many times have you applied to dental school and succeeded?

2. How many times have you taken the DAT? What is your highest score?

3. What is your GPA?

4. As an applicant, how many acceptances did you receive this cycle?

Now at this point you're going to do one of two things: answer and reveal how weak of an applicant you are, or you dodge the questions because you know the answers will undermine your objections to my post and confirm what I said. Either way, my point gets made.

You put plenty of information about yourself out there on these forums. Here, answer these few questions (I already know the answers to these, but you providing them in one place will illustrate for everyone exactly why you want Touro to open so badly):

3. What is your GPA?

Now at this point you're going to do one of two things: answer and reveal how weak of an applicant you are, or you dodge the questions because you know the answers will undermine your objections to my post and confirm what I said. Either way, my point gets made.

get a life.

for those curious about my stats.... look into my history here.... i don't edit my posts made here

what kinda of hate do you live with?

geez.

???are you a SDN fact checker???

lol

am I suppose to be afraid?

I have nothing to hide.

go find something else...

I bet you save all types of posts from other members

I think you will have no time for your patients..... You will too busy here.
:banana:

It's just another $100k/year school I won't be applying to...

Reactions: 4 users

3. What is your GPA?

And you've applied every cycle since 2012. I'll let your quality as an applicant speak for itself.

...and then you continue responding. Looks like you don't learn well.

Dude chill the **** out. Why the hell are you so concerned about his stats? Stop, just stop trying to publicly humiliate tooth knockn. Having a better GPA/DAT score does not give you the right to look down upon those pursuing their dreams to be a dentist, and having better grades doesn't necessarily make one a more successful dentist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
get a life.

for those curious about my stats.... look into my history here.... i don't edit my posts made here

I'm pretty sure you are no were near as competitive as Ferlis..he got an invite from Touro...

You are attending which dental school again?

Guys leave tooth knockn alone. He never goes out of his way to put you all down, so why are you all trying to put him down? Are you that worried about potential competition that you will resort to anonymous online personal attacks against potential colleagues?

You are attending which dental school again?

Tough talk coming from someone who herself has yet to apply.

You're not an admissions officer. Stay in your own lane.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Folks, let's keep it professional, here. There is absolutely no need for this constant bickering. No one is going to win the internets, so put the schwartzes away.

Reactions: 12 users
No one should be degrading and berating anyone. This is a place for opinions not trash talking and hatefulness. If you can't allow others to have an opinion without pitching a fit then online forums are simply not for you. We are all in the same boat with the same goals to get into dental school.

Is the opening making me nervous? No. I mean I'm sure many schools went through this when they initially opened up as well. A school has to eventually open right? And maybe down the road, schools that aren't performing as well will be closed down. People are really WAY too concerned about this.
I agree. I wouldn't worry too much. Now if the barriers to entry drop and anyone can get in and become a dentist (ie 2.0gpa, no interview) then I'll get worried.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree. I wouldn't worry too much. Now if the barriers to entry drop and anyone can get in and become a dentist (ie 2.0gpa, no interview) then I'll get worried.
Have you looked at their pre-reqs?

Yes and I don't see anything I haven't seen before. Nothing alarming.
All of the schools I applied to required both Ochem II with lab and Biochemistry.

All of the schools I applied to required both Ochem II with lab and Biochemistry.
I wonder why they are the only school (that I've seen) with the ability to bypass orgo II w/ lab

I wonder why they are the only school (that I've seen) with the ability to bypass orgo II w/ lab

Tufts Dental, a nationally respected school known for producing superior general dentists, does not require OChem II either.

See below:

Application Requirements
Academic Requirements:
  • 2 semesters (8 credits or 3 quarters) Biology
  • 1 semester ( 3 credits or 1 quarter) Upper level Biology
  • 2 semesters (8 credits or 3 quarters) Inorganic Chemistry
  • 2 semesters (8 credits or 3 quarters) Physics
  • 1 semester (4 credits or 2 quarters) Organic Chemistry
  • 1 semester (3 credits or 1 quarter) Biochemistry
  • 1 semester writing-intensive Humanities or Social Science course (may include History, English, Comparative Literature, Philosophy, Government or Women’s Studies)

Source: http://dental.tufts.edu/admissions/dmd-program/

Tufts Dental, a nationally respected school known for producing superior general dentists, does not require OChem II either.

See below:

Application Requirements
Academic Requirements:
  • 1 semester writing-intensive Humanities or Social Science course (may include History, English, Comparative Literature, Philosophy, Government or Women’s Studies)

Good find

See below:

Application Requirements
Academic Requirements:

Hm. Didn't know that. Tufts still requires biochemistry though.