12 Week MCAT 2015 Study Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smtrinidad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a 12 week study plan for the 2015 MCAT using EK for content and NS strategy and practice books for practice passages along with a variety of sources for full length exam practice. Some of this has been adapted from one of my previous threads
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/6-steps-to-mcat-study-success.1120262/#post-16170586

Science Content
The plan focuses on front-loading the content and uses EK 2015 for content as it is one of the most concise yet thorough sources for the MCAT. The EK books also incorporate practice passages and questions well with their "mini-mcats" that correspond to each chapter. For the content is it important to really stick to one source and absolutely master that set of content. The study plan uses the three pass approach:
1. First pass:

The first time you work through the material should take longer and it can also be broken down into several passes which we will call 1a, 1b and 1c.

a.
Flip through the pages looking just at the bolded terms and pictures. Spend extra time on any you aren’t familiar with, recite the definitions out loud, take brief notes, reproduce figures etc…. but save any questions you may come across and don’t spend the time yet analyzing large blocks of text… The goal of this pass is really just to learn the language and get an overview of the chapter. This should take 20-30 minutes per chapter depending on the length of the chapter.

b.
Next read through the chapter carefully and thoroughly. Spend time on each concept, especially the sections that are new or aren’t as familiar. Take notes if needed (try to be concise though), reproduce figures, work through questions (but don’t circle the answers) etc… Now that you know the vocab you can really master the material which is the goal of this pass through. This should take roughly 1-1.5 hours depending on the chapter.

c.
Lastly, after you have gone through and really understood the material, you want to do one last pass through. The overall goal of this is to get a broader overview or context for the material. Identify connections between sections, emphasize important concepts, begin to anticipate how the material could be tested and even identify tie-ins to other chapters. This last approach is again a little quicker like the first and should take roughly 30 minutes per chapter.

2. Second Pass

Wait a day…

Go through the entire chapter a second time. Make sure you still understand all of the content, can reproduce all of the figures (this is especially important so don’t give yourself slack here), reproduce all of the important equations, concepts etc…. The goal here is to reinforce the material and make sure you retain it, so if there is anything that is unclear or that you have forgotten really spend the time reinforcing it and learning it. Re-do all of the questions. This should take roughly an hour per chapter (can be more or less depending on how well you know the material)

3. Third pass

Wait a Week….

Read through the chapter a third and final time. The goal again is to really reinforce the content so go over all of the content, emphasize key relationships, be able to reproduce all of the figures, and re-do any questions that you got wrong or that were difficult.

CARS
For the CARS section the plan utilizes the Next Step CARS book which is fantastic for strategy and recognizes that different approaches work well for different individuals. So instead of a one-size fits all approach that many other companies use, the book walks you through several different approaches to find one that works well for you.
The plan also focuses on working through the CARS book and practice within the first week or two followed by consistent daily practice.

Practice Passages and Full Lengths
Integrating practice early on is absolutely essential for an effective plan and the 12 week plan incorporates tons of practice early on and builds on it with significant full length exams.

Practice Passages:
The EK books provide sets of practice passages that correspond to each chapter which is great. Additionally, the NS strategy and practice books are great and are incorporated throughout the first 5 weeks. These sets of practice sections are great to work through early on as they provide more than just practice. Each of the books looks at strategy for each section and provides in-depth explanations for passages so they are a great foundation to begin with and build on.

Full Length Exams
The plan incorporates 12 full length exams from a variety of sources. It is critical to learn as much as you can from each exam. In my experience the students that have seen the largest improvement have consistently been those who have been able to learn from their mistakes. Many I have worked with will take exam after exam without spending the necessary time really learning from their results. To really learn from the practice exam plan on devoting at least a full day to each full length you take for that purpose. There are two different sets of lessons you want to look for and the general model for fixing them remains the same.

1. First, identify the problem. This doesn’t mean identify questions you got wrong, but instead you need to take it a level higher. Identify patterns, types of problems you struggle with, types of passages you struggle with etc… (you will never see the exact same question again, but you will see the same types of questions, passages etc…)

2. Second, come up with a solution to deal with the problem. For ex, if you struggle getting through Bio experimental passages, try switching your approach and taking brief notes for those passages. If you struggle with stoichiometry calculations, come up with a method/approach to deal with it.

3. Lastly, (and possibly most importantly) apply that solution and practice it extensively BEFORE your next full length. If you found Bio exp passages difficult and decided to try brief note-taking as a solution, then make sure you tackle several Bio experimental passages before your next full length exam (even if they are passages you have seen before, reinforcing the new approach/lesson learned is absolutely essential).

Then really focus on consistently applying the lessons learned on your next full lengths. And as a side-note, make sure to review all questions on your full lengths including the ones you got right. Lessons learned can come from both positive accomplishments and mistakes that need improvement. If you have found something that works well for you, reinforce it and continue to apply it.

The calendar provides built in-time for full lengths, review, and then application/reinforcement of the solutions and adjustments.

The plan does cost about $900 for all of the materials (most of which is spent on full length exams) but some can be saved by purchasing the content and strategy books used (once they become available used). Having said that, it is an incredibly solid plan with a ton of content review, strategy and practice with very effective approaches for content mastery (3 pass approach) and passage/full length practice (3 Step process).

Let me know your thoughts and questions and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 12 Week Study Calendar Using EK and NS Strategy.xlsx
    14.5 KB · Views: 3,220
Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Hi, I was looking at your schedule. For each 'pass' are you reviewing each subject on one day?

This reminds me of my USMLE plan, except I was not as organized. Vouch that multiple passes + huge amount of practice questions + good test taking habits = good score. That last part is something that most people miss out on.

You're going to run into a small problem with the full-length exams. AAMC currently offers one for the new MCAT and will add a second in the Fall. And without question, it's the AAMC FLs that have the greatest yield.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I was looking at your schedule. For each 'pass' are you reviewing each subject on one day?

The first two days of each week are devoted to the "first pass" through 5 chapters (1 from each book initially and some doubling up towards the end). This translates to 2-3 chapters per day which should provide the necessary time to really master those chapters.
The second and third passes through the content should be much quicker and you should be able to complete a second or third pass through all 5 chapters from the week in a day (about 1 hour per chapter or so) and still have time for CARS review.

You're going to run into a small problem with the full-length exams. AAMC currently offers one for the new MCAT and will add a second in the Fall. And without question, it's the AAMC FLs that have the greatest yield.

You are right in that the AAMC exams are definitely the best and unfortunately current students only have 1 to go with. However, there are still good exams that do model the AAMC exams fairly well. They definitely aren't perfect, and ideally you would want more AAMC exams, but for those students preparing for the MCAT this spring/summer the exams from PR, NS and Gold Standard should still work very well for more practice.

For the diagnostic and review, what do you recommend using as the diagnostic test on day 1? Just the next step test?

This is great! I like that there isn't a single schedule around that everyone follows for this new mcat. Everyone is forced to make a customized schedule based on their own individual needs. I'll definitely incorporate multiple passes into my plan but structure it so that I won't be doing multiple subjects during the second pass when I do passage questions. How do you like NS material?

This is great! I like that there isn't a single schedule around that everyone follows for this new mcat. Everyone is forced to make a customized schedule based on their own individual needs. I'll definitely incorporate multiple passes into my plan but structure it so that I won't be doing multiple subjects during the second pass when I do passage questions. How do you like NS material?

I like the NS material quite a bit, especially their practice/strategy books. Overall, other sets do just as good a job (maybe even better) of presenting the content. The EK & Kaplan incorporate more visuals (diagrams, pictures, etc...) so I may give them the edge there but there is no question that the NS has the best strategy/practice books on the market so I definitely recommend. Summary: N.S. Content books = okay, N.S. strategy/practice books = fantastic!

Sorry, after reading this thread, I am still a little confused. When, for example, you say first pass “chapter one”, is that the first chapter of each EK subject book?

the examkracker comes with a total of 6 books, for your schedule are you not using the reasoning skills book and just substituting with the next step CARS book?

Reactions: 1 user
the examkracker comes with a total of 6 books, for your schedule are you not using the reasoning skills book and just substituting with the next step CARS book?

Yes, although you could use the EK Reasoning book instead of the Next Step. Both do a great job and have different strengths. I like the Next Step strategy sections for the CARS better but the EK has some great reasoning skills for math, graphs, etc... that are really good. In general either source would work well.

Thanks for the schedule!
I'm going to get the EK books, but I also already have first edition books from TPR that I got from a friend. Would you suggest using any of those books instead?
Also, the complete official MCAT prep bundle from AAMC comes with tons of practice questions. Where in the schedule should I incorporate those? I was thinking maybe doing those instead of a few FL exams to cut down on the total cost.
The last thing is Khan Academy videos. Is there a particular spot in the schedule where you would suggest incorporating these? In the past I have found Khan Academy very helpful in the past so I would like to watch them as well.

Thanks for the schedule!
I'm going to get the EK books, but I also already have first edition books from TPR that I got from a friend. Would you suggest using any of those books instead?
Also, the complete official MCAT prep bundle from AAMC comes with tons of practice questions. Where in the schedule should I incorporate those? I was thinking maybe doing those instead of a few FL exams to cut down on the total cost.
The last thing is Khan Academy videos. Is there a particular spot in the schedule where you would suggest incorporating these? In the past I have found Khan Academy very helpful in the past so I would like to watch them as well.

Great questions. I would generally recommend sticking to one set of books only. For the MCAT you really do need to know the fundmentals very well but any of the good review books on the market will work for that (ie EK, PR, Kaplan, NS etc...) and I have seen students try to incorporate too many resources. So my advice is to stick to one review source for the content.

Yes, the AAMC has put out several sets of practice questions over the last year that absolutely need to be incorporated into the study schedule. If you need to cut out something to make time for them I would cut out some of the next step practice section tests instead of the full lengths. The full lengths really do give you a good picture of what the exam is like and are an essential part of the study process. Since posting the excel document last year some of the availability has changed. In general you should definitely incorporate both of the AAMC full lengths and then if you aren't taking a course that has access to full lengths (like Kaplan or PR) I recommend a mixture of the Exam Krackers and Next Step Full lengths that are available online, they are both great sets and do a pretty good job of matching the actual AAMC exams.

As far as the Kahn Academy videos go, this really depends on the individual. I don't generally recommend going through all of the videos as it just takes a lot of time but if you really learn well from them then I would definitely incorporate them. A helpful tip might be to incorporate them as you go along for subjects that you struggle with during your first pass.

I hope this helps and best of luck!

This schedule looks really helpful!!!
Just a quick question, I plan on taking the exam in September and applying for the next cycle with that score. I've actually got most of the content review out of way (over the past few months here and there) and am more concerned with a schedule for practice. Do you recommend I use this schedule to a T including the content review or should I just start practicing with Fls? Thanks in an advance!!

Hey there! I'm looking at the Excel sheet version of your guide, and I noticed for much of the first few weeks you simply included "Daily CARS Review" as a task. What exactly would your reviews entail? What would you do for these reviews? Thanks!