-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedtoothdoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
H/P = A/B ; the grading isn't going to help you. You're going to have to work your tail off either way, and even then it might not be enough.

Living in the city? I don't know about resume building, but it'll be great for building up more debt. What's the COA difference you've calculated? And resume building? You're going to be studying and busting your butt stressing to get A's/H's, EC's aren't something you'll likely be concerned about once the ball gets rolling.

Spaced Repetition Flashcards. Anki.

Reactions: 1 user
8/8 people got into Peds and I think 3 into ortho this graduating year. If you really want to do Peds stony brook has you covered. Ortho is tough just about anywhere and I can't really comment on ortho, since I have no interest in ortho.

Okay as someone who actually attends Stony Brook, heres my take. It'll definitely be cheaper here, and I'll try and answer your questions regarding stony brook only. I did live in the city but I don't attend Columbia so I have no input on that school.

1. A's are a little challenging to get but completely doable with a normal life. You just have to put in the effort to get those. Some classes are easy As, some classes you will barely scrape by with one. So its a healthy mix like in undergrad.

2. Theres plenty of research to do at Stony, however you have to find the professors and reach out to them. You wont be handed anything, and since you are so proactive in ECs that shouldnt be a problem for you.

3. To do well, you have to not compare yourself to others and when things start getting bad you just have to pull through. I remember getting 0s on quizzes and I just laugh it off. Why? Because 1 grade isnt going to define me. Will there be people in the class that just look untouchably smart? Sure, but that's what happens when you put 44 people with high Dats and GPAs together. The ones that start to struggle are the ones that allow 1 grade to nosedive everything else. If you've met adversity in the past, dental school is going to be just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
8/8 people got into Peds and I think 3 into ortho this graduating year.
Please stop spreading misinformation. Everyone knows you can’t specialize unless you go to Harvard, Columbia, or UPenn.

Seriously though, here’s my obligatory “Go to the cheapest school you get into.” Loans suck. Fact. Any school will provide you with the opportunities you need to get you where you want to go, but it’s up to you to do the work. Fact.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
CDM stopped doing H/P/F for the class of ‘21 - it’s just P/F now.

Their match numbers are attached for your reference. The numbers I wrote in are for the class of 2018. Each class has 80 students.

Both schools take didactic classes with the medical school, which is an advantage for the CBSE that OMFS programs use as a comparison metric.

Best of luck with your choice!

AFD4FD55-5407-455F-B68C-DFA18D086380.jpeg

Thank you!! Just a side note, do you feel that students are generally willing to help eachother for exam prep or have you dealt with competitive students? Also do you know approximately how grade are distributed?

Everyone helps whether they are competitive or not. We are not ranked so there’s no reason for competition between people. That however doesn’t stop people from trying to do their best. We share resources that we make.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! Just another question, what is the structure of your exams and how do exams work for classes that you take with med students? And do you know approximately what the grade distribution for exams is/how difficult it is to get As? I got the feel at a few schools I interviewed at that it was close to impossible to get As

An A is an 85 and I think about 25-30% of the class gets As in those. Getting As isn’t difficult but requires you put in the effort. It’s not impossible but not a cakewalk either.