This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fried_chicken

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your mistake was not applying DO, and have a research heavy/volunteering cookie cutter to light EC record, combined with too few credits in postbac.

Take a gap year to get in a full year of postbac, or an SMP.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for the slow cycle - like Goro said, huge mistake to not include DO schools.. may I ask why? Hate to bear the bad news, but your uGPA seriously is an issue for MD schools, but up and coming for DO, especially with the MCAT retake. I don't know what your cGPA trend looks like, but based off your sGPA trend, the problem is here is you haven't established yourself as someone able to handle the rigor of medical school. With a sGPA <3.0 for 3 years in a row and a lackluster 3.4 for your final year, there isn't any proof aside from the 15 credits spread over 3 separate quarters that you can actually perform up to par.

I think you're an ideal candidate for an SMP. Not sure how many credits you could squeeze into your FT job schedule, but I hesitate at even a year's worth of DIY credits (at a pace of 3-4 credits or 1-2 classes/quarter) to be enough to show off the kind of academic endurance you need to prove. Would seriously recommend SMP if you're going for MD, otherwise, another year of DIY postbacc credits should be great for DO schools.

Best of luck.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I wanted to take a stab at MD schools, but I now realize how foolish and unrealistic my expectations were.

Thank you guys for the advice. I am going to try to enroll full-time this semester for now and look into possible postbacc and SMP programs for the upcoming school year. Any thoughts on how to proceed with volunteering/diversifying my ECs? Hopefully will have around 400 hours at the ER and another 100 nonclinical hours by the 2021 cycle.

Hey, all part of the process. Hard to even fathom the low chances anyone has to get into med school (only 40% get in by the way). I think it's great to look forward and tackle the additional steps you have to take head-on; if you really commit and do an SMP/more postbacc as you say, you could have a solid chance at a fine MD and this will be all but a dream in the near future.

As far as ECs, continue on with the diversified non-clinical, those are great. Would continue also tacking on clinical in any way shape or form and if it remains with the ER, think about shadowing MDs/DOs in different settings (primary care, clinical specialty, etc.). Perhaps think about scribing PT while you're enrolled FT in your postbacc classes - this is an excellent/easy way to get more clinical hours as well. Think about your story so far and how these extra steps show your resilience as a person and start to put together your narrative as an applicant. Schools will drool over your ability to adapt/advance yourself if you do all these things.

Last edited:
Taking additional courses this spring to boost your GPA is a good idea. If you increase your sGPA to 3.1 you would be competitive for many DO schools with your MCAT of 516. I suggest all these DO schools:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
UIWSOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
ACOM
WCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
ATSU-SOMA
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Also accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing including primary care.

You need more clinical volunteer experience, and volunteer experience generally. Agree with Goro for another gap year if you want a shot at MD schools. For DO, you might be ok this year.

Taking additional courses this spring to boost your GPA is a good idea. If you increase your sGPA to 3.1 you would be competitive for many DO schools with your MCAT of 516. I suggest all these DO schools:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
UIWSOM
ARCOM
NYIT-ARKANSAS
ACOM
WCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
ATSU-SOMA

I would throw CUSOM in the hat, too. I’m from there so I’ve been keeping a close eye on stats of those offered interviews and I have seen some VERY skewed ones similar to yours getting some. It’s still a new school, so that’s probably why. Couldn’t tell you if they were accepted, but an interview is an interview. I give it a year or two before that stops, so get it while it’s hot.