This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cognizqnt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
DELETED.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Obviously your application is very strong. Nobody can guess your chances at any specific school, but in the aggregate you stand a good chance at getting into one of your target schools. I also agree that you have some state schools on your app which seem to make no sense in the aggregate.

My one questions is that of the 1100 hours in college for your non-medical volunteering, how much of that was interacting with the people being affected by your work vs. how much was "administrative." Not that the administrative is irrelevant, but if you don't have a ton of people-facing experience that could be a slight negative. Obviously I'm being extremely nit-picky, but that's how it goes at highly competitive schools.

This is a valid concern. A big portion of those hours are indeed "administrative." Though, if it counts for anything, the student board I work with themselves come from vulnerable populations (very much an empowerment mission). I've applied to all of my VA state schools + state schools with >50% of their matriculants OOS.
I doubt that this would be a reason for you to be denied an interview, BUT between now and your interviews I would suggest trying to get some "on-the-ground" time in. I doubt that anyone is going to really try to boil down to exactly how many hours were administrative, but I would make sure that you can speak to the impact that your organization's projects are having on a personal level. If someone were to ask you about this in an interview setting I think there could be some uncomfortable follow-up questions if all you describe is fund-raisers and board meetings.

Reactions: 1 users