This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1146359

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my reasoning/opinion: complete P/F with no shelf exams with Yale will save your life or so I heard and with the cons of Yale seem to be much less academically disadvantageous compared to UChicago, I would say Yale all the way.

Also, no sarcasm involved, but it must be nice to not worry about debt either way as you have two fantastic choices to choose from! If you don't end up going to a Canadian medical school, you'll have a great time at Yale!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally think that UChicago is the move with financial aid. I went to Northwestern second look but met some UChicago students there. The metro system in Chicago is pretty robust to you won’t be to separated from the nicer parts of Chicago. I personally think Yale’s match list success is confounded by the fact that a sizeable proportion of their students take a research year to beef up their application. Curriculum wise, it’s between having more structure or having more freedom. This is a personal thing that you have to decide.

Also, the lay prestige comment is kinda moot in academic med, considering that no faculty group in their right mind would consider the schooling difference between a Uchciago and Yale candidate. If you want more layman prestige (which at this level of choice has no bearing on academic medicine outcomes) then I guess Yale is the move but you should ask yourself if that’s worth 160 K.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just to comment on your last sentence - I would definitely still try to negotiate for more financial aid from both schools. It's always worth a shot, even if they don't give you anything - and I wouldn't let the fact that you might chose a Canadian school later deter you from negotiating a better price - after all, it's still a legit possibility that you may attend.

I also agree with @Maximus0703 about the research year at Yale - 75% of students opt for a 5th year. If that is not really something you're interested and you want more of the 4-year culture, Chicago might win in this aspect. Also, it sounds like you might enjoy Chicago (as a city) better. Both are excellent schools so you really can't go wrong.

Wait why do they do a research year? doesn't the curriculum lend itself to more research time anyway?
You're correct that the thesis is already a requirement. The 5th year is fully funded by Yale (you get paid), and many students take it as an opportunity for a more relaxed year before jumping into residency, while at the same time improving their residency applications, especially for competitive specialties. I've talked with 2 students about it and heard that research is very much ingrained in the culture at Yale, so I assume either a) Yale tends to draw students very interested in research, and/or b) bandwagon effect/being immersed in that culture lends itself towards more people opting for a research year.

Definitely not a requirement and completely optional, but sounds like many students see it as a chance to do research with the incredible faculty at Yale, while getting paid and relaxing a bit before residency.

You're correct that the thesis is already a requirement. The 5th year is fully funded by Yale (you get paid), and many students take it as an opportunity for a more relaxed year before jumping into residency, while at the same time improving their residency applications, especially for competitive specialties. I've talked with 2 students about it and heard that research is very much ingrained in the culture at Yale, so I assume either a) Yale tends to draw students very interested in research, and/or b) bandwagon effect/being immersed in that culture lends itself towards more people opting for a research year.

Definitely not a requirement and completely optional, but sounds like many students see it as a chance to do research with the incredible faculty at Yale, while getting paid and relaxing a bit before residency.
Just to follow up, the reason why I’m mentioning the extended year for research is that you could do that at any institution. If you want the same “advantage” that you are seeing from Yale’s match list, there is nothing stopping you from taking a research year during your time at UChicago. I highly doubt that UChicago doesn’t already have a program or option for you to take a research year.

Just to comment on your last sentence - I would definitely still try to negotiate for more financial aid from both schools. It's always worth a shot, even if they don't give you anything - and I wouldn't let the fact that you might chose a Canadian school later deter you from negotiating a better price - after all, it's still a legit possibility that you may attend.

I also agree with @Maximus0703 about the research year at Yale - 75% of students opt for a 5th year. If that is not really something you're interested and you want more of the 4-year culture, Chicago might win in this aspect. Also, it sounds like you might enjoy Chicago (as a city) better. Both are excellent schools so you really can't go wrong.
Thanks for your advice! WRT the extra research year, I initially had a lot of apprehension about it actually, but I've since come around to it quite strongly by thinking that it might actually be kind of a nice break since I didn't take any gap years (straight through undergrad). However, I asked around and it seems like fully funded 5th years can be done quite easily at UChicago as well! In that aspect, i guess it's mostly a wash.