18 on Mcat!! Do I even have a chance!!?? Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NigerianDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been a critical care nurse for adult and pediatrics (neurological,medical,) at a level 1 trauma center. My Science Gpa is about 3.3-3.4. My overall Gpa is 3.57. I have bachelors in science in nursing. My extracurricular activities include: I have been a volunteer medical language editor for a credited journal of medicine in Europe, I have done undergraduate medicinal chemistry research and have received a publication and have done a poster presentation at the American Chemistry Society fair. I have been vice president of a club when I went to school, I have physician shadowing experience, I have been an asthma instructor for children for American Lung Association, I have volunteered heavily and have many hours. I have been a student mentor and/or instructor for students. I have been on a Nigerian medical mission trip etc…
The next issue is that I just received my mcat scores on 8/27/13 and I got an 18
Physical 7, Bio 7, Verbal 4

I applied to every D.O. school in the U.S. Do I even have a fighting chance?? thanx for your input in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I have been a critical care nurse for adult and pediatrics (neurological,medical,) at a level 1 trauma center. My Science Gpa is about 3.3-3.4. My overall Gpa is 3.57. I have bachelors in science in nursing. My extracurricular activities include: I have been a volunteer medical language editor for a credited journal of medicine in Europe, I have done undergraduate medicinal chemistry research and have received a publication and have done a poster presentation at the American Chemistry Society fair. I have been vice president of a club when I went to school, I have physician shadowing experience, I have been an asthma instructor for children for American Lung Association, I have volunteered heavily and have many hours. I have been a student mentor and/or instructor for students. I have been on a Nigerian medical mission trip etc…
The next issue is that I just received my mcat scores on 8/27/13 and I got an 18

I applied to St. George University School of Medicine. Do you guys think I have a fighting chance?

Hello,

I applied to St. George University School of Medicine. Do you guys think I have a fighting chance?

Check out the Caribbean subforum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

You should try finding another time frame to study for the MCAT, retake it, score well, and apply for US schools. Your app (not counting the bad MCAT score) is competitive enough to apply for US DO schools and possibly MD schools too.

Nope. Retake. Sorry for the bad news.

You may find more advice on What Are My Chances

Excellent ECs!!

While I cannot really say whether or not you have a chance, I think retaking to obtain a much stronger score should definitely be on the front of your mind. Investigate where you went wrong and take practice tests. Best of luck to you :thumbup:

Also, don't post this here, post it on WAMC

Excellent ECs!!

While I cannot really say whether or not you have a chance, I think retaking to obtain a much stronger score should definitely be on the front of your mind. Investigate where you went wrong and take practice tests. Best of luck to you :thumbup:

Yes, you have to retake it I agree. A 25+ balanced would give the OP a great chance. If she can somehow score a balanced 27+, the better.

The OP's ECs are fantastic, I agree.

Not even the caribbean would take a chance on someone with an 18.

Take it again. Your sGPA and cGPA are good enough and your ECs are GREAT. Score higher next time and you will have a competitive app.

I think SGU/Ross will not take you. AUC would be lucky. Saba is attainable.

Agree with above posts. Need to retake. Medical school and licensing is all about standardized tests. They won't take a chance on someone who "can't pass" the testing because you have to pass step I,II, and III to get licensed. Then the board exam to be board certified.

Take the Kaplan course and figure out what you are doing wrong. Get a study partner. Do what you have to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't go to the Caribbean. How long did you study? Did nerves get the best of you? Did you take any practice tests, and if so, what did you score?

Like others have said, you have a great app, and it would be a shame to limit yourself due to your MCAT score. Get a 23 and apply broadly to DO schools and someone should take you.

You aren't a bad applicant. Simply retake the mcat, check out the mcat sub forums for guidance.

Too late to retake, so go ahead with your apps. Let us know if you get any interviews and make sure to apply to LUCOM.

Don't go to the Caribbean. How long did you study? Did nerves get the best of you? Did you take any practice tests, and if so, what did you score?

Like others have said, you have a great app, and it would be a shame to limit yourself due to your MCAT score. Get a 23 and apply broadly to DO schools and someone should take you.

I work Night Shifts and full time as a nurse. Honestly, it was just hard to study and retain information when you work 5 days in a row and try to study within those days. I think when retaking it, I will have to go part time and study more effectively.

Retake it opie. Mid-twenties would put you odds on for an acceptance in my mind. With a 27+ you'd be a baller candidate for DO schools.

maybe submit some secondaries after retake score comes back (late feb/early march)

Hello,

I applied to every D.O. school in the U.S. Do I even have a fighting chance?? thanx for your input in advance

You should retake and aim for 24+ ...

Merging cross posted threads and moving to the International Medical forums.

If you would like more information about making your application competitive for US medical schools, please create or update a WAMC thread.

There's only one right answer as to what you should do: retake the MCAT. Take a review course, find a different way to study, do whatever it takes and retake the test.