19 and battling between PTA and DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxwellHolmes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, im 19 yrs old, im currently battling between doing PTA and DPT. Ive been running up and down forums for the last two weeks, i hear its goods, and i hear its bads. My mom is a speech pathologist and my dad has been in OTA for the last 16 years, is a director of rehab in the hospital he works at, makes good money too. Im not in it for the money, but from what ive researched it seems like PTA's make the same amount that a PT will mike by the time that PT graduates, so if i become a PTA at 21, i have a feeling id be making the same as a PT by 24-26. I only emphasis this because i'd rather not take the extra schooling if the job function is almost the same (if anything better for a PTA because they get more involvement with patients) and the money may slightly be higher. My dad said to go PT because PTA's have to deal with being supervised by PT's, but im not really sure if that would be enough to make me go to school for an extra 4 years. I could use some help guys, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

DPT. KKnoingb that you can't evaluate yourv own patients or do progress notes in some clinics is a stab in the heart. Do the full thing my friend

Shadow a lot, and if you decide you're really into the profession you should do the DPT. I think a PTA degree would be a better bet(2 years vs. sevennnnn years) if you are unsure of if you want to be a PT for the rest of your working days :)