1st time post-bacc chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

responder_212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, thanks to anyone willing to take the time to reply. Here's the rundown for my WAMC:

Post-Bacc
NYS Resident/US Citizen/Caucasian
cGPA 3.88, sGPA 3.82
29 (avg 28.9 over 12 practice exams, 5 Kaplan (28.2), 7 AAMC (29.4))
Volunteer EMT in NYC (350+ clinical hours)
ED volunteer (50 hrs)
Quality Improvement Dept Volunteer (same hospital, 50 hrs)
Surgical ICU Volunteer (shadowing rounds, etc, 50 hrs)
Primary Care Shadowing (private clinic under a PA, 75 hrs)
Health Literacy Educator (public clinic, 50 hrs)
Research Assistant, PH policy center (75 hrs)
Project Coordinator/Research Assistant in HIV/substance use socio-behavioral research (2 yrs, full time)
AmeriCorps/Community HealthCorps service member (public clinic, 1 year full-time)
TA for general chemistry (public college, two semesters, on-going)
Co-Chair, Young Leaders Board for pediatric literacy non-profit (2 events per year for four years)
Benjamin S. Gilman International Scholar (study abroad, west africa)
Non-profit fundraising bike trip to Southeast Asia
Musician (non-professional but active in NYC)

Undergrad GPA 3.91 from top-50 private school, anthropology major/french minor
Committee Letter recipient/strong recommendations (7 total, including from my HIV research position, 2 science profs and a Dean of Clinical Affairs at a school here in NYC).
Applying as disadvantaged (low SES/medicaid/single-parent household growing up). Parents also passed away during the course of my PB studies.

Needless to say, I realize an MCAT point increase to 30 would bring my chances of overall admission from ~65% to ~80%. But if I'm being realistic, I have to consider retaking to be a serious risk given my average. From advice in previous threads, my current list of MD programs is below. It would also be ideal to gain acceptance in an urban place where I'd be excited to live (i.e. North/South Dakota are noticeably off my list).

Louisiana State University in NO
University at Buffalo
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University
Florida State University
Tulane University
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
University of South Carolina School of Medicine
Medical University of South Carolina
Oregon Health & Science University
Georgetown University
University of Miami
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
George Washington University
University of Louisville
University of Illinois
University of Hawaii
University of Colorado Denver
Morehouse School of Medicine
Drexel
Florida International University
Boston University
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Stony Brook
Penn State
University of Washington School of Medicine
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of Vermont College of Medicine

I am also planning to open the DO door; from what I can tell the list of urban schools might be:

Nova
Touro
Kansas City
Michigan State

I have lived in NYC the last 9+ years, though I think I'm ready for a change.

I'll obviously go where I have to and I've worked very hard on compiling a thought-out and well-written application. I realize the uncertainty, here.

Apologies for the lengthy post, but I thought to include as much as might be relevant.

Like I said thanks in advance for thoughts/opinions/suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

To add: primary AMCAS to be submitted by July 15 (after one last-minute advisor meeting). I plan to prep during verification for secondaries (I'll have the time) and turn-around as quickly as possible (mid/late Aug, ideally for Sept/Oct interviews).

MD schools like to see a high MCAT + high GPA with non-trad students like yourself. For DO programs, you're fine for any, including mine.

MSAR ONline is your friend. Pay close attention to the Acceptance Info tab, which would tell you that all of the state schools on your list where you're an OOS applicant will reject you, because they prefer the home team. Plus, look up what HBCs are, and their mission.

Beggars can't be choosy, either.

Goro suggests
Rush
Penn state
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
NYMC
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
All new MD programs except Va Tech and Hofstra

Nova
Touro
Kansas City
Michigan State
PCOM
MUCOM
PCOM-GA
NYCOM
Western

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input and expanded list, Goro. My thought with some of the OOS schools is that I have the AMCAS fee waiver and even if only 20-50 OOS students are accepted each year, why not at least give it a shot? I think for the position I'm in I'd rather regret trying than not. I would, though, like to cap my list at about 30.

Would anyone be able to clarify the 'list of dont's' for Loma Linda? I have searched the site and can't seem to find a place where this is specified.

No matter what I'm committed to staying positive (without being unrealistic) about this whole experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input and expanded list, Goro. My thought with some of the OOS schools is that I have the AMCAS fee waiver and even if only 20-50 OOS students are accepted each year, why not at least give it a shot? I think for the position I'm in I'd rather regret trying than not. I would, though, like to cap my list at about 30.

Would anyone be able to clarify the 'list of dont's' for Loma Linda? I have searched the site and can't seem to find a place where this is specified.

No matter what I'm committed to staying positive (without being unrealistic) about this whole experience.

For many of the OOS state schools that you're being discouraged from applying to: the OOS acceptances are pulled from particular pools. For example, I am pretty sure University of Washington's OOS students are from the WWAMI cohort, Colorado has specific criteria for OOS students, and Hawaii is not friendly to those without ties. I would bet the others follow suit in some fashion.

The LL documents are helpful; I'm sure this is a great fit for some, though not quite up my alley.

WRT the OOS concern for the west coast and pacific, this makes sense to me. I think I should put in for some places where I would be reaching, but the ones with such specific requirements for applicants like me probably strike them from my list.

All of this is part of researching where to apply as well as possible; thanks to everyone for their help!

Goro-any particular reason for your aversion to Hofstra? I realize it's a stretch, but being a newer med school, their MCAT 10th percentiles are 9/10/10; that's precisely my score. Plus I'm a NYS resident...

Catalystik-I appreciate the info. I don't see specific figures for OOS applicants on the MSAR (or the school's website). Does a reference exist for in vs. OOS accepted students at some of these schools? Apologies if that number breakdown is common knowledge; I hadn't been aware it exists.

Many thanks-it's so nerve wracking to be in this sort of middle ground of low mcat/strong gpa but there has to be a way to make sure I'm part of that 65%.

Oops, they changed it so it's even more stringent:
The School of Medicine gives preference to the following applicants:
  • Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. For the 2015 cycle, superior academics is defined as a cumulative Total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.70 or higher and a cumulative score of 32 or higher on the most-recent eligible MCAT.
Source: http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/sc...admissions/academic-and-selection-factors.cfm

Just an update, since I feel bit of lurker's guilt here on SDN: I have been accepted to an in-state MD program and PCOM. I am waiting on results from three other MD interviews and was just offered another today.

I can only speak as a guy who's now mostly on the other side of this, but if anyone with similar stats/circumstances/experiences comes across this post I hope they'll find it helpful. I truly believe the way I distinguished myself from the hypothetical 1/3 of students who won't gain MD admission on these numbers is by spending thoughtful, reflective time on my primary and secondary applications. I can unreservedly say I worked my a__ off on these. I know everyone says that, but I'm talking upwards of months in the editing/revision stages until they were perfect. Taking some of the advice above was also very useful: in a numbers game, go to the data. I spent time scouring the MSAR and building my own spreadsheet to make sure I applied to places that really made sense. I fully completed applications to 30 schools (25 MD and 5 DO). For thoughts on why I was easily convinced this was ultimately a fantastic (however arduous) time investment, look no further than White Coat Investor (the blog and/or the book). I would recommend that literature to absolutely anyone who reads this post (or site).

The short of this is that I truly believe if the pursuit of medicine is your life passion/purpose and you fall into a borderline numbers position for MD programs like my MCAT reflects, spend a TON of time mulling over why you MUST go down the long education pipeline of this profession. It's a fantastic use of time and something I believe the admissions process is designed to elicit regardless. I can only speak for what, gratefully, worked for me, but I hope a little snippet like this can do others some good as well.

Reactions: 1 user