1yr Research at Tripler for Surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Special Delivery

Lots of Cynical Experience
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told/read that Tripler requires a year of research during their residency program between years 2 and 3. However, I didn't see any research program locations in Hawaii. Does this mean a 1 year relocation for the research, a change of duty station, or how is this handled?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by "research program locations"? The program is just the general surgery residency, which you're still a part of even when you're doing the research year. In any case, there is certainly no PCS involved.

From Mods TAMC General Surgery link:
"We have grown to 4 positions per year and have a mandatory year of research inserted between the clinical R2 and R3 years for a total of six year of training."

From Mods GME slideshow... the list of locations doing medical research:
The U.S. Army Aeromedical Research Laboratory (USAARL), Fort Rucker, Alabama
•U.S. Army Institute of Surgical Research (USAISR), Fort Sam Houston, Texas
•U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Chemical Defense (USAMRICD), Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland
•U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID), Fort Detrick, Maryland
•U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine (USARIEM), Natick, Massachusetts
•Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR), Forest Glen, Maryland

My question clarified:
Is the research being referred to between the clinical R2 and R3 years done at TAMC, or would I be going to one of the above medical research centers?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's done at TAMC.

That slideshow is misleading. All Army medical centers and most of the MTFs will conduct research to one degree or another. No one moves to those locations to do their intra-residency research requirement. I'm sure there are a few exceptions to that just to prove the rule, but doing so would be difficult at best since being on research doesn't absolve you of clinical duties. For example, surgery residents at TAMC still take weekend call about once a month.