2+2 - Who else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, I've read quite about about the pro's and con's concerned with 2+2 vs. 3+1 programs.

Going to Mississippi, and they are 2+2, but what other vet schools in the country use this format?

Side note, What year can you take the NAVLE? Can you take it after your second (some reason I thought that used to be the case), or is it only after your 3rd. or 4th?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

So I don't know much about 2+2 schools but I know they have a program at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where you do two years there and then your final 2 years at Iowa State University.

I think its a great idea, because many schools are not limited because of their third and fourth year's but because their first two years are limited due to space requirements.

And, I can't help you on the NAVLE except I'm pretty sure its after the fourth year. I know in Medical School they take one board exams after their second year, and another when they graduate. That might be where the confusion lies.

Hope this helps!

The University of Missouri also has a 2+2 program. Not sure of the other schools, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there are lots of variations on this--UPenn has 2.5 years in the classroom, 0.5 learning technical skills (second half of 3rd year) and then your last year is in clinics. So, you're out of the classroom for 1.5 years, but only in clinics for 1 (I think?)

Hey,

I don't know the poster's original intention, but I believe the true definition of a 2+2 school is where 2 years are spent at a school that is not an AVMA accredited veterinary school and then the final 2 years at an AVMA accredited school.

A 3+1 school would be like Ross University, where they do three years at Ross and then their final year at a U.S. AVMA accredited school.

As a four year school, University of Pennsylvania does not fit into those guidelines.

However if the original poster meant a variation of this, I invite them to clarify and will retract my statements if this is not what they meant.

I think he was talking about 2 classroom + 2 clinical versus 3 classroom + 1 clinical.

Hey,

I don't know the poster's original intention, but I believe the true definition of a 2+2 school is where 2 years are spent at a school that is not an AVMA accredited veterinary school and then the final 2 years at an AVMA accredited school.

A 3+1 school would be like Ross University, where they do three years at Ross and then their final year at a U.S. AVMA accredited school.

As a four year school, University of Pennsylvania does not fit into those guidelines.

However if the original poster meant a variation of this, I invite them to clarify and will retract my statements if this is not what they meant.

I think he was talking about 2 classroom + 2 clinical versus 3 classroom + 1 clinical.

Yes, and thanks for the feedback.

I kind of expected a few varitions (like the 1.5+1.5+1 at Penn),but just kind of trying to get the jist of the other schools that do it that way.

NCSU is a 3 + 1 with selectives at the end of each semester. The students that I spoke with felt the selectives mean a lot in terms of their practical skill development.

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. My understanding was clouded by recent discussions surrounding the program at Iowa State University and University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

However, The Ohio State University would fit a similar model. They do three years of teaching and one year of clinicals. However the third year students start clinics in their spring quarter. So its more like 2 2/3's and 1 1/3?

Also I know that University of Illinois is a 3+1 I believe but they are changing their curriculum to include 8 weeks of courses in the first year. So how would that fit?

I guess my question is that although this is a good discussion, I think all the schools are in their own models and trying to classify them into specific systems will be difficult.

No Imagination, I don't know about you but the 2+2 was a HUGE selling point for me. I am a hands-on learner and the 2 years of clinical experience sounds awesome! I think an additional year of clinical experience will also help people learn how to properly interact with clients.

Are there study guides for the NAVLE? Is it an electronic or written exam?

TSUJC, talk to me next semester if you want about study exams, E-text books, ect. Typically I am the king at getting my hands of electronic copies of anything (no promises yet, but I've got some nice stuff already). In the past I would leave a CD on a desk for people to do what they want with.

As far as it being a selling point? Uhh, I would LOVE to say that I weighed all my letters of acceptance and somehow MS won out, but the truth is, they said yes was all the selling they had to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Navle can only be taken in (or after) 4th year.

Western is 2+2

As far as it being a selling point? Uhh, I would LOVE to say that I weighed all my letters of acceptance and somehow MS won out, but the truth is, they said yes was all the selling they had to do.

Who am I kidding? The same goes for me!!! :laugh:

The new UIUC curriculum is very innovative with its integration of clinical skills and classroom learning. Starting with our class of 2013 (yay!) we'll have semesters divided into two 8-week blocks, the first of which will be spent in mini clinical rotations, and the second of which will be classes. I think the fourth year will remain the same with regular rotations.

http://vetmed.illinois.edu/ilvetnews/

I believe Michigan is 2.5/1.5. They added selectives into the curriculum too starting 2nd year.

I think this thread is great. But I am a little confused. Who WOULDN'T want more years of hands on experience vs pen and paper learning? I guess no one said they wouldn't but now I am really wondering what are the advantages of more time spent in a classroom rather than learning on the job? Why wouldn't every school be 2 + 2? Ok, hope I'm not being too naïve here :) does anyone know what model according to this that UTK uses? I guess this is a big selling point of Western for me too.

Ok nevermind that last thread unless anyone has anything to add to the post twelvetigers posted! That was very helpful, thankyou twelvetigers :)

I think, in some ways, categorizing schools as 3+1 or 2+2 might be a bit simplistic. From the other thread a lot of students noted they started surgeries in 2nd year. That is true at NCSU as well (according to the tour guides I spoke with) and that there are opportunities for hands on extensively from 2nd year on, and there are opportunities starting first year for those who pursue those experiences. We start selectives following first semester. We do have a shorter summer because of selectives. Apparently there are also lunch case studies over the lunch break.

I would never have realized there was so much potential early on for keeping 'hands on' if I hadn't talked with several students.

I understand that the NAVLE is the national exam, but I don’t really understand how you become licensed to practice in a particular state. Are there individual exams for each state?

Added: I did some researching and found that Texas (the state I plan to practice in) offers the state licensing examination multiple times throughout the year. It covers jurisprudence questions related to the Veterinary Licensing Act and Rules of Professional Conduct.

Last edited: