2-3 Year Gap How bad is this? What to do? Almost 40 now!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCtoMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for reading, here's a quick summary and my question.

Completed past GE/Pre-Med/Pre-Chiropractic work in 1990's total 90 units gpa 3.0 and completed 300+ units in Chiropractic Medicine grad degree with gpa 3.5 cum laude class of 2000. Worked full time from 2000-2003, in private clinical practice and worked full-time for M.D. general medical practice from 2003-2005. I left only to go back to school full-time pre-med.

I returned back to school in 2006 at a local CA 4 year state university to complete all pre-med science/math/writing requiremtents as well as complete my B.S. degree. Graduated in 2009 with dual majors/dual minors: B.S. Cell & Molecular Biology, B.S. Medical Imaging, Minor Chemistry, Minor Applied Physics, including 2.5 years of independent research while attending full time classes Neural Stem Cell Biology research. Worked part-time as Chiropractor while attending full-time load average 15-18 units per semester during my 4 years there, including 3 units of research every semester. Completed 130+ units during those 4 years with gpa of 3.94 and new pre-med science/math gpa of 3.94. Earned A's in every pre-med science Bio/Chem/OChem/Physics/Pre-Calc/Calculus I/Upper Division Writing ect.

When I graduated in 2009, I was totally exhausted from the 4 year academic war and wanting to take some time off as well as financially in really bad shape including almost loosing my home to foreclosure. Therefore, I went back to work full-time after graduation working as Chiropractor to save my home and pay some bills, no student loans during those 4 years ie had to pay myself. Then in 2010, my wife and I welcomed our first child, which further added time to my med school plans. I did take MCAT Princeton review summer 2009 but did not take MCAT, totally chickened out despite my complete mastering of the basic sciences, that review really messed with my brain/confidence almost wished I never took it.

So here I am now Jan 2011, 1.5 years after graduation-will be 2 years at time of June 2011 AMCAS application and will be 3 years if accepted into class of 2012, no MCAT grades yet but taking in Spring. Working now part-time as Chiropractor to allow prep for MCAT and no volunteer work yet, only research and clinical work. Started Volunteer work Dec 2009 tutor homeless children 2-3 hours week. Hope to start another 3-4 hours volunteer at local free clinic or clinical care extender program if I can fit in time. Since I'm weak in volunteer work need to fill this hole in my application.

My quesion :confused: is how does this 2-3 year gap look? I'm turing 40 this March, oh no :eek:, went back to school full-time at age 35, should have-could have-would have applied by age 38/39. Still got the fire/desire to continue my vision quest, the 2 years off really helped, got to live again, no academic stress/exams/gpa warfare ect. Feeling charged up again and ready to attack MCAT with a new sense of purpose.

At least I completed my mission to complete my B.S. and take all the pre-med pre-reqs, master the basic sciences, do some research, have some options with either PhD or MD or MS or medical imaging career if needed. Feeling good that I have some options but medicine will always be my priority and passion in life. Working with patients, helping them recover from pain, disease, and disability, is what I hope to do with my life and what gives me a sense of purpose as well as passion to be a life long learner.

Thanks for reading, hope to hear any opinons or thoughts!!!!!!!!!

For those beginning pre-med sciences/post bac/ or in the middle, fight-fight-fight for every single point, go to office hours, don't miss even a minute of class, get every single lab point possible to help with lecture, and master the basic sciences/math. Do every single assigned problem, read every single chapter in books, start every semester strong, don't get behind, stay on target with each class, take notes, read notes 10 times before every test ect. If you want it bad enough you can A'ce every pre-med class. :D

Members don't see this ad.

That MCAT will make or break you. Give it all you've got.

The general concern with a break from coursework is that you get rusty and things change, particularly with bio. Have you heard of PCR? Retroviruses?

My suggestion would be to not change anything in your plan for applying, but be ready to take a hard upper div science class or two (microbio, immuno, genetics, biochem, neuro etc) after you apply, preferably in summer. This sets you up to report fresh science grades to your schools, either in your secondary application or later in a letter of intent, while it can still have an impact on your status.

You'll need to have 3-4 letters of recommendation from faculty. I suggest getting started on these now. Also get one during summer if you take more classes.

Make sure to get adult supervision (by which I mean mature professionals who won't blow sunshine on you) for your personal statement and secondary essays. You're coming from a background that can be controversial, which can be a big distraction. The focus needs to be on your aptitude for allo/osteo medicine. I suggest working up a draft as collateral for faculty when you ask for recommendations - then they can give you feedback.

Best of luck to you.

Hi, thanks for reading, here's a quick summary and my question.

Completed past GE/Pre-Med/Pre-Chiropractic work in 1990's total 90 units gpa 3.0 and completed 300+ units in Chiropractic Medicine grad degree with gpa 3.5 cum laude class of 2000. Worked full time from 2000-2003, in private clinical practice and worked full-time for M.D. general medical practice from 2003-2005. I left only to go back to school full-time pre-med.

I returned back to school in 2006 at a local CA 4 year state university to complete all pre-med science/math/writing requiremtents as well as complete my B.S. degree. Graduated in 2009 with dual majors/dual minors: B.S. Cell & Molecular Biology, B.S. Medical Imaging, Minor Chemistry, Minor Applied Physics, including 2.5 years of independent research while attending full time classes Neural Stem Cell Biology research. Worked part-time as Chiropractor while attending full-time load average 15-18 units per semester during my 4 years there, including 3 units of research every semester. Completed 130+ units during those 4 years with gpa of 3.94 and new pre-med science/math gpa of 3.94. Earned A's in every pre-med science Bio/Chem/OChem/Physics/Pre-Calc/Calculus I/Upper Division Writing ect.

When I graduated in 2009, I was totally exhausted from the 4 year academic war and wanting to take some time off as well as financially in really bad shape including almost loosing my home to foreclosure. Therefore, I went back to work full-time after graduation working as Chiropractor to save my home and pay some bills, no student loans during those 4 years ie had to pay myself. Then in 2010, my wife and I welcomed our first child, which further added time to my med school plans. I did take MCAT Princeton review summer 2009 but did not take MCAT, totally chickened out despite my complete mastering of the basic sciences, that review really messed with my brain/confidence almost wished I never took it.

So here I am now Jan 2011, 1.5 years after graduation-will be 2 years at time of June 2011 AMCAS application and will be 3 years if accepted into class of 2012, no MCAT grades yet but taking in Spring. Working now part-time as Chiropractor to allow prep for MCAT and no volunteer work yet, only research and clinical work. Started Volunteer work Dec 2009 tutor homeless children 2-3 hours week. Hope to start another 3-4 hours volunteer at local free clinic or clinical care extender program if I can fit in time. Since I'm weak in volunteer work need to fill this hole in my application.

My quesion :confused: is how does this 2-3 year gap look? I'm turing 40 this March, oh no :eek:, went back to school full-time at age 35, should have-could have-would have applied by age 38/39. Still got the fire/desire to continue my vision quest, the 2 years off really helped, got to live again, no academic stress/exams/gpa warfare ect. Feeling charged up again and ready to attack MCAT with a new sense of purpose.

At least I completed my mission to complete my B.S. and take all the pre-med pre-reqs, master the basic sciences, do some research, have some options with either PhD or MD or MS or medical imaging career if needed. Feeling good that I have some options but medicine will always be my priority and passion in life. Working with patients, helping them recover from pain, disease, and disability, is what I hope to do with my life and what gives me a sense of purpose as well as passion to be a life long learner.

Thanks for reading, hope to hear any opinons or thoughts!!!!!!!!!

For those beginning pre-med sciences/post bac/ or in the middle, fight-fight-fight for every single point, go to office hours, don't miss even a minute of class, get every single lab point possible to help with lecture, and master the basic sciences/math. Do every single assigned problem, read every single chapter in books, start every semester strong, don't get behind, stay on target with each class, take notes, read notes 10 times before every test ect. If you want it bad enough you can A'ce every pre-med class. :D

I think u're in great shape, just do well on ur MCAT, continue ur volunteering (obvious strengths in research/clinical exp therefore shore up volunteering some more). It don't think u're 2 year gap is any concern, I mean u're working, handling ur responsibilities, no one will knock u for that. However, it's good to maintain current/recent premed activities to show continued interest so keep volunteering.

Congrats on ur accomplishments!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should also consider D.O. programs. I don't know if there's any rivalry between chiropractors and osteopathic physicians, but in terms of the selectiveness of D.O. programs you have a better shot of getting in. No offense, but at your age I would think that you would not want to delay medical school any longer than you have to :)

Yeowza. You did a LOT of work! If the adcoms can't look at all of that and think a break was well deserved and an important sanity refresher, then they're insane. I don't see how they could possibly think that you wouldn't be willing to put in the same 150% towards med school that you did for all of this. That's just my opinion, though, and it's well admitted that adcoms are, actually, insane.

I kind of want to adopt you as my pre-med mentor. I need someone like you to kick my butt every now and then when I start getting tired and overwhelmed!