2.55 with no idea where to start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HF246

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently graduated UC Davis with a 2.55 GPA and trying my best to find a route to med school. I've looked at Post-Bacc programs, Medical Certification Programs, SMPs, you name it. I have become increasingly disheartened since it appears that even the lowest GPA cutoff is 2.75. I knew it would be a difficult journey, but it appears that I have no options to even get started. Does this mean becoming a doctor is completely out of the question for me?

I really hope it isn't and would be so grateful if someone can provide a solution, no matter how non-traditional or out-of-the-box it is. Pointing to any resources where I can do more research or giving me ideas of what I can do/who I can talk to to find out more would also be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I would suggest you take a few prereqs on your own without applying to a postbacc and work on making As on each of those classes. Have you taken any previous science classes? If you have and you did badly repeat those and kill them. Also work on getting good ECs and a good MCAT score.

Look into DO-they allow grade replacement for repeated courses (MD averages the 2 grades) and are supposedly more nontrad friendly.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Please do a search in this forum. There are plenty of people with below a 3.0 gpa that have come up with a strategy to get themselves eventually into med school.

You'll be able to get better input from this forum once you do some research and ask questions that haven't already been addressed several times.

Members don't see this ad :)
UG GPA and S GPA are Undergraduate GPA and Science GPA.......what was your UG major? As noted above....depends on your previous science courses.

How well do you perform on biology, chemistry, physics, biochemistry? Do you struggle with math? if it easy for you? There are several factors at play here. English and Psychology are often required for pre-meds. You may already have a couple requirements done and not realize it!

You can graduate with as many undergraduate degrees (and Graduate degrees for that matter) as you want...BUT...if they don't contain the required science and non-science courses...OR...you haven't completed those required courses thru self-study or a program....it makes no difference to the adcoms. You either meet the requirements or you don't.

Standing alone, your 2.55 GPA isn't an AUTOMATIC bar to becoming a Doctor. You can call medical schools and speak with their respective admissions counselors about ways to improve your chances of acceptance. You may want to speak with your UG school and do the same. Devise a plan and go for it. You can also pay private MD coaches who specialize in advising pre-meds..but that can cost big dollars (sometimes)

Remember this: It's less about being academically "brilliant" and more about being determined....within reason. Realistic expectations will offer you a more clear picture of what lies ahead.

One other thing I'd like to add here: MCAT and UG GPA are two large factors, however, there are several OTHER requirements/factors at play here. Volunteer hours, clinical hours, how well you present or speak professionally, any organizations you are a member. Adcoms seem to enjoy well rounded applicants from what they have told me. Staring into a microscope and scoring well on tests can only take you so far.

Best of luck.

Thanks so much andtimeyet and Rocketdog! My major was Health Sciences so I have all my required courses done and a ton of volunteer hours and clinical hours under my belt. Does it matter at which colleges I take my additional courses or should I just go for whatever is most convenient for me?

You would be a great candidate to take advantage of the AACOMAS grade replacement policy, wherein you retake all classes where you made a C or lower, and replace your prior poor grades with (hopefully) As. This will be the quickest and easiest way to rehabilitate your GPA to a point where it would be reasonably competitive for you to be able to apply. Go to the AACOM website for further information about how grade replacement works.

Note that this grade replacement option is available for DO schools only. If you are dead set on attending an MD school, you will need significantly more grade rehabilitation in order to be competitive, as AMCAS averages grades rather than replacing them. This will be more time-consuming and expensive, and IMO is not worth doing over attending a DO school for most people in your situation. Also note that this option will not help you if you have not improved the poor study habits that yielded you a 2.5 GPA in the first place. Do not start taking any classes until you are prepared to do what is necessary to make all As (or as close to it as possible) in them.

Reactions: 1 users