MD & DO 2.68 Should I even Try???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FabulousWonderful&Awesome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have spent the last 4 years of my part time college life taking mismatch classes, some in business most in psychology. Before, this past year I had a GPA of 3.0. This past year has been really hard on me, my grandfather had been sick all year, he never left the hospital, and passed away a few weeks ago. I didn't study, didn't do my homework, and failed all around every class!! I honestly am not sure why I tried two semesters at the rate I was going with my first round of epic fails. I'm really not sure why the college let me either. It also happened to be the first year I took full time classes, WONDERFUL. I have 58GPA hours with a GPA of 2.68. I have only taken one science class, biology which I did receive an A in! Should I even try? I was studying for a psychology degree, I have been researching salaries, and I have had a better paying job in collections! (so boring!) I would really love to be a psychiatrist working with teens with substance abuse/mental health issues, is this possible for my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Retake classes do well on the mcat and go do

DO would be your best option. But based on what kind of work you want to do, there are definitely other methods of getting there if you aren't dead set on the specific type of care physicians bring to the table for mental health issues/substance abuse.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO would be your best option. But based on what kind of work you want to do, there are definitely other methods of getting there if you aren't dead set on the specific type of care physicians bring to the table for mental health issues/substance abuse.

Can you explain more please?

I think the poster is saying that you can do what you want to without going to medical school.

Yeah, you don't need an MD to be a counselor/therapist.

But if you want to be a physician, you have a tough road ahead of you involving a lot of course retakes.