2.99 cgpa and Science 31 mcat teach med school currently

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drgsxr750

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as the title suggests, I have a dismal undergrad at 2.99 (2.99 science) in 2 majors however it was a few years ago. I have solid research and have been published 5 times at last count. I'm a teaching assistant for neuro and general anatomy at a med school. I have 1000's of hours of patient care (nurse, scribe, CNA). Decent LOR's. 1000's of hours of volunteer, pilot, scuba instructor and lots of other EC's. Mcat of 31. Instate MI. Are there any oos schools that I will even make committee? I'm sure once my app hits committee I might get some love but I'm pretty sure most will weed me out on GPA alone. Any advice? Thank you for all the advice! I appreciate you input in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm genuinely intrigued as to how you can teach at a med school with a 2.99 cGPA and sGPA. I mean, I can see how publications/research can help that out, but it must've been a hard battle to get a TA gig in medical school courses with those grades. not meaning to disparage you, just really curious

I'm genuinely intrigued as to how you can teach at a med school with a 2.99 cGPA and sGPA. I mean, I can see how publications/research can help that out, but it must've been a hard battle to get a TA gig in medical school courses with those grades. not meaning to disparage you, just really curious
I'm guessing that he is a TA at the grad level, so once you're in, they don't ask anymore about your GPA.

OP - You need to raise that GPA to a 3.0 so that schools look at you. Clearly your best shot will be at the school you work because relevant people know you. Some will say an SMP is the best route, but I think you may get a shot if you apply early and with a 3.0 because of your other excellent aspects to the application. At worse, you don't get accepted and do that SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing that he is a TA at the grad level, so once you're in, they don't ask anymore about your GPA.

OP - You need to raise that GPA to a 3.0 so that schools look at you. Clearly your best shot will be at the school you work because relevant people know you. Some will say an SMP is the best route, but I think you may get a shot if you apply early and with a 3.0 because of your other excellent aspects to the application. At worse, you don't get accepted and do that SMP.

Agreed. If you have been published that many times and have teaching experience, why not re-take some of your college classes that you did poorly in? You should be able to breeze through them and pick up a few easy A's to boost that GPA up.

I do teach at the med school level, 1st and 2nd years to be exact In a rather esoteric subject. Anyway, the reason I don't want to boost my Gpa is it'll take me another year or two and I literally don't have time with all the speaking arrangements I have to do. I realize this sounds like a farce but its true.

And as for how I got the gig, it's a subject that not many know and the ones who do are already professors. Once of the professors that taught genuinely asked me to help out one year and I fell into it.

You're correct; every MD school, and nearly all DO schools will autoreject you on that GPA alone. You have two options.

Re-take every F/D/C grade from science courses to take advantage of AACOMAS' grade replacement policy (which does wonders for GPAs). The apply to DO programs. You'd definitely make it into mine.

For MD, you're going to need to do amore rigorous post-bac or SMP (preferably one at a medical school) to show AdComs you can handle medical school.

So as the title suggests, I have a dismal undergrad at 2.99 (2.99 science) in 2 majors however it was a few years ago. I have solid research and have been published 5 times at last count. I'm a teaching assistant for neuro and general anatomy at a med school. I have 1000's of hours of patient care (nurse, scribe, CNA). Decent LOR's. 1000's of hours of volunteer, pilot, scuba instructor and lots of other EC's. Mcat of 31. Instate MI. Are there any oos schools that I will even make committee? I'm sure once my app hits committee I might get some love but I'm pretty sure most will weed me out on GPA alone. Any advice? Thank you for all the advice! I appreciate you input in advance!

Well shucks lol I guess it's an instate med school for me or the Carib. Thanks for the replies. I hope that someone won't auto reject me. Are there any schools that won't auto reject me?

You're correct; every MD school, and nearly all DO schools will autoreject you on that GPA alone. You have two options.

Re-take every F/D/C grade from science courses to take advantage of AACOMAS' grade replacement policy (which does wonders for GPAs). The apply to DO programs. You'd definitely make it into mine.

For MD, you're going to need to do amore rigorous post-bac or SMP (preferably one at a medical school) to show AdComs you can handle medical school.

Every school I know of needs a 3.0 minimum. Some of the newer DO schools (read: one's you don't want to go to) have cut-offs at 2.75

You're at a 2.99 dude. Take one online undergraduate class in some random bio. Get an A. You'll be above cut-off.

Every school I know of needs a 3.0 minimum. Some of the newer DO schools (read: one's you don't want to go to) have cut-offs at 2.75

You're at a 2.99 dude. Take one online undergraduate class in some random bio. Get an A. You'll be above cut-off.
I definitely agree with this. Much better to take some bull**** online course, get the 3.0 and apply broadly to DO than settle for the caribbean.

I would have to take a lot of classes since I have so many credits.

I would have to take a lot of classes since I have so many credits.
DO allows for grade replacement. I find it hard to believe that replacing one (or two) course(2) would not push from 2.99 to 3.00. Either way, with a compelling story, the DO schools that screen at 2.75 may become interested in your application.

Got into my first instate choice. So there is hope for all you underdogs

Reactions: 2 users