2 Interview Questions and 1 from left field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FulfilledDeer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've posted rarely but lurked forever. Applying into anesthesia because of all the positive messages in this forum!

I keed. Well, not about applying into anesthesia. Anyway, I have 3 questions I was hoping I could get people to weigh in on:

1. Does anesthesia care about step 2? I take it in a couple days and I'm really starting not to care about it at all that it's likely going to be the same as my step 1 or slightly lower (240-ish).

2. Once you have an interview is it a level playing field? I think I'll interview well, and I have a decent amount of interviews, but it's a top heavy list with programs I was seriously not expecting interviews from, especially since I changed specialties well beyond last minute and submitted late. I sort of feel like I'm being set up for a hidden camera show and will show up with all these people with publications and PhDs and...stuff.

3. This is the random one. What is the policy on bags (like a messenger bag etc) in the OR? Officially. I've heard people say it both ways but they've always been invested (either caught with a bag or chewing someone out for having one). I can see a reason why not...but then again if you take it to the extreme I probably shouldn't bring in an outside pen either.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

With regards to #3, are you asking about during interviews or during residency? For residency it'll probably depend on your program's culture. Where I'm at it's not an issue, other places it is.

#3 - just in general. PP or academic, I've seen it both ways, and I'm wondering if there's a "right" answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in private practice so maybe not the best guy but I'll take a stab at these questions.

1) If you're > 240 step 1, I would've held off on Step 2 and taken that after the rank lists go in (or timed it so the score would be after). At this point, the Step 2 can only hurt you but likely will not matter unless you absolutely bomb/fail which does not sound likely.

2) Definitely not a level playing field, this is not the NCAA tourney here. Programs have their top and bottom candidates. The interview process is to make sure you're not a complete DB. If you are, then a top end candidate could go unranked. On the other hand, a bottom end candidate maybe able to jump a few spots but unlikely that far. Obviously being ranked #30 is a lot better than #35 though. Also, there tend not to be too many published authors in anesthesia. I had one classmate do anesthesia with her MD-PhD. I had a few publications but those were in other fields and likely did not help me much.

3) Do you mean a bag on the interview? If they make you put bunny suits on, then usually they have you leave the stuff in the anesthesia office area where it is unlikely anything will be taken. In terms of as a resident, I am sure it is hospital policy. With people trying to point the finger at infection rates at everyone but the surgeon, I am sure some places think your MRSA and VRE infested bag is the culprit for all the wound infections.

Thanks for the response! As for 1, that's what I would have done, but alas, my school requires pre-December step 2. So now I'm wondering if I just don't release it....

And for 3, I did mean as a resident/attending during your workday - bringing around your papers/stethoscope, pen, etc. Which, you're right, why didn't I realize it would be the source of all infections. :)

Don't release! Programs will not hold it against you if you have a good step 1 score. I chose to not release mine and things turned out just fine.

This is NOT true. Many programs now don't interview you without a Step 2 score...including mine (Wake). So, you can feel free to hold out on the step 2 exam, but you might miss out on some interviews/rankings if you don't release it. Just do well and then it won't be an issue.

Our hospital doesn't allow bags in the OR in high risk surgeries, or outside jackets, or fleece. You can bring a notebook, laptop, etc.
For example, no bags in ortho spine or neuro rooms, fine in ENT and Urology.
It's a stupid policy and should be universal, but several of the senior surgeons in these low infection risk rooms use briefcases or pilot style roller bags.