2 Navy med students getting married - seek advise...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jajst35

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are seeking advise for the Navy residency match.

Does anyone know how it may work? and possibilities of matching together, whom to contact, and any/all topic that may relate/apply.

Thank you,
James & Michelle

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the Navy will try very hard to accomodate you, at least geographically e.g. Camp Pendleton and Balboa are both in SoCal. They will not increase residency positions or give you both additional points. I think you have a very good chance of being stationed together (you must be married not just engaged or boyfriend-girlfriend). By the way, you will also both get housing and pay allowances with dependents even though you are both in the military. In my experience (12 years active duty), married military spouses have been very successful at getting stationed close to each other. On final comment; both of you should be prepared to take care of all family matters by yourself (e.g. pay bills, take kids to child care, taxes, fix the car, etc) because it is inevitable that one of you will be deployed while the other is at home. Unfortunately if your deployment cycles are six months out of phase, this could mean not seeing each other for up to twelve months (worse case scenerio).

It will depend on your detailer. If you are lucky, you will be stationed in the same city.....but I believe anywhere within 200 miles is considered co-location.

My wife and I (both were active duty...I'm anesthesia...she is IM) waited 4 years to get stationed together.

At one point we were in different countries...but after 4 years, the Navy found a medical center that needed both an anesthesiologist and an Internist.....Most Navy medical facility don't need both.

Members don't see this ad :)
James & Michelle,

My husband and I are both Navy HPSP M3 students trying to figure out the whole thing too. There is a great contact at NMETC-Marianne Pedersen. She's the head of Professional & Career Planning. She told us: "The Intern Selection Committee will give married HPSP couples preference and try to assign them together. I don't think in my 10 years I have seen a married couple split up."

Marianne did tell us too that is would probably be easier for us to rank Portsmouth as our #1 choice opposed to our favorite, San Diego. This is just cuz it's less competitive to match at Portsmouth and we are more likely to get into our specialty.

The distance that counts as co-location isn't 200 miles as far as I know, it's closer to 50miles. That means if one of you is interested in family med, they could conceivably be at Camp Pendleton and the other at Balboa and live in between. With traffic, that kind of sucks too, but it is co-located.

I'll let you know if we gather anymore new info. We're also hopefully going to meet with a retired Capt. who was involved with the selection committee for advice.

Kelli & Kris

COnavydoc said:
James & Michelle,

My husband and I are both Navy HPSP M3 students trying to figure out the whole thing too. There is a great contact at NMETC-Marianne Pedersen. She's the head of Professional & Career Planning. She told us: "The Intern Selection Committee will give married HPSP couples preference and try to assign them together. I don't think in my 10 years I have seen a married couple split up."

Marianne did tell us too that is would probably be easier for us to rank Portsmouth as our #1 choice opposed to our favorite, San Diego. This is just cuz it's less competitive to match at Portsmouth and we are more likely to get into our specialty.

The distance that counts as co-location isn't 200 miles as far as I know, it's closer to 50miles. That means if one of you is interested in family med, they could conceivably be at Camp Pendleton and the other at Balboa and live in between. With traffic, that kind of sucks too, but it is co-located.

I'll let you know if we gather anymore new info. We're also hopefully going to meet with a retired Capt. who was involved with the selection committee for advice.

Kelli & Kris

Once you become active duty, you no longer fall under NMETC. What Pederson says about internship is accurate. However, after internship, you are at the mercy and whim of the your detailer. 200 miles IS co-location. I know of multiple couples who are "co-located" within 200 miles.

You don't have to believe me, but, if in the future, you are separated, remember X-MMD.

You may be lucky, or you may be not. You cannot predict your future at this point. I would prepare for separation. If you get lucky, then GREAT.

That is the advice of someone who has been there....done that.

militarymd said:
Once you become active duty, you no longer fall under NMETC. What Pederson says about internship is accurate. However, after internship, you are at the mercy and whim of the your detailer. 200 miles IS co-location. I know of multiple couples who are "co-located" within 200 miles.

You don't have to believe me, but, if in the future, you are separated, remember X-MMD.

You may be lucky, or you may be not. You cannot predict your future at this point. I would prepare for separation. If you get lucky, then GREAT.

That is the advice of someone who has been there....done that.

dear lord you are very bitter! my husband is a former SWO and we're friends with several (happy) navy physicians and have a good idea of the good and bad. so, i always take your comments with a grain of salt. but come on, must everything be doomsday? i will grant you that being separated for 4 yrs would absolutely suck, but really can you honestly say that is the norm? retention is bad enough already, i can't imagine that is it. i know you're just making people aware of the harsh horrible reality that is possible and has happened. but geez, sounds like you're in dire need of a vacation.

COnavydoc said:
dear lord you are very bitter! my husband is a former SWO and we're friends with several (happy) navy physicians and have a good idea of the good and bad. so, i always take your comments with a grain of salt. but come on, must everything be doomsday? i will grant you that being separated for 4 yrs would absolutely suck, but really can you honestly say that is the norm? retention is bad enough already, i can't imagine that is it. i know you're just making people aware of the harsh horrible reality that is possible and has happened. but geez, sounds like you're in dire need of a vacation.

No, what I describe is not the norm, however, it is also not that uncommon. With your knowledge of the military (your husband) your reactions to what may happen to you is tempered by his prior experiences.

For those who have no point of reference, they need to know of the possibilitiy of getting screwed because of whatever situation exists at the time of their orders, etc.

I am very bitter about my military experience. I'm in private practice right now, and wonder why I ever took the scholarship. Paying back a loan right now would be incredibly easy.....I would gladly pay off loans for the rest of my life (although in reality just a few years if I had taken loans) and get back the years that I lost with my family.

militarymd said:
No, what I describe is not the norm, however, it is also not that uncommon. With your knowledge of the military (your husband) your reactions to what may happen to you is tempered by his prior experiences.

For those who have no point of reference, they need to know of the possibilitiy of getting screwed because of whatever situation exists at the time of their orders, etc.

I am very bitter about my military experience. I'm in private practice right now, and wonder why I ever took the scholarship. Paying back a loan right now would be incredibly easy.....I would gladly pay off loans for the rest of my life (although in reality just a few years if I had taken loans) and get back the years that I lost with my family.

If you don't mind me asking...What specialty are you? and what did you not like, have trouble w/, wish was different about your military experience?
You can email direct if prefer : [email protected]

jajst35 said:
If you don't mind me asking...What specialty are you? and what did you not like, have trouble w/, wish was different about your military experience?
You can email direct if prefer : [email protected]

I'm an anesthesiologist with subspecialty training in critical care medicine. My wife is an internist.

Just search my posts. They contain everything about me.