2 or 3 classes first semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheNewGuy8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I need to do the full run of science classes for my pre reqs.

Right now I'm signed up for Chem 1/Lab and Bio 1/Lab (this lab is 2 credits). Is it a terrible idea to take a 3rd class? I don't even know if one is offered, but if it is it would make a big difference schedule-wise, but I don't want it to be unmanageable.

I'm taking the courses at UC Berkeley, if that makes a difference.

My schedule idea at the moment is this:

Spring '11 - Chem 1, Bio 1
Summer '11 (I'm working almost full time during this summer so I'm very tied-up) - Chem 2
Fall '11 - Bio 2, OChem 1, Physics 1
Spring '12 - Ochem 2, Physics 2, MCAT study, Applications for June

Starting Spring '11 I'm going to be either volunteering in a hospital or working as a scribe in an ER. I'm also working part-time during the non-summer months for my job (its very part-time though, with occasional bursts of lots to do, but that's rare).

My main fear here is that Spring of '12 will be too much with courses, MCAT studying, and Application prep.

If I do 3 courses this coming semester it would look like this:

Spring '11 - Chem 1, Bio 1, Physics 1 OR Bio 2 (they can be taken out of order or at once)
Summer '11 - Chem 2
Fall '11 - Physics 1/Bio 2, OChem 1, Genetics or some other upper level course
Spring '12 - Physics 2, Ochem 2, Mcat Study, Application Prep

In writing it out I guess all it does is let me take an upper level in Fall '11, since I can take Bio 1/2 interchangeably but not Physics 1/2.

Do applications care if you say "during my glide year I will take Genetics and Biochemistry, etc." ?

Also - how common is the requirement for Calculus nowadays? I *MAY* be able to take that during Summer '11 as well - but I don't know if I can fit it in.

Do adcoms care if your physics is trig or calc based?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on too many factors. I know some professors that make their classes so hard that an OChem, Physics, Bio combo is impossible. I know students that despite that perform perfectly well. Others, even if the classes are easy, have a hard time adjusting to those schedules. I suggest you go with your plan in the first semester and gauge how capable you'll be of accomplishing those other semesters. Don't force yourself into finishing quickly.

I'm taking Chem 1, Physics 1, and Bio 2 all w/labs. But I've had Chem and Physics 20 years ago, just dont remember it (I'm sure it will come back to me). It also just barely makes me a full time student. I figure for me this is a good way to reacquaint myself with school.

Regarding calc based or not calc based, I am under the impression that it is not required to be a calc based physics. I think some schools require you to take calculus though, but it depends on the school.

The idea I've read is whatever load you take doesn't matter, just so long as you can make A's.