Other OT-Related Information 2 OT Schools- I can't decide which one to attend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT_gal

Reaction score
I recently got accepted to AdventHealth University in Orlando, FL and it costs roughly 81K. It's a master's program and it has been my goal school throughout the whole application process. On the other hand, I applied to Brenau's MSOT program in Gainesville, GA and was waitlisted. They emailed me a few days ago saying they were making a second cohort for the OTD program and invited me to join since there were so many qualified applicants. Brenau's OTD is roughly 116K which is extremely expensive. I think it would be fun to teach in the future but I also am not 100% sure about that. I had my heart set on AdventHealth but now it's hard to pick and an OTD seems to be the way to go right now. I've also heard that it doesn't really matter unless you want to go into academia... Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got accepted to AdventHealth University in Orlando, FL and it costs roughly 81K. It's a master's program and it has been my goal school throughout the whole application process. On the other hand, I applied to Brenau's MSOT program in Gainesville, GA and was waitlisted. They emailed me a few days ago saying they were making a second cohort for the OTD program and invited me to join since there were so many qualified applicants. Brenau's OTD is roughly 116K which is extremely expensive. I think it would be fun to teach in the future but I also am not 100% sure about that. I had my heart set on AdventHealth but now it's hard to pick and an OTD seems to be the way to go right now. I've also heard that it doesn't really matter unless you want to go into academia... Any advice?
Go with the cheapest school... always always. You can always go back for a post-prof OTD. U might work for a company that'll help you pay or u may be able to save to cash flow it if you really want to teach in the future. An extra 36k may not seem like much, but it really is A LOT.... Plus the FL school was already ur dream/goal school.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I agree with going to the cheapest school. Applying to school, you never truly understand the cost of the program until you are taking out loans every semester. Student loans are so real and the difference between Brenau and AdventHealth is huge. AdventHealth has their own health system so it would be easier to get employed by them if that is your goal. However, truly consider if a Masters or OTD is your goal. If you want an OTD it would be easier to get it over with now as many of my professors have stated. A post professional OTD usually is more expensive than an entry level OTD. With post professional, you are usually working and going to school at the same time so that would be hard to juggle. I do not see myself with an OTD as you can still do so much with a Masters. I am only getting an OTD if it’s paid for by my employer (which is sometimes hard to come by). Think of your career goals and let that lead your path. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user