2 Tier Medical System?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daniel565

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Allright, the US has a gross debt of ~100% of its GDP. Economically, this is not really where a country wants to be. Obama's healthcare plan thus requires more doctors, to be paid for with less money. I see many courses of action, one of whic is:

* Liscence a new healthcare provider (DPM, DC, DNP, ...) to increase the physician numbers for lower gov. training cost.

I am worried about this, which already sort of happened with Osteopathic Medicine (Even though that was a genuine movement). Unless there's public outrage, it seems like a real possibility bcz problem gets solved with low cost for the Gov. The government is also under tremendous lobbying pressure from various groups who would LOVE to impliment this option.

However, in addition to reducing the quality of patient-care for obvious reasons;
More physicians = more supply = Drop in compensation/market leverage

Another worry is that this will create a 2 tier system for the public, who may see the gov. as hastily issuing unlimited practice rights for physicians.
When the public is only familiar with MDs as the "original physicians," all other physicians become regarded as 'second class doctors,' especially the less known ones that don't even have the word "medicine" in their degree (DO - hint hint).

I'm really into Osteopathic Medicine, I respect the philosophy and see a lot of potential for manipulation therapy as part of the core training of a physician. Maybe I'm getting cold feet before a major career decision, I dunno. I'm just looking for different perspectives, and specifically, for someone to show me if/why my analysis about future non-MD physicians in the US is wrong.

Thanks in advance for your input

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You talk about DOs as if they are a new population of physicians... They have been around since the late 1800s/early 1900s. Even if the public is "more familiar" with the MD nomenclature, chances are they have seen and will eventually see a DO without ever knowing the difference.

Also, DCs can currently be primary care physicians for insurance purposes and there are a variety of DNPs who already have their own practices. I don't see DPMs ever having primary care status because of the narrow scope of their practices. Regardless, as much as I'd love to see the residency slots increase with the increase in medical schools opening, its unlikely because these are also government funded and would cost the government even more money. There will be a decrease in foreign trained physicians as a result and the extra patients will likely be seen by DNPs, etc. in order to meet demand.

Then again, everything until it actually happens is speculation. We can argue for years about what could and will happen but no one can accurately predict the scope of change that the new reform will bring. Until then, I'm just going to focus on becoming a physician, I'll work on figuring out specialty and how I can pay off my debts when that time comes.

Unless a few things are changed in that HC bill disaster ... yes, I really think it will become two-tiered - especially in PC fields. People who are new to insurance or on a state-based plan will see NPs, PAs, and some MD/DOs who will take anything in DMV style clincs, and then you'll have a tier that caters to the population that is used to some quality of care and will pay more for it. I think it's also the best chance for the concierge model to take hold. However, I don't think MDs will have any better foothold than DOs in this market. The big dawg concierge doc near me (in a very ritzy, beach community) is a DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
You talk about DOs as if they are a new population of physicians... They have been around since the late 1800s/early 1900s. Even if the public is "more familiar" with the MD nomenclature, chances are they have seen and will eventually see a DO without ever knowing the difference.

Also, DCs can currently be primary care physicians for insurance purposes and there are a variety of DNPs who already have their own practices. I don't see DPMs ever having primary care status because of the narrow scope of their practices. Regardless, as much as I'd love to see the residency slots increase with the increase in medical schools opening, its unlikely because these are also government funded and would cost the government even more money. There will be a decrease in foreign trained physicians as a result and the extra patients will likely be seen by DNPs, etc. in order to meet demand.

Then again, everything until it actually happens is speculation. We can argue for years about what could and will happen but no one can accurately predict the scope of change that the new reform will bring. Until then, I'm just going to focus on becoming a physician, I'll work on figuring out specialty and how I can pay off my debts when that time comes.

DPMs are far, far, far better suited for PC than DCs.

DPMs are far, far, far better suited for PC than DCs.

I completely agree with this as well as your above post of conceirge docs. That said, DCs already are licensed to be PCPs (not sure if DNPs or DPMs are yet?). I didn't know this until one of the guys at my interview for LECOM was already a DC and told me. I don't agree with DCs being able to be PCPs btw because I don't believe their training warrants it

I know repealing the legislation is unlikely, but do you guys think it'll be amended a little after the November elections?

I have a feeling the majority in congress will switch over...

I know repealing the legislation is unlikely, but do you guys think it'll be amended a little after the November elections?

Yes. It will never be repealed (think Social Security Act of 1965 - Social Security and Medicare), but it will be tweaked and amended as time goes on. If it isn't (at least with regard to keeping private insurance companies alive by raising the fine minimum and making it harder to just jump on and off insurance when you're healthy/sick), it will create a single payer, government system. If THAT happens (which I think amendments will happen and it won't) and government doesn't making taking their insurance a condition for licensing ... you'll definitely see two tiers.

I completely agree with this as well as your above post of conceirge docs. That said, DCs already are licensed to be PCPs (not sure if DNPs or DPMs are yet?). I didn't know this until one of the guys at my interview for LECOM was already a DC and told me. I don't agree with DCs being able to be PCPs btw because I don't believe their training warrants it

I'm confused about what you're saying ...

Saying you're a primary care provider and being able to bill insurance for these services is a totally different thing. As far as I know, most states limit DC scope to spinal manipulation, and without the ability to write scripts, refer, bill insurances, etc, you really aren't a provider of anything besides spinal manipulation. Many DCs like to advertise as primary care "providers," but they obviously aren't on the level of FP, IM, etc, MD/DOs, and can't practice that freely anywhere in the US. DNPs are far, far closer to total independent practice.

I'm confused about what you're saying ...

Saying you're a primary care provider and being able to bill insurance for these services is a totally different thing. As far as I know, most states limit DC scope to spinal manipulation, and without the ability to write scripts, refer, bill insurances, etc, you really aren't a provider of anything besides spinal manipulation. Many DCs like to advertise as primary care "providers," but they obviously aren't on the level of FP, IM, etc, MD/DOs, and can't practice that freely anywhere in the US. DNPs are far, far closer to total independent practice.

I'm not saying as far as scope of practice. I'm saying as far as private insurance recognition DCs can be designated as a Primary Care Practitioner. If someone with Insurance A wants to declare their PCP, they have the option of making it a DC instead of an MD/DO. At least that is what was told to me by the DC who was at my interview.

Scope of practice wise, however, a DNP or even a DPM is obviously much closer in scope of practice to a traditional physician.

That said I could be completely wrong. Sorry my posts are confusing. I'm popping in and out while studying for a final on Thursday.

Last edited:
I'm not saying as far as scope of practice. I'm saying as far as private insurance recognition DCs can be designated as a Primary Care Practitioner. If someone with Insurance A wants to declare their PCP, they have the option of making it a DC instead of an MD/DO. At least that is what was told to me by the DC who was at my interview.

Scope of practice wise, however, a DNP or even a DPM is obviously much closer in scope of practice to a traditional physician.

That said I could be completely wrong. Sorry my posts are confusing. I'm popping in and out while studying for a final on Thursday.

I think that DC was mistaken, and there is no way any insurance company is going to reimburse a Chiropractor for the things a true DO/MD PCP does.

I think that DC was mistaken, and there is no way any insurance company is going to reimburse a Chiropractor for the things a true DO/MD PCP does.

Sounded weird to me too. I've been researching around trying to figure out what they can and can't do. Seems they can order x-rays, MRIs, etc. like a PCP but cannot be declared as such and obviously they don't have the practice rights to be a true primary care. I was wrong and misinformed.

Looking even further, I don't think a 2-tier system is sustainable long term because I've heard that Canada's system is technically 2-tier - single payer with option to pay yourself but that seems to be a very small minority. If anybody wants to correct me on this, go ahead because I really haven't read up on my health care policy since around New Years. Anyways, Canada can't even sustain their government system and I've heard that the creator of the single payer system in Canada actually says there is a crisis and it needs privitization.

Also, you can look at Greece as an example. Think outside of just health care economics and realize the government has to pay for several other things BESIDES health care. When your entitlement system gets too large, you will be forced to shut down the government-tier or cut back dramatically and privatization will once again spring up. I'm pretty sure a provision of Greece's bailout was privatization of their health care system.

People can whine and complain about not having free health care all they want but if the government can't pay for it, after a long day of whining and moaning and lots of pain, the government still can't pay for it. Think of a 16 yr old girl whining to her parents about not buying her a car and demanding that they buy her one even though they can't afford it...she whines, moans, pleads, threatens, but at the end of the day, the parents aren't in a better financial position to buy her that car.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that the reason some of Europe's universal health care systems lasted as long as they did is because the USA is essentially paying for it. We are paying for their defense, so they can pay for these social programs, and as a net result, our tax dollars are subsidizing european health care. Since we're the big spenders, it probably would or will come crashing down faster than it has there.

If we in fact end up with a two tier system that would be a big improvement. We now have those who can afford the concierge/elite level of care,the average PPO member, the average HMO member, Medicare patients, Medicaid patients, and of course then there are the uninsured.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking even further, I don't think a 2-tier system is sustainable long term because I've heard that Canada's system is technically 2-tier - single payer with option to pay yourself but that seems to be a very small minority. If anybody wants to correct me on this, go ahead because I really haven't read up on my health care policy since around New Years. Anyways, Canada can't even sustain their government system and I've heard that the creator of the single payer system in Canada actually says there is a crisis and it needs privitization.

Also, you can look at Greece as an example. Think outside of just health care economics and realize the government has to pay for several other things BESIDES health care. When your entitlement system gets too large, you will be forced to shut down the government-tier or cut back dramatically and privatization will once again spring up. I'm pretty sure a provision of Greece's bailout was privatization of their health care system.

People can whine and complain about not having free health care all they want but if the government can't pay for it, after a long day of whining and moaning and lots of pain, the government still can't pay for it. Think of a 16 yr old girl whining to her parents about not buying her a car and demanding that they buy her one even though they can't afford it...she whines, moans, pleads, threatens, but at the end of the day, the parents aren't in a better financial position to buy her that car.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that the reason some of Europe's universal health care systems lasted as long as they did is because the USA is essentially paying for it. We are paying for their defense, so they can pay for these social programs, and as a net result, our tax dollars are subsidizing european health care. Since we're the big spenders, it probably would or will come crashing down faster than it has there.

Canadian's are pretty satisfied with universal coverage overall, but you're right, a lot of our provinces are heading towards some form of privatization. A while back, I think doctors practicing only for the upper of the 2 tiers was sort of illegal here, the reasoning being that when the rich and the poor both are forced to use the same system (the lower tier), the rich pressure the system to provide better quality for everyone. I don't agree with this idea bcz theoretically the poor can just as easily pressure the system upwards with their 'votes,' and it's a breach of my rights to tell me that I can't buy something bcz someone else can't.

In any case if US-DOs are truly as entrenched in the US market as JaggerPlate suggested, then my worries about the danger of US-DOs being 'perceived' as the lower tier physicians should such a two tiered system emerge is ill-founded. Now I'm actually thinking that if US-DOs stay a 'minority' they just might be perceived as the 'upper tier' physicians, simply because they're "different/special,":xf: - the upper classes of society seem to love that.

"Oh my dear dear, MDs are just for the peasants, I will only go to a D.O. :p "

Last edited:
If we in fact end up with a two tier system that would be a big improvement. We now have those who can afford the concierge/elite level of care,the average PPO member, the average HMO member, Medicare patients, Medicaid patients, and of course then there are the uninsured.

It would be better if the government just stayed the hell out of health care.

Canadian's are pretty satisfied with universal coverage overall, but you're right, a lot of our provinces are heading towards some form of privatization. A while back, I think doctors practicing only for the upper of the 2 tiers was sort of illegal here, the reasoning being that when the rich and the poor both are forced to use the same system (the lower tier), the rich pressure the system to provide better quality for everyone. I don't agree with this idea bcz theoretically the poor can just as easily pressure the system upwards with their 'votes,' and it's a breach of my rights to tell me that I can't buy something bcz someone else can't.

In any case if US-DOs are truly as entrenched in the US market as JaggerPlate suggested, then my worries about the danger of US-DOs being 'perceived' as the lower tier physicians should such a two tiered system emerge is ill-founded. Now I'm actually thinking that if US-DOs stay a 'minority' they just might be perceived as the 'upper tier' physicians, simply because they're "different/special,":xf: - the upper classes of society seem to love that.

"Oh my dear dear, MDs are just for the peasants, I will only go to a D.O. :p "

A patient I was talking to privately today while shadowing mentioned that every DO he's been to has been more caring/dedicated than the MD counterparts.

He went on to mention he's had MDs simply give up on him, and that he'll prefer a DO over MD everytime. LOL

It would be better if the government just stayed the hell out of health care.

How on Earth would politicians get elected if they couldn't promise the majority everything they wanted? :rolleyes:

I know repealing the legislation is unlikely, but do you guys think it'll be amended a little after the November elections

No I have no confidence that the crooks called congress will do anything right. You have to understand that billions of dollars are going to be made by the friends/spouses/family members of politicians on both sides of the isle as a result of this bill. Regardless of what they say, they'll never downsize government. Look at what the lying rats in the democrat party did when they took over.

You see Good old Georgie Bush, the rock-ribbed Republican Freemarketeer that he was raped the treasury for eight straight years and the controllers in the GOP decided it was time to throw the ball to the other gang. And then the other gang tookover and all of the sudden the whole antiwar attitude of the left has disappeared now that they're friends and family are raking in all the graft from the no bid contracts (see Dianne Feinstein [D-CA] and how much cash she and her husband are swimming in).

So just like the dems lied to you about getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan to get elected, the repubs are lying to you about repealing health care.

A 2 tiered system is definitely not an improvement. Having two tiers means one tier is going to be government-run; even looking past the specific complaints many have about the government tier itself regarding rationing, quality, etc., it is a huge budgetary item for the government. The costs will continue to spiral out of control.

Let's expand on this idea of the costs growing annually at an out of control rate. The government heavily entrenched in the health care system as a large payer will have to make some financial decisions. Their choices:

1) Continue paying for health care and let the costs grow annually. (This one will anger anybody who has any amount of money, whether in the bank or in their wallet.) It will get to the point where the government cannot keep up with health care expenditures and will either have to borrow money or print money to pay for it. Borrowing will result in higher taxes to pay principle plus interest and will eventually result job losses. Printing will result in decreased purchasing power for every dollar, or inflation. Sure, the average kid working at the mall will be making 8 dollars per hour minimum wage due to the law in place, but now hes got health care access on the gov't tier! Too bad the prices of everything are skyrocketing. What's the point of 8 dollars an hour when everything doubled in price? The net effect was a paycut and all of a sudden that 8 dollars per hour doesn't go nearly as far as it did before.

Inflation hurts the poor the most, and fooling them into thinking the government tier is great for them is a distortion of the truth. You can't keep nominally raising wages attempting to outpace inflation and expect more inflation to NOT happen. Businesses are paying their workers more money for equal productivity, so they have to charge more for items they sell to make up for it...voila...inflation. Inflation kills their currency, any ability to make a decent living, and since the poor's wages don't keep up with inflation, their purchasing power is decreased resulting in them being MORE POOR.

2) Stop paying for health care, start cutting the budget for how much health care you provide. (This one will anger those who actually have chronic health problems.) Health care budget cutting and refusal of payment will result in rationing and despite Obama's attempt to calm the fears of "pulling the plug on granny", this could very well be the net effect of rationing even though it may not happen in a literal sense of pulling a plug on your grandmother or involving a panel of bureaucrats planning people's deaths.

In this government tier, if the service, lets say a surgery, is refused because the government doesn't have money in the budget, the patient doesn't get the surgery. And if the patient does get the surgery, it doesn't mean that the patient got the service for free. In fact, that patient not only indirectly paid for the service, but made every other person (poor people included) pay for it too! As mentioned above, the patient paid for it indirectly through continuing inflation of currency and higher prices of goods in general from taxation paying for health care.

It should also be noted that Medicare, a prime example of a government tier for seniors, is one of the highest deniers of claims in the health care system compared to private health insurers.

According to the American Medical Association’s National Health Insurer Report Card for 2008, the government’s health plan, Medicare, denied medical claims at nearly double the average for private insurers: Medicare denied 6.85% of claims. The highest private insurance denier was Aetna @ 6.8%, followed by Anthem Blue Cross @ 3.44, with an average denial rate of medical claims by private insurers of 3.88%

Source: http://www.independent.org/blog/?p=4459
(Note- if you try to write off this source due to any sort of political nature, you can see the actual AMA document and figures at the provided link

A 2 tiered system is definitely not an improvement. Having two tiers means one tier is going to be government-run; even looking past the specific complaints many have about the government tier itself regarding rationing, quality, etc., it is a huge budgetary item for the government. The costs will continue to spiral out of control.

Let's expand on this idea of the costs growing annually at an out of control rate. The government heavily entrenched in the health care system as a large payer will have to make some financial decisions. Their choices:

1) Continue paying for health care and let the costs grow annually. (This one will anger anybody who has any amount of money, whether in the bank or in their wallet.) It will get to the point where the government cannot keep up with health care expenditures and will either have to borrow money or print money to pay for it. Borrowing will result in higher taxes to pay principle plus interest and will eventually result job losses. Printing will result in decreased purchasing power for every dollar, or inflation. Sure, the average kid working at the mall will be making 8 dollars per hour minimum wage due to the law in place, but now hes got health care access on the gov't tier! Too bad the prices of everything are skyrocketing. What's the point of 8 dollars an hour when everything doubled in price? The net effect was a paycut and all of a sudden that 8 dollars per hour doesn't go nearly as far as it did before.

Inflation hurts the poor the most, and fooling them into thinking the government tier is great for them is a distortion of the truth. You can't keep nominally raising wages attempting to outpace inflation and expect more inflation to NOT happen. Businesses are paying their workers more money for equal productivity, so they have to charge more for items they sell to make up for it...voila...inflation. Inflation kills their currency, any ability to make a decent living, and since the poor's wages don't keep up with inflation, their purchasing power is decreased resulting in them being MORE POOR.

2) Stop paying for health care, start cutting the budget for how much health care you provide. (This one will anger those who actually have chronic health problems.) Health care budget cutting and refusal of payment will result in rationing and despite Obama's attempt to calm the fears of "pulling the plug on granny", this could very well be the net effect of rationing even though it may not happen in a literal sense of pulling a plug on your grandmother or involving a panel of bureaucrats planning people's deaths.

In this government tier, if the service, lets say a surgery, is refused because the government doesn't have money in the budget, the patient doesn't get the surgery. And if the patient does get the surgery, it doesn't mean that the patient got the service for free. In fact, that patient not only indirectly paid for the service, but made every other person (poor people included) pay for it too! As mentioned above, the patient paid for it indirectly through continuing inflation of currency and higher prices of goods in general from taxation paying for health care.

It should also be noted that Medicare, a prime example of a government tier for seniors, is one of the highest deniers of claims in the health care system compared to private health insurers.

The government could also tackle its own budgetary issues and get the hell out of the health care system. In the short run this will lead to problems but overtime prices will have to drop precipitously. Its the same thing with tuition. Why does tuition keep going up every year? Well the dunces in the Obama admin. would have you believe its because of private lenders. In fact, federally guaranteed student loans are the reason tuition rates keep increasing. The govt guarantees loans so students can pay whatever the cost, leading the universities with no incentive to control costs and on and on till eventually the moral hazard creates an endless upward trend in costs. Again fixing this would necessarily lead to less people being able to afford higher ed. in the short run but in the long run universities would have to control costs to make it affordable in order for them to keep operating.

Look at any industry with little to no gov't involvement. Lasik surgery is a good example. Not covered by insurance. Yet the surgery gets cheaper every year and the quality keeps going up. So in the end, insurance for routine care would have to go the way of old yeller since it essentially does the same thing government does to create moral hazard.

As a side note:

Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?

Self-identified liberals and Democrats do badly on questions of basic economics.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703561604575282190930932412.html?mod=rss_opinion_main

Excerpt:

Who is better informed about the policy choices facing the country—liberals, conservatives or libertarians? According to a Zogby International survey that I write about in the May issue of Econ Journal Watch, the answer is unequivocal: The left flunks Econ 101.

Not like its something we didn't know already though, right?
It's just hilarious that conservatives, the ones that call educated people elitists, are now circle jerking over emails about liberals not knowing stuff.

Oh and holy crap. So liberals can't get past their morals to choose the most logical answer. At least we have morals *bazing*.

Last edited:
It's just hilarious that conservatives, the ones that call educated people elitists, are now circle jerking over emails about liberals not knowing stuff.

Oh and holy crap. So liberals can't get past their morals to choose the most logical answer. At least we have morals *bazing*.

Where did I say I was conservative putz? Yeah it is funny to mock stupid liberals like you putz. "So liberals can't get past their morals to choose the most logical answer" -- pretty much sums up what a liberal is: if it makes me feeeeeeellllll good it must be correct. Never mind logic, its only important that we feeeeeeellllll good and advance "social justice."

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Where did I say I was conservative putz? Yeah it is funny to mock stupid liberals like you putz. "So liberals can't get past their morals to choose the most logical answer" -- pretty much sums up what a liberal is: if it makes me feeeeeeellllll good it must be correct. Never mind logic, its only important that we feeeeeeellllll good and advance "social justice."

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Lol. whatever dude. Get mad and call me a putz, like I care. You kind of look like a putz yourself with the petty name calling. I guess it wasn't obvious enough by the *bazing*... That morals thing was a joke.

Come to think of it.. I think that entire survey was a joke.
From their website.
We also report simple findings for the relation between economic enlightenment and each of the following variables: 2008 presidential vote, party affiliation, voting participation, race or ethnic group, urban vs. rural, religious affiliation, religious participation, union membership, marital status, membership in armed forces, NASCAR fandom, membership in the "investor class," patronage at Wal-Mart, household income, and gender. Linked appendices provide all data and the survey instrument.

Lol. NASCAR fandom.

This survey doesn't bother me. I am willing to listen to what it is trying to say. I certainly have problems with some of the questions, but that doesn't really matter because they make a point.
What bugs me is the fact that conservatives are forwarding this to all of their conservative buddies and having a laugh about how dumb us libs are.

Ah whats the point.

This is why I try to stay out of politics. I wish politics would stay out of this forum but I can accept how unlikely that is.

Can't we just talk about health care without referring to each other as NPR listening commie, or redneck gun-toting wackos?

And I may be stupid but at least umm... I don't remember how I was going to finish that.

This survey doesn't bother me.

ROFL. Yeah, totally doesn't seem like it at all.

What bugs me is the fact that conservatives are forwarding this to all of their conservative buddies and having a laugh about how dumb us libs are.

Yeah, your boys are knocking it out of the park right now. I can't decide which is smarter ... the way you fixed the BP oil spill, or the way your entire party condemned a ten page law without reading a word of it. God, I hate being a dip-spitting, NRA loving, dumb conservative ...

ROFL. Yeah, totally doesn't seem like it at all.
Nope. It doesn't. If it were a serious survey I might be bugged but in my opinion its garbage. They asked 21 questions but only used 8 to talk about how liberals are not good with economics. What about the other questions? Liberal answers didn't fit the agenda maybe? Who knows.
I realize that is a bit contrary to my previous statement. That is because I decided to read the survey... I have lost interest now, damn my short attention span.

JaggerPlate said:
Yeah, your boys are knocking it out of the park right now. I can't decide which is smarter ... the way you fixed the BP oil spill, or the way your entire party condemned a ten page law without reading a word of it. God, I hate being a dip-spitting, NRA loving, dumb conservative ...
Sorry but you can't honestly blame all of this on my party. This is everyone's fault including yours and mine. If your party was in office I would expect pretty much the same response.

Let me also point out how frustrated I am with my elected officials. I think it's BS how they are handling the oil spill. It really bugs me that they are messing with health-care without addressing the ridiculous cost of attending med school. There are TONS of things that Obama is doing that are the exact opposite of why I voted for him. You can't pigeonhole me just because I disagree with you on some things.

I recognize that I am guilty of it as well, I just wish that sometimes we could leave all the hate and anger out of politics.

Nope. It doesn't. If it were a serious survey I might be bugged but in my opinion its garbage. They asked 21 questions but only used 8 to talk about how liberals are not good with economics. What about the other questions? Liberal answers didn't fit the agenda maybe? Who knows.
I realize that is a bit contrary to my previous statement. That is because I decided to read the survey... I have lost interest now, damn my short attention span.

Sorry but you can't honestly blame all of this on my party. This is everyone's fault including yours and mine. If your party was in office I would expect pretty much the same response.

Let me also point out how frustrated I am with my elected officials. I think it's BS how they are handling the oil spill. It really bugs me that they are messing with health-care without addressing the ridiculous cost of attending med school. There are TONS of things that Obama is doing that are the exact opposite of why I voted for him. You can't pigeonhole me just because I disagree with you on some things.

I recognize that I am guilty of it as well, I just wish that sometimes we could leave all the hate and anger out of politics.

I was just yanking your chain ... I doubt the right would have done much better with the BP thing. I personally think it just shows the inefficiency of government in general. It blatantly depresses me to watch that oil footage though. Terrible thing. I agree with politics though. I used to put up all these heated facebook statuses during the election, and I had several people who I considered decent friends (knew them pretty well, but didn't interact with them all the time) remove me as a fb friend. Quite a lot of passion, and the result usually ends up quite the same.

I was just yanking your chain ... I doubt the right would have done much better with the BP thing. I personally think it just shows the inefficiency of government in general. It blatantly depresses me to watch that oil footage though. Terrible thing. I agree with politics though. I used to put up all these heated facebook statuses during the election, and I had several people who I considered decent friends (knew them pretty well, but didn't interact with them all the time) remove me as a fb friend. Quite a lot of passion, and the result usually ends up quite the same.

I've had some of my best friends from Jr. High and High School DE-FRIEND me because they thought I was a heartless a-hole for not supporting the health care bill. And yes, I don't support the current health care law, and if you follow my logic and previous posts, you may be able to gather why. I just find it hilarious that many liberals (not all) act as if they are open-minded and tolerant but it's only when you agree with them. I have a simple rule and it goes like this: If you got an opinion, that's awesome, you have every right to one. Just don't start name-calling or pulling the race card when yours disagrees with mine.

I've had some of my best friends from Jr. High and High School DE-FRIEND me because they thought I was a heartless a-hole for not supporting the health care bill. And yes, I don't support the current health care law, and if you follow my logic and previous posts, you may be able to gather why. I just find it hilarious that many liberals (not all) act as if they are open-minded and tolerant but it's only when you agree with them. I have a simple rule and it goes like this: If you got an opinion, that's awesome, you have every right to one. Just don't start name-calling or pulling the race card when yours disagrees with mine.

Yup. Again, I really don't want to start a debate here (my political views and stances on things like the HC bill are fairly obvious), but the liberal mindset always cracks me up:

"We are the most open-minded, accepting, tolerant bunch around ... unless your views differ slightly from ours - then you're a racist, sexist, homophobic, inbred fool, and we hate you."

Obviously this isn't indicative of all liberals/democrats, but humorous nonetheless.

During the HC debate on SDN I was never disappointed with some of these fall backs from people who supported the bill.

Both liberals and conservatives both have strong intellectual arguments for and against health care reform. Markets don't always work the way they are explained in the textbooks and government regulation is sometimes the best option. After all,it was BP that caused the oil spill not the government. Sure the government is culpable since it didn't adequately enforce or regulate the oil drilling business. The real debate among liberals and conservatives is about how much government intervention we need in the private sector. Over the last 10 years, corporations pushed for deregulation and were successful in decreasing government oversight. That's how we got into the housing bubble mess, the financial meltdown and Gulf oil mess. The "liberal" economists were the first to warn us of the financial meltdown in 2006 and my complaint with Obama is that he hasn't done enough to push regulatory reform in the banking and oil industries. All that talk show chatter about him being a socialist is awfully silly since he has more often than not just continued the path of the Bush administration when it comes to corporate oversight.

Both liberals and conservatives both have strong intellectual arguments for and against health care reform. Markets don't always work the way they are explained in the textbooks and government regulation is sometimes the best option.

I know that some textbooks can push propaganda - I've seen them before...but honestly if economic texts have zero credibility, how does your argument for government regulation have any more credibility?

After all,it was BP that caused the oil spill not the government. Sure the government is culpable since it didn't adequately enforce or regulate the oil drilling business.
BP didn't purposely cause an oil spill and anyone who thinks they actually want the oil to continue pouring isn't using their brain. This is bad for public image as well as bad financially. How does it make any sense logically to think BP wants to kill marine ecosystems and local economies while increasing their financial liabilities? In fact, one can make an argument that the government's regulations of the oil business caused this disaster to get out of control.

The real debate among liberals and conservatives is about how much government intervention we need in the private sector. Over the last 10 years, corporations pushed for deregulation and were successful in decreasing government oversight. That's how we got into the housing bubble mess, the financial meltdown and Gulf oil mess. The "liberal" economists were the first to warn us of the financial meltdown in 2006 and my complaint with Obama is that he hasn't done enough to push regulatory reform in the banking and oil industries. All that talk show chatter about him being a socialist is awfully silly since he has more often than not just continued the path of the Bush administration when it comes to corporate oversight.
Agreed on the debate issue, but disagree with practically everything else.

Housing crisis? Caused by too much gov't regulation - the government forced banks to make risky loans to people who under their calculations wouldn't normally receive them.

Financial meltdown? Caused by the housing mess and by uncertain business climate. Private sector creates jobs, government sector jobs take money from private sector to pay for government sector jobs....therefore you need private sector jobs to even warrant a need for government sector jobs. The fact that private sector jobs aren't being created is because of the uncertainty in the business climate. Everything in business is PLANNED in order to reduce uncertainty. How are you supposed to plan anything when Congress tries to pass bills without reading them and often without any of the general populace even being aware that the bill exists? How are you supposed to plan how many people you will hire or how you will expand in the next year when you don't know how much your taxes will increase?

Gulf oil mess? How about the fact that we aren't even ALLOWED to drill an oil well on land (Alaska anybody?) because of a bunch of whiny environmentalists? We need oil, people, but we are forced to build rigs in deep water to appease environmentalists and these rigs are cranking out more oil than they were originally designed for. If they built the oil rig ON LAND like normal people, the spill would have likely been fixed within a matter of days since there isn't any extra variables such as temperature and pressure to account for. The entire gulf oil recovery operation is uncharted territory, but it wouldn't be if the oil rig was on dry land.

Peter Schiff was one of the first to warn about the financial mess, and his entire motto is the fact that government is too big and interferes too much with markets. That sounds pretty conservative to me. The fact that he could be considered more socially liberal since he's Libertarian leaning doesn't really relate to the argument since we're basically arguing about economic policies and implications rather than social and ethical ones.

Obama pushing more regulations through? Are you aware that regulations pretty much add cost to the end product of everything that is regulated? Regulations are a lot like taxes...corporations don't pay for them, but we as the end purchaser of their products or services do. They just tack on the cost of the regulation to the final product/service and charge you and me. Corporations don't get taxed and anyone who believes this farce doesn't know economics. They simply act as a tax collector. Cars are a product in the US that are heavily regulated for safety reasons and I don't disagree that cars need safety regulation. However, these regulations that the government imposes ADD COST to the car when the car is being produced. The car needs airbags, seatbelts, and other specifications required by the government, which the car manufacturer adds on; it then takes the cost of the entire car, charges you THAT cost plus a little extra for profit. This same example of regulatory burden can be applied to practically everything. Thinking that corporations need more regulation is like shooting yourself in the foot because you'll be the one to pay for it.

Bush may have been a corporate friendly president, but Obama takes that negative element of Bush and adds on an entire layer of pandering to the "little guy" who feels screwed over. He uses practically every liberal lie in the book and appeals to emotion instead of reason, which works for the uninformed masses. The corporations get socialism (bailouts), the poor get socialism (handouts), but the middle class gets screwed when their money inflates into nothingness. What makes that worse is that a large majority of jobs in this country are small businesses, usually ran by people who are middle class.

Last edited:
Over the last 10 years, corporations pushed for deregulation and were successful in decreasing government oversight.

BP Lobbied for tax hikes, stimulus, Wallstreet bailouts:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...nt-pet-BP-now-a-capitalist-tool-95942659.html

The rest of your post is total non-sense. Look up the video "Peter Schiff was right" to see one of the few who predicted the housing bubble (far from a liberal, most liberals have absolutely no clue when it comes to basic economics).

When I was referring to liberal economists who predicted the financial outcome I was thinking of Roubini at NYU, Krugman at Princeton and Stiglitz at Columbia, all Professors of Economics with PhDs from elite institutions. I believe Schiff is a former stockbroker with an undergraduate degree from Berkeley (also an elite institution) years ago. While you may choose to believe Schiff, it's certainly not hard to find a number of highly respected economists that are liberal, published in peer review journals and highly respected in their profession. Even conservative economists with strong credentials like Greespan and Bernanke acknowledge that deregulating the financial institutions was a fiasco.

Canada did not join the deregulation bandwagon and they have pretty much avoided a financial meltdown while Iceland and Ireland (the poster children for de-regulation and the Austrian free market advocates) are now economic disaster zones.

And,of course BP did not want to create an oill spill. However, they made the decision to drill based on their expected future stream of profits not necessarily the potential costs to society. They decided not to drilll a second relief well when they built the original well because the costs were high and the likelihood of a leak was small. They were also in a hurry to get the well pumping oil and may have taken some shortcuts according to some whistleblower reports. In Canada and Norway, the government requires relief wells and yes it ends up costing BP more to drill oil off their coasts but they still make billions. Yes, BP will pay tons for the cleanup but in the end they will shift much of the long term costs to the taxpayers, fisherman, property owners, etc. And I am not even counting the costs due to the potential long run environmental consequences.

You have a right to your opinion but I would appreciate some civility and respect for those who disagree with you.

BP Lobbied for tax hikes, stimulus, Wallstreet bailouts:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...nt-pet-BP-now-a-capitalist-tool-95942659.html

The rest of your post is total non-sense. Look up the video "Peter Schiff was right" to see one of the few who predicted the housing bubble (far from a liberal, most liberals have absolutely no clue when it comes to basic economics).
Crikey's I'm trying not to get angry over your comments but it's not easy cause I'm an angry guy.

Differing ideas of your own /= incorrect ideas.
Just because Peter Schiff could see the obvious doesn't mean there were no democrats that could. Same goes for republicans. I'm sure people on both sides of the spectrum realized what was going on. Why does it seem so hard for you to admit that everyone is to blame, not just liberals?

I would also like to ask if you would accept NPR as an unbiased source of information because I sure as crap do not accept the Washington examiner as one.

We are all pretty similar, get over it.

edit:
I am also curious if you even read that survey? I gather that you just got the jist from the article you posted about it. The basic point was that going to college does not make you know about economics, therefore the "liberal college going elite" don't know much about economics.
From the survery:
If we think of the young adult years as especially formative,
it may be that the non-college experience—notably, the workplace or just "living
on one's own"—tends to impart economic enlightenment better than does the
college experience, and college goers simply miss the advantage of learning what
they would have learned from the non-college experience

If being economically enlightened, or receptive to it, were to
make it less likely that one would be admitted to college, that could help explain the
findings, but we doubt that there is much to the idea. One small experimental study
found that graduate programs in clinical psychology discriminate against social/
religious conservatives (Gartner 1986). Is it possible that college admission criteria
that stress social activism and community involvement or even party politics might
be biased in favor of fledgling social democrats?

It may be that, all else equal, being economically enlightened,
or receptive to economic enlightenment, tends to make one less inclined to go to
college, maybe because such bents make one more likely to enter the workplace or
to forge ahead on one's own, or maybe one perceives academia to be left-leaning
and avoids it for that reason. Also, if someone suspects that admission might be
biased against him, and applying is costly, that only would make one less likely to
apply.9

So where does that put all of us? Apparently we are all economically ******ed.

Last edited:
On a slighty unrelated topic, this' the funniest economic standpoint I've ever heard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIfH0vY2ANA

And on a truly unrelated topic, this one's even better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9gGJ6eu5vk

Back to the topic at hand,
Is the unlimited scope for DNPs virtually a guarantee now?
While the Physician : Patient ratio is frequently criticised, there are too many physicians for them all to be in the top tier should that two tier system arise. That means physicians will have to compete for the top tier market, just like lawyers.

As a premed, I plan to make a career for myself in medicine, but while it's safe for now, I'm concerned that the licensure of DNPs will lead to Physician societies (AMA & AOA) competing to place their members in that top tier of medical providers. Should this happen, the natural dividing line for USMGs would be the one separating MD / DO. Civil war within the profession is not good for anyone; the traditional, internationally friendly MDs would end up going up against the holistic, manipulation trained, yet residency lacking DOs.

On a scale of 1 to 10, was that scenario really paranoid or is there truth to it?

On a slighty unrelated topic, this' the funniest economic standpoint I've ever heard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIfH0vY2ANA

And on a truly unrelated topic, this one's even better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9gGJ6eu5vk

Back to the topic at hand,
Is the unlimited scope for DNPs virtually a guarantee now?
While the Physician : Patient ratio is frequently criticised, there are too many physicians for them all to be in the top tier should that two tier system arise. That means physicians will have to compete for the top tier market, just like lawyers.

As a premed, I plan to make a career for myself in medicine, but while it's safe for now, I'm concerned that the licensure of DNPs will lead to Physician societies (AMA & AOA) competing to place their members in that top tier of medical providers. Should this happen, the natural dividing line for USMGs would be the one separating MD / DO. Civil war within the profession is not good for anyone; the traditional, internationally friendly MDs would end up going up against the holistic, manipulation trained, yet residency lacking DOs.

On a scale of 1 to 10, was that scenario really paranoid or is there truth to it?
Man the acronyms in this thread... I feel like I am back in the Military. WWWDWA?

Maybe the AMA and AOA would combine forces instead to work out other options.

This DNP stuff is distressing. What would be the point of all this freaking hard work? Maybe I am naive to think that obtaining a DNP is not as difficult as MD or DO, but it really doesn't seem that way.
If I can obtain complete autonomy in 8 years with a program that might save me hundreds of thousands of dollars why would I bother with 8 years followed by who knows how many years of residency/fellowship plus enormous debt.

Speaking of debt...Something has got to be done.
Have you guys seen this? It's kind of old but I think it is relevant to the discussion.
"When Michelle Bisutti, a 41-year-old family practitioner in Columbus, Ohio, finished medical school in 2003, her student-loan debt amounted to roughly $250,000. Since then, it has ballooned to $555,000."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...030.html?mod=WSJ_hps_sections_personalfinance

Dang I am a slacker. Back to studying.

Crikey's I'm trying not to get angry over your comments but it's not easy cause I'm an angry guy.

Differing ideas of your own /= incorrect ideas.
Just because Peter Schiff could see the obvious doesn't mean there were no democrats that could. Same goes for republicans. I'm sure people on both sides of the spectrum realized what was going on. Why does it seem so hard for you to admit that everyone is to blame, not just liberals?

I would also like to ask if you would accept NPR as an unbiased source of information because I sure as crap do not accept the Washington examiner as one.

We are all pretty similar, get over it.

edit:
I am also curious if you even read that survey? I gather that you just got the jist from the article you posted about it. The basic point was that going to college does not make you know about economics, therefore the "liberal college going elite" don't know much about economics.
From the survery:
If we think of the young adult years as especially formative,
it may be that the non-college experience—notably, the workplace or just “living
on one’s own”—tends to impart economic enlightenment better than does the
college experience, and college goers simply miss the advantage of learning what
they would have learned from the non-college experience

If being economically enlightened, or receptive to it, were to
make it less likely that one would be admitted to college, that could help explain the
findings, but we doubt that there is much to the idea. One small experimental study
found that graduate programs in clinical psychology discriminate against social/
religious conservatives (Gartner 1986). Is it possible that college admission criteria
that stress social activism and community involvement or even party politics might
be biased in favor of fledgling social democrats?

It may be that, all else equal, being economically enlightened,
or receptive to economic enlightenment, tends to make one less inclined to go to
college, maybe because such bents make one more likely to enter the workplace or
to forge ahead on one’s own, or maybe one perceives academia to be left-leaning
and avoids it for that reason. Also, if someone suspects that admission might be
biased against him, and applying is costly, that only would make one less likely to
apply.9

So where does that put all of us? Apparently we are all economically ******ed.

The "obvious"? He was laughed at for four straight years by such shining purveyors of truth like Ben Stein and Art Laffer (Reagan's econ advisor). Of course the dummy Republicons are to blame for the sad state of the economy. You see good old Georgie Bush that wonderful Freemarketeer (so called) expanded government twice its size from when he inherited it. He spent money like a drunken sailor on landleave. All the while the dunces at the federal reserve kept interest rates far too low, the politicians paved the way for unqualified people to get loans with only 1% down and every schmuck from here to boca raton thought they were Donald Trump Jr. buying and flipping properties thinking the valuations on those properties would only move in a straight line.

Uh oh he's back and hes got a long post... (nh)

sandra1 said:
When I was referring to liberal economists who predicted the financial outcome I was thinking of Roubini at NYU, Krugman at Princeton and Stiglitz at Columbia, all Professors of Economics with PhDs from elite institutions.

But...
Markets don't always work the way they are explained in the textbooks and government regulation is sometimes the best option.
You previously said that academic textbook explanations don't always work and there is a lack of credibility. You later go on to cite academician economists with PhD's that teach at major universities (and often contribute to textbooks) as having credibility. It seems that you have a double standard in judging sources, where the textbooks that show pro-business examples as "not always correct", but you cite liberal economists with their large perceived credibility to back up your ideology.

I believe Schiff is a former stockbroker with an undergraduate degree from Berkeley (also an elite institution) years ago. While you may choose to believe Schiff, it's certainly not hard to find a number of highly respected economists that are liberal, published in peer review journals and highly respected in their profession
Correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to insinuate that Peter Schiff is inferior because he has an "undergraduate degree" especially compared to your previously mentioned PhD economists. The elite institutions comment is somewhat irrelevant since they all are part of elite institutions. However, what you don't get out of the "undergraduate degree" statement is that Peter Schiff runs a firm that has roughly $2 billion in accounts, Euro Pacific Capital. He's dominated PhD's and other "experts" in arguments on television interviews...I can let you Youtube that if you want. Where PhD's write peer review journals, teach classes, and gather respect among their academic peers, he's out in the private sector putting his beliefs to work.

Even conservative economists with strong credentials like Greespan and Bernanke acknowledge that deregulating the financial institutions was a fiasco
Are you making the assumption that conservatives should fall in lock step with what Alan Greenspan and Ben Bernanke say/believe? That is like believing that all Republicans who are Ron Paul supporters think George W. Bush was a great president. I stand by my statement regarding the government forcing financial institutions to give out risky loans. That seems more like over-regulation than deregulation to me.

Canada did not join the deregulation bandwagon and they have pretty much avoided a financial meltdown while Iceland and Ireland (the poster children for de-regulation and the Austrian free market advocates) are now economic disaster zones.
A few points I want to make.

Number 1: Making a blanket statement about deregulation while comparing Canada and the USA is really a difficult argument to make. They're VERY different countries.

USA GDP = 14.2 trillion in 2009, Canada GDP = 1.285 trillion in 2009.
Military expenditures (very important to note): USA, 4.06% of GDP in 2005; Canada, 1.1% of GDP in 2005.

The economies are different sizes, USA outspends Canada in military expenditures BY FAR with our foreign wars, added to the fact that the demographic makeup and population figures of the two countries are very different. The same applies for comparison from Canada to Iceland or Ireland. Blaming deregulation is a huge oversimplification when there are so many other factors in play, but blaming deregulation is easy to do when you are trying to get the "little guy" to vote for you.

Number 2: Liberals (or at least their politicians) seem to think that free market economics somehow equates to happy times forever with no bad times. Period. Any time that a recession strikes, Capitalism has FAILED and it's time to micromanage the economy from the top, down. All starting-level macroeconomics courses teach that economies are always cyclical (having up and down trends). Saying deregulation is the reason for huge problems while comparing apples to oranges isn't a very solid argument. I could make a plausible argument stating that economic cycles don't match up from country to country and at this point in time, the cycles for each country's economy is at a different point in the never-ending up/down fluctuations, which is a result of a variety of factors. I could also go on to say that government intervention has a direct effect on recovery out of recessions and different countries with different degrees of intervention affect their cycles differently.

Number 2.5: Since recessions are inevitable, the best thing to do is to shorten them. Giving business the tools to "rebuild" and start making money again does that. Lowering corporate tax rates gives businesses more incentive to hire and make more safer decisions. It's not like businesses are purposely slowing down when their main goal is to make money for their shareholders. Also, time value of money comes into play, where a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. Businesses want to make money now as opposed to in the future. Deregulation through the cessation of policy that favors big business, redistribution of wealth through bailouts, and other burdensome micromanaging aspects that add to cost of end products will help the economy by making things more affordable, encouraging competition, and encouraging entrepreneurs to take risk. Government's only role is to make sure everybody plays by the rules, competes fairly without crossing unethical or illegal boundaries, or monopolizes an industry. What government has done wrong is that they make too many rules that puts the stranglehold on business.

And,of course BP did not want to create an oill spill. However, they made the decision to drill based on their expected future stream of profits not necessarily the potential costs to society.
BP made decision to drill based on expected future stream of profit = that is what a business does. Any business that doesn't try to make profit is not going to exist very long. Do you know where the profits go? To shareholders, aka people who own stocks. I know people who own stocks and they are hardly rich or corporate fat cats. Potential costs to society? I'm not trying to downplay the whole oil disaster, but how often does an oil disaster of this magnitude take place? How could anyone have possibly foreseen this happening when nothing like it has ever happened before? I'm not supporting BP because they are not blameless, but I'm correcting misconceptions based on liberal talking points.

Corporations aren't these "evil" entities that populists love to imagine. They are legal entities and the businesses finance themselves by selling ownership shares(stock) in companies to regular people like you and me. We can all go get an E-trade account and buy stocks right now...you don't have to be some privileged elite to participate in ownership stake of corporations. In fact, I knew some people that worked at Wal-Mart getting paid 8 bucks an hour saying how they had the ability to purchase Wal-Mart stock. Liberals always paint this picture that profits are just earned on the backs of the innocent worker and the worker is utterly screwed regardless. Go buy some stocks, go take some risks, go start a business, go GET IT if you WANT IT.

They decided not to drill a second relief well when they built the original well because the costs were high and the likelihood of a leak was small. They were also in a hurry to get the well pumping oil and may have taken some shortcuts according to some whistleblower reports. In Canada and Norway, the government requires relief wells and yes it ends up costing BP more to drill oil off their coasts but they still make billions. Yes, BP will pay tons for the cleanup but in the end they will shift much of the long term costs to the taxpayers, fisherman, property owners, etc. And I am not even counting the costs due to the potential long run environmental consequences.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard from a variety of sources that we haven't been able to build a new oil well in this country for decades. On top of that, the structures we have in place aren't built for the volume they extract now. If there was corner cutting, then yeah, let them be punished to the extent that the current rules say. I don't believe in Big Government but I DO believe in ethical business. The problem is, whenever there is a slight problem (or even when there ISN'T a problem), the progressives pander to the public about how the law doesn't work and they need to reform. "Health care is broken, OMG! Reform reform reform! Wait what did we just pass? I don't know we passed it before anybody could read it." Or in Arizona "Oh No! Arizona is racially profiling against Mexicans and stopping daddy and child at the ice cream shop! REFORM REFORM REFORM!" Now we have this oil spill disaster, "Oil is evil and unnatural, we need to stop drilling for oil despite our huge dependence on it and start using windfarms instead! REFORM REFORM REFORM!" Every single scenerio I mentioned above started with a lie, and politicians created a false choice of horrible reform ideas to "solve the problem". They also try to do it as fast as possible to pull one over on the general public, when common sense would tell you to generally take a step by step approach to solving a problem instead of a ready, fire, aim, approach.

You have a right to your opinion but I would appreciate some civility and respect for those who disagree with you.
As Americans, we both have rights to our own opinions. But we also have the right to debate our opinions. I am simply pointing out major flaws in your logic.

Maybe the AMA and AOA would combine forces instead to work out other options.

This DNP stuff is distressing. What would be the point of all this freaking hard work? Maybe I am naive to think that obtaining a DNP is not as difficult as MD or DO, but it really doesn't seem that way.
If I can obtain complete autonomy in 8 years with a program that might save me hundreds of thousands of dollars why would I bother with 8 years followed by who knows how many years of residency/fellowship plus enormous debt.

Speaking of debt...Something has got to be done.
Have you guys seen this? It's kind of old but I think it is relevant to the discussion.
"When Michelle Bisutti, a 41-year-old family practitioner in Columbus, Ohio, finished medical school in 2003, her student-loan debt amounted to roughly $250,000. Since then, it has ballooned to $555,000."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...030.html?mod=WSJ_hps_sections_personalfinance

Dang I am a slacker. Back to studying.

I agree with you and I think that the AMA and AOA should combine and I think we as future physicians should stop bickering amongst one another and unite. This is exactly what the Nursing lobby is trying to capitalize on. Getting doctors to organize into a big group is like herding cats and our organizations choose to play doctor version of student council to feel important and pass resolutions. It's time to PROTECT THE PROFESSION and not let our practice rights become eroded by some underqualified nurses with a PhD. I honestly predict a degree unification sometime soon if this type of stuff happens. I wish these old boys would just retire and get out of the way so we can get some young blood in there and improve the situation.

I was pretty surprised that you did not know that the Obama administration actually signed off on the construction of the BP well in the Gulf and that has made many liberals livid. The construction on the well was started in the last year and many oil wells have been built recently. The moratorium on construction went into affect after the accident.

You are free to believe that Schiff is a great source. (especially since your point is that he can be seen on Tv and on Utube). However I find your argument analagous to accepting the word of all those "medical experts" on cable TV selling their latest book. Many of these book hawkers (who often have no medical training and are often washed up actors) sound very convincing and promise all kinds of cures based on their personal experience. And, along the way they make tons of money. But, I would rather look to peer reviewed Medical Journals for evidence, the same goes for economics. I believe in the scientific method. Theories need to be supported by empirical evidence and properly vetted. Shouting louder than someone sitting next to you on a TV show just doen't cut it for me.

And, of course BP is trying to maximize their profits and that's the way capitalism works. But, when the social costs of their actions don't affect their profits then we get the type of mess we have in the Gulf. Why, because they can ignore the social costs. Economists since the 1800s have pointed out the problem with pollution in a market system. Before we had environmental regulation, the rivers in Pittsburgh would catch fire, Lake Erie was almost dead and the Los Angeles Basin was constantly facing a Stage 3 smog alert.

I realize I am not going to change minds on this forum and now that I have had my say, I am done on this thread....

I was pretty surprised that you did not know that the Obama administration actually signed off on the construction of the BP well in the Gulf and that has made many liberals livid. The construction on the well was started in the last year and many oil wells have been built recently. The moratorium on construction went into affect after the accident.

What I had heard was Obama gave them some kind of permit, but what I understood it as was it was already there, which is why Obama got a lot of flack and why the spill wasn't technically W's fault. But that's why I asked specifically since I was unable to find articles saying when the platform was made.

You are free to believe that Schiff is a great source. (especially since your point is that he can be seen on Tv and on Utube). However I find your argument analagous to accepting the word of all those "medical experts" on cable TV selling their latest book. Many of these book hawkers (who often have no medical training and are often washed up actors) sound very convincing and promise all kinds of cures based on their personal experience. And, along the way they make tons of money. But, I would rather look to peer reviewed Medical Journals for evidence, the same goes for economics. I believe in the scientific method. Theories need to be supported by empirical evidence and properly vetted. Shouting louder than someone sitting next to you on a TV show just doen't cut it for me.

Mentioning Peter Schiff's TV appearances wasn't the selling point of his credibility though. Anybody with enough face time on TV can sell a book; the fact that Euro Pacific Capital has roughly $2 billion dollars in accounts is separate from his book profits. Trying to blend the two while comparing him to some late night infomercial host is an inaccurate way to discredit his accomplishments.

And, of course BP is trying to maximize their profits and that's the way capitalism works. But, when the social costs of their actions don't affect their profits then we get the type of mess we have in the Gulf. Why, because they can ignore the social costs. Economists since the 1800s have pointed out the problem with pollution in a market system. Before we had environmental regulation, the rivers in Pittsburgh would catch fire, Lake Erie was almost dead and the Los Angeles Basin was constantly facing a Stage 3 smog alert.

Don't confuse real regulation that is concerned with public health and safety vs. fake regulation that is framed as the prior but in fact has a hidden agenda. Environmental laws against blatant pollution are valid concerns. However here's an example of some hidden-agenda regulation:

In the Dodd financial reform bill, it forced as many as 27 new regulations on banks, that community banks in smaller towns had to follow even though they weren't the villains in the financial collapse. As a result of these regulations, many community banks would have gone out of business trying to keep up, while the big banks would have adapted much easier. The small banks would have died out and the big banks would remain. In the end, you'd end up killing market competition while helping out big business.