2 W's.....Any suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read around the threads about dropping a course but was wondering some specific advice toward my situation.......here is goes......

Withdrew from Orgo 1 last semester, 1st and only W.....Retaking it but test averages have been unusually high, looks like their will not be a curve....

test 1: 66 (class av 75) all test out of 100
test 2: 56 (av 59)
test 3: 54 (av 75-not sure how that happened)

Final out of 200/ grade to be determined.

This are the options I've been considering- ranked from highest to lowest.
1) Take another W, and retake an accelerated course of organic/biochem 1 and try to prove my worth.
2) Take the W and retake the same orgo 1
3) Suck it up, get a C, bring down my GPA.

-I got a C in calc 1, took calc 2 and got a B+.
overall GPA is like a 3.6, BCMP is like a 3.4 (need to bring it up but another the C definitely wont help)
-Currently a junior: B (A), A(A), A(A), B(A), B+ (B+) in chem 1, chem2, bio 1, bio 2, physics 1 respectively....(parenthesis are the labs associated with the course)...plus the W in orgo first time around.

Currently taking an evolutionary biology class expecting to get an A or B+ at worst.
Also doing an individual research through the zoo/bio dept. Received an A 3X respectively. (not sure if these count in future BCPM calculations, or even if med schools place emphasize these courses when evaluating a transcript)

So there it is, I'm trying to make the best decision to alleviate any red flags, especially with either 2 W's or a C in after a W the first time around (in which I think will look worse)

Obviously if I retake orgo after 2 W's and do poorly my med school chances are shot, but my chances are still probably better to retake a 3rd time and do better instead of receiving a C the second time around. Risky but probably a better choice.

2 W's might insinuate to ADCOMS that I was trying to save my GPA, but in the end I think that is better than having a W and a C to follow. 2 W's will probably be easier to explain than a W+C. And at least my GPA will not plummet further.

Drop ends tomorrow, any thoughts/ opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Whats with all the W threads. After you withdraw there is nothing you can do about it so there is no need to worry. Just come up with a good explanation for why you withdrew and forget about it.

I have not Withdrew the 2nd time.....hence why I am asking for opinions

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, well if you are deciding bw an F and a W, take the W. A C and a W, probably the C

I wouldn't drop if I were you 2 w's in the same class are a major red class.

Just go to like every office hour and maybe get a tutor. Put in your everything to a get an A on the final and maybe you'll end up with a B? If you try hard then your prof will see and take that into account.

Just remember that most medical schools will not accept grades lower than a C in prerequisite coursework. Therefore, I would think long and hard whether or not you stand a chance of earning a C in the course because if you don't think it is feasible, then take the W

usually, i recommend taking the C. But in your case, you are borderline with your GPA and borderline in this class. With your scores, you are running the risk of a C- which is not passing with some medical schools. Perhaps the risk is not worth it and you should withdraw.

the more important question is why are you not doing well in the class in the first place.