2 year AEGD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vennai

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals

I am applying for 2 year AEGD programs to Rochester, Nova etc ( some where around 3-4 ) I am dentist from India and would like to know how chances are getting into AEGD. My dental school GPA is 3.8 + and my combined score in Part I and II is 84%. Any help in this would be certainly appreciated.

Vennai

Members don't see this ad.

just a quick note
i think it is easy to get into an aegd prog as soon as possible since baylor in texas has changed their rules as to no international students
get ina s fast as u can
also i just want to know what u plan to do after the aegd since aegd does not qualify u for licence
i am sure about texas but plz be sure before u join
and if i am wrong plz correct me
when u go for the interview be sure about the latest materials used here prof here are paticular about that
all the best

I believe that once you do AEGD you will be allowed to take up licensure exams in some states. I am not sure how it works. Someone told me that if I do AEGD program in one school I will be allowed to take up Regional Boards at that state and few adjacent states followed by licensure.

Any body who knows how AEGD works and what makes it is lucrative please do reply. Do they ask clinical experience for AEGD.

Thanks

Vennai

Members don't see this ad :)
hi vennai,
well did u get an admission into aegd program already?well i heard in nova they prefer only florida residents.....so chances for outsiders are very few....well i think u need 2 years work experience before u get into practice....but aegd is only for an year.....and i guess its not easy to get into school for aegd..anyways let me know more details if u know anything other than what i know.........

Hi Anajaali

I havent got into AEGD but I am thinking how useful it will be.

I am not only referring to Nova there are other dental schools like Rochester which accepts foreign dentists

What I am asking is if I get into AEGD what will be the advantage? Will it qualify me to take up regional board exams

Does selection criteria for AEGD based on clinical experience in US or just Part 1 and 2 NBDE scores

Let me know

Vennai

hi
i think aegd does not allow u to take the licence exam since they specify that the degree ahs to be 2 yrs in a clinical field and aegd was not in the list that i referred to
infact i called up baylor who have a one yr prog
that def does not qualify me
they need a clinical speciality to allow licencure
plz call up the 188 no to ada and find out for yourself if 2yr prog is qualifying
the list does include dental public health though if it helps
do mph and then residency in dental public health and with it do the aegd prog
covers all yoru bases
u qualify qith 2 yr prog with public health
and u get accquainted with the clinical practise thru aegd
i think that is tedious i agree but it is fool proof
i was going for this too
so just wanted to tell u
hope this helps

also teh selection is based on gre and toefl with your application
part 1 gives u another basis they judge u but in texas atleast it is based on your gre and interview

It means that one should not depend on AEGD if they want to get into dental practice.

But how about this option doing AEGD and clearing California boards. Will that help or is that a good option?

Does AEGD selection committee consider volunteer work by International dentist in private or non profit organization?

It also means with AEGD one can earn some money around $2000 per month but its not going to be useful if the state dental boards dont allow to take up regional exams right?

Correct me if I am wrong

hey dentistforyou,

as you would have probably gathered from my previous posts,I am a resident of texas too,but a dentist from India.Could you please clarify the procedure you have mentioned about the MPH/DPH followed by the AEGD program and finally the practice side of things.How long would the entire process take....and how easy would it be to follow this path and practice in tx?Your help will be highly appreciated.

u know what I am still trying to get in touch with the people in austin to tell me if mph and dental public health gives me a licence
i get vague replies some say yes some say no
i am waiting for a definite reply
call up the austin office and maybe u have a better ans
i am still working on it
and for mph i have just applied so do not know if i get thru that too or not
all the bst to u

hey dentistforu,

thanx for you post.Yeah I know colleges give a different reply each time you approach them.I too have applied to MPH courses,one more college to go.Which college have u applied to?I wanted to know,If you have any info on the internet based/distant learning MPH at Texas A&M school of rural public health,College Station.Their website does not have much and time is running out interms of the deadline.Please let me know.I can't sit around doing nothing for another year,I'll either go nutz or drive my hubby up the wall! :laugh:

Folks,
I tried calling ppl at austin various times and the number listed on website has no option to talk to anybody.I am always on the automated system.Like you all know replies vary all the time.If anyone has the number where I can talk to somebody do let me know.My next option is go to the austin office .That is one helluva job.Talk about sitting idle,forget driving your hubby up the wall dear,think arent' you already there.But then one more thing AEGD is not recognised ,period .I have a friend who tried that route an failed .So,your options seem to be good.MPH may not be challenge but DPH residency definitely is.I spoke to the director of DPH services.Turned out to be a very nice Indian.Ofcourse ,he wouldnt divulge more than any info on the web.But ,it seems liek he was kinda shocked when I expressed interest.The flip side is like in texas always the first question was ,Are you a resident of the state?I did know this was coming so I just lied to get more info.It dint help me much though.Seems like he was trying to redirect me to do something else.There are reasons I can think for this.First maybe he is just nice to let me know its a round about route to get a job and second maybe he doesnt want more ppl getting in to this.I couldnt figure out which might have been the choice.Apparently ,DPH takes only 1 or 2 residents(from whole state) and the consider variety of things.At the end of the day ,I am sure if you have some influence it works coz thats how some ppl made it or a lot .He was clear about the fact that if I dont have license to practise dentistry even after DPH the pay scales would not be more than dental hyegienist(and that is if i get a job).
It is worth a shot than sitting idle.Other specialties,I dont think I have to enlighten any one of you as you know the story better than me.

E-mail/call Rochester and double check. I am a graduate of a US Dental School in New York, but when I was taking my NERB exam in May, two of the dentists sitting next to me were foreign dentists completing the 2 year AEGD program at Rochester. They did not do an IDP program prior to coming to Rochester. Obviously they were allowed to take the NERB in New York state at the end of that program, why else would they have been there?

griffin04 said:
E-mail/call Rochester and double check. I am a graduate of a US Dental School in New York, but when I was taking my NERB exam in May, two of the dentists sitting next to me were foreign dentists completing the 2 year AEGD program at Rochester. They did not do an IDP program prior to coming to Rochester. Obviously they were allowed to take the NERB in New York state at the end of that program, why else would they have been there?
I meant for the state of Texas.I did hear about the New york too.Do not know much about it though.