$20 for Refraction, Optional $10 Dilated Health Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
could this be the future in an optician-refraction world?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why the hell would a refraction cost more than the actual eye exam? Ugh.

Good question. But I think the notion is that people (who would shop at a low-budget chain) are paying for a refraction only as a means to get glasses i.e. it is a hoop they have to go through, and they have no choice about it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL!

Dunno. The same guy told me he practiced in BC as an optician, where they've been doing Eyelogic for several years now.

He says the optometric environment hasn't changed at all. ODs still charge (like) 90 for an exam, despite the presence of the Eyelogic stuff. So who knows what impact it would really have.

This actually concerns me a lot, and is yet another reason I'm leaning towards not going back to Ontario to practice. Most people just want a prescription for glasses and be on they're way and don't care about the health check. Unless you're going blind, most people don't bother going to the eye doctor.

That's pretty much the same in the states, too. I'd say 25% of my daily exams chief complaint is "I'm here cuz I broke my glasses".

Can someone shed light on how this would affect Alberta's Optometries?

I've spoken to a few practicing O.Ds regarding this and they seem to think that this will not affect them whatsoever,

Thanks,

I think it's so ironic that many people value their sight above all their senses, yet treat their eye health like it's a side thing and feel that it's only necessary to see the eye doctor when their vision is affected. And now I'm hearing about these fees for eye exams??? You've got to be kidding me.

Can someone shed light on how this would affect Alberta's Optometries?

I've spoken to a few practicing O.Ds regarding this and they seem to think that this will not affect them whatsoever,

Thanks,

Read post #5.

That's pretty much the same in the states, too. I'd say 25% of my daily exams chief complaint is "I'm here cuz I broke my glasses".

Those exams are also where I find 95% of my pathology. Only 25%? That complaint probably brings in 75% of my daily exams. What is bringing in the other 75% of your patients?

The OP is the best reason I can think of to make sure that all ODs remain independent within those commercial settings and retain control of their practices as well as keeping opticians from misleading the public by allowing them to refract.

Those exams are also where I find 95% of my pathology. Only 25%? That complaint probably brings in 75% of my daily exams. What is bringing in the other 75% of your patients?

The OP is the best reason I can think of to make sure that all ODs remain independent within those commercial settings and retain control of their practices as well as keeping opticians from misleading the public by allowing them to refract.

Well, look who came out of the trenches to post on SDN! Taking a break from ODwire?

That sounds extremely high. What methods are you using to recall your patients?