2005 Official EM Match Stats (Quinn-Please add this to FAQ)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The 2005 NRMP Match in Emergency Medicine
Louis Binder, MD, Cleveland, Ohio
MetroHealth Medical Center/Cleveland Clinic/Case Medical School EM Residency

The results of the 2005 NRMP Match became final on March 17, 2005. Emergency Medicine residency programs offered a total of 1332 entry level positions (5.5% of total positions in all specialties). The following numbers (taken from the 2005 NRMP Data Book) include information from all programs that entered the 2005 Match:

2003 2004 2005
Total # of NRMP positions 23,365 23,704 24,012
Overall % of positions unfilled 9% 8% 7.5%
Number of EM programs listed 125 129 132
(112 PG1, 13 PG2) (116 PG1, 13 PG2) (119 PG1, 13 PG2)
Total PG1/PG2 entry positions 1251 1295 1332
(1114 PG1, 137 PG2) (1151 PG1, 144 PG2) (1188 PG1, 144 PG2)
EM positions/total NRMP positions 5.4% 5.5% 5.5%
# EM programs with PG1 vacancies 17/112 (15%) 7/116 (6%) 6/119 (5%)
# unmatched EM PG1 positions 41/1114 (3.7%) 22/1151 (2%) 23/1188 (2%)
# EM programs with PG2 vacancies 4/13 (31%) 1/13 (8%) 1/13 (8%)
# unmatched EM PG2 positions 7/137 (5%) 2/144 (2%) 1/144 (0.7%)
Total # EM programs with vacancies 21/125 (17%) 8/129 (6%) 7/132 (5%)
Total # unmatched EM positions 48/1251 (3.8%) 24/1295 (2%) 24/1332 (2%)

Applicant Pool Data

Applicants who ranked only EM programs:

` 2003 2004 2005
US graduates 856 1014 1056
Independent applicants 300 360 324
Total applicants 1156 1374 1380

Applicants who ranked at least one EM program:

US graduates 1062 1146 1207
Independent applicants 433 360 481
Total applicants 1495 1506 1688

US seniors applying only to EM
Programs who went unmatched 36/856 (4.2%) 71/1014 (7.0%) 65/1056 (6.2%)

Independent applicants applying 114/300 (38%) 140/360 (39%) 117/334 (35%)
only to EM programs who went
unmatched

Percent of matched US seniors 856/12,037 (7.1%) 1014/13,572 (7.5%) 991/11,796 (8.4%)
who matched in EM residencies

Breakdown of filled EM positions by type of applicant:

2003 2004 2005

PG1 EM positions 1114 1151 1188
Filled by US graduates 859 (77%) 892 (77%) 950 (80%)
Filled by independent applicants 214 (19%) 237 (21%) 214 (18%)
Total filled 1073 (96%) 1129 (98%) 1164 (98%)
PG2 EM positions 137 144 144
Filled by US graduates 97 (71%) 119 (83%) 120 (83%)
Filled by independent applicants 33 (24%) 23 (16%) 24 (17%)
Total filled 130 (95%) 142 (99%) 144 (100%)
Total EM positions 1251 1295 1332
Filled by US graduates 956 (76%) 1011 (78%) 1070 (80%)
Filled by independent applicants 247 (20%) 260 (20%) 238 (18%)
Total filled 1203 (96%) 1271 (98%) 1308 (98%)

** For PG1 filled entry positions (1308), 1070 were filled by US seniors, 89 were filled by US physicians, 94 by osteopathic physicians, 44 by US international medical graduates, 6 by international medical graduates, 2 by Canadian physicians, and 3 by Fifth Pathway graduates.

From these data, several conclusions can be drawn:

1. Emergency Medicine experienced an increase of 37 entry level positions in the 2005 Match over 2004 Match numbers (a 2.9% increase), occurring from a combination of quota increases occurring in EM 1-3 and 1-4 programs, and three new programs in the EM match. Emergency Medicine now comprises 5.5 percent of the total NRMP positions and 8.4% of matched US seniors (both all time highs).

2. The overall demand for EM entry level positions increased substantially, from 52 additional US graduates ranking only EM programs to 113 more US graduates and 182 more total applicants ranking at least 1 EM program in 2005, after similar levels of growth of the applicant pool in 2004. The majority of this increase came from US seniors who ranked EM programs. This growth in demand for EM positions far exceeded the increase in supply of positions. The excess applicant demand over and above the size of the training base is 48 to 356 applicants (4% to 27% surplus), depending on how the parameters of the applicant pool are determined.

3. The proportions of EM positions filled by US seniors versus Independent Applicants (US graduates, Osteopaths, and International Medical Graduates) increased in 2005 compared with 2004. In 2005, 87% of EM entry positions were filled with US graduates, compared with 85% in 2004.

4. An increase of 37 in the supply of EM entry level positions in 2005, coupled with an increase in demand by 52 to 182 applicants and a higher proportion of EM positions filled by US seniors and US graduates, resulted in an equivalent fill rate for EM programs in 2005 (98%). The cumulative effect of these three trends was also manifested by an equivalent number of unfilled EM positions in the Match (24 in 2005, same as in 2004).

5. As a counterintuitive effect of these cumulative trends, the unmatched rate for US seniors going into EM dropped this year, from 7.0% in 2004 to 6.2% in 2005, despite the increase in demand over supply. This likely reflects the impact of a higher fill rate of positions by US seniors and US graduates. The unmatched rate of 6.2% for US seniors, and 39% for Independent Applicants going into EM, continue to support the notion that most US seniors and Independent Applicants who apply will match into an EM residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Ca you reformat the post so that it doesn't require horizontal scrolling? I think that long line of dashes is doing it.

Hmmm...I didn't have that problem, but I deleted the dashes, I hope that helps. Its not super readable but the data is all there and if you look carefully you can figure it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, heres what I inferred by these stats:

1. For me, as a future DO, with a very average class rank, things are not looking too bright for landing an allopathic EM residency if current trends continue

2. The field seems to be getting more and more competitive

3. US MD seniors are pretty much assured a spot

Now, my question is whether those of us in the osteopathic world will start to see an increase in competition for the old standby, the DO EM residency. It seems that in my class, EM is wildly popular, and I'm honestly starting to think that the field is going to be saturated by the time I graduate. Who knows. I just feel a little ill-at-ease because I honestly can't see myself enjoying any other specialty than EM

Ponte-Claret said:

1. For me, as a future DO, with a very average class rank, things are not looking too bright for landing an allopathic EM residency if current trends continue

2. The field seems to be getting more and more competitive

3. US MD seniors are pretty much assured a spot

Now, my question is whether those of us in the osteopathic world will start to see an increase in competition for the old standby, the DO EM residency. It seems that in my class, EM is wildly popular, and I'm honestly starting to think that the field is going to be saturated by the time I graduate. Who knows. I just feel a little ill-at-ease because I honestly can't see myself enjoying any other specialty than EM
Don't worry about it. As long as you get good LORs and can have a good conversation during interviews (i.e. dont' come across as an a$$), you will match somewhere. It might not be your #1 choice or a place that has never accepted a DO in the past, but the odds are in your favor of matching.

There are a few good DO EM programs, and a few horrible DO EM programs. They will always be less competitive simply because the applicant pool isn't that large.

Q

What does "independent applicant" mean?

Is it an IMG, someone trained in another specialty but looking to switch into EM, or military officers who did internships and then stints as flight surgeons or battalion surgeons before finishing residency, or all of the above? If so, do the collective stats apply to all groups?

Trajan said:

Is it an IMG, someone trained in another specialty but looking to switch into EM, or military officers who did internships and then stints as flight surgeons or battalion surgeons before finishing residency, or all of the above? If so, do the collective stats apply to all groups?
Its atleast osteopathic, IMG, and FMG. Not sure if it includes people with previous training or military.

Q

Trajan said:

Applicants who are not seniors in a U.S. LCME-accredited allopathic medical school may participate in the NRMP Match as independent applicants if they meet certain criteria.

Six types of independent applicants may participate in the NRMP Main Match:

Previous graduate of a U.S. medical school (someone who graduated earlier than September 1 in the year before the match)

Student/graduate of an osteopathic medical school

Student/graduate of a Canadian medical school

Student/graduate of a Fifth Pathway program

U.S. citizen student/graduate of an international medical school

Non-U.S. citizen student/graduate of an international medical school.

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/special_part/ind_app/

QuinnNSU said:
Don't worry about it. As long as you get good LORs and can have a good conversation during interviews (i.e. dont' come across as an a$$), you will match somewhere. It might not be your #1 choice or a place that has never accepted a DO in the past, but the odds are in your favor of matching.

There are a few good DO EM programs, and a few horrible DO EM programs. They will always be less competitive simply because the applicant pool isn't that large.

Q

Quinn,

What do you think of the program at Mount Sinai? I've heard good things, but you're our NSU Alum Guru for all things emergency medicine :D

iliacus said:
Quinn,

What do you think of the program at Mount Sinai? I've heard good things, but you're our NSU Alum Guru for all things emergency medicine :D

I'm sure Quinn will catch you up on this one, but I recall this program being in the spotlight not too long ago. Search under DO/EM programs- Steve Paredes (the current NSUCOM EMS president) and I recently clarified some of the myths circulating around the Mt. Sinai EM program's future.

The basics:
-Mount Sinai's EM program is a PGY 2,3,4 program with a fast track internship opportunity through Palmetto General.
-Dr. Art Diskin, MD, is the EM chair at Mount Sinai (don't use the "Mt." abbreviation cause one of the assoc res dir's doesn't like it) and is the current president of FCEP. He's a long time EM advocate that runs a physician group.
-Dave Lang, DO, FACOEP, FACEP, is the assoc director and is also on the Florida College of Emergency Physician's Board of Directors. I believe one of their current residents is as well.
-The residents used to rotate at Hialeah and Parkway (both high volume urban EDs) but that opportunity is no longer available due to contractual re-negotiations. The program has arranged for its residents to rotate through Jackson Memorial Hospital's Emergency Care Center. This solution has been the subject of some controversy.
-One of the program's alum's has filled the void of the program director until Dr. Lisa Dewitt is back from service in Iraq.
-Pediatric emergency medicine rotations take place at Miami Children's Hospital. Residents interact with PEM fellows there.
-The trauma rotation is quite popular in takes place at the Ryder Trauma Center at JMH. The residents have three months of trauma in the PGY 2,3,4 years.

Again, do a search on DO/EM programs. There's much more discussion pertinent to the Mount Sinai program there. Good luck,

PuSh

Apollyon said:
Applicants who are not seniors in a U.S. LCME-accredited allopathic medical school may participate in the NRMP Match as independent applicants if they meet certain criteria.

Six types of independent applicants may participate in the NRMP Main Match:

Previous graduate of a U.S. medical school (someone who graduated earlier than September 1 in the year before the match)

Student/graduate of an osteopathic medical school

Student/graduate of a Canadian medical school

Student/graduate of a Fifth Pathway program

U.S. citizen student/graduate of an international medical school

Non-U.S. citizen student/graduate of an international medical school.

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/special_part/ind_app/

Are all "independent applicants" at a disadvantage as the statistics for the group show? I ask because I am planning to apply to EM after a transitional year and a couple years of service in the Navy Medical Corps and have heard that this is a plus for EM, though these match results seem to show the opposite.

Thanks,
Trajan

Ponte-Claret said:

From my experience with my class, we started with a lot more people who had strong interest in EM then we finished with. A lot of people get into rotations and find that they have another interest, don't like EM the way they thought they would, or for a variety of other reasons choose a non EM program.