2006 NC Med Schools Acceptance/Rejection Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Heel Yeah Dave! That's awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

congrats, Dave! That's really great. Maybe there will be lots of movement this year. :luck:

Congrats Gmaddy and Dave!

sweetdoc

Members don't see this ad :)
Dave_med said:
I AM IN AT UNC!!!!!!!!! Got the call yesterday and I still can't believe it!!!!!!!!

a hearty congratulations!
i hope you celebrated properly.

BUMP for Possible ECU Decisions Today!

no ecu letter today!
maybe tomorrow!?!
I heard of some people being rejected a week and half ago, and two others who have withdrawn from ECU and their spots have opened.
good luck

Dave_med said:
I AM IN AT UNC!!!!!!!!! Got the call yesterday and I still can't believe it!!!!!!!! Folks, the waitlist IS moving...at least in-state. DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE!

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear from ECU. I will be dropping my spot there as soon as I get the UNC paperwork in hand. And just for the record, I would have been very happy attending there too.

Given that UNC overaccepts by about 20 people, I didn't expect waitlist movement until later in the summer. Hopefully, this is good news for everyone still keeping the faith. Good luck to you all.

I am still in shock and so happy!!!!!!
Dave

Dave congrats! See you in the fall!

ECU decisions are definitely arriving today, right? right??...

Hey Dave!! I haven't been pretty much absent from SDN lately. I am sincerely glad to hear your good news! You definitely deserve it!

Congratulations! And best wishes as always.

S.

QUOTE=Dave_med]I AM IN AT UNC!!!!!!!!! Got the call yesterday and I still can't believe it!!!!!!!! Folks, the waitlist IS moving...at least in-state. DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE!

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear from ECU. I will be dropping my spot there as soon as I get the UNC paperwork in hand. And just for the record, I would have been very happy attending there too.

Given that UNC overaccepts by about 20 people, I didn't expect waitlist movement until later in the summer. Hopefully, this is good news for everyone still keeping the faith. Good luck to you all.

I am still in shock and so happy!!!!!!
Dave[/QUOTE]

Still no ECU letter today, I guess Sat? The adcom has left for the day too, anyone else hear from ECU?
thanks

buffaloox said:
Still no ECU letter today, I guess Sat? The adcom has left for the day too, anyone else hear from ECU?
thanks

Hey guys,

I got accepted to ECU today in Winston-Salem. I will be calling them on Monday to withdraw (really my bad for not withdrawing earlier--i just thought they lost my app, knew i was going to carolina or something). Anyway good luck, and I'm sorry for temporarily taking someones spot.

^Thank you, golftrippy. Congratulations to you!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and to those still waiting, don't lose hope. Can someone who has received the pre-orrientation e-mail from UNC please post the web address that it links you to? I accidently deleted my e-mail and I have been calling for the past week and they still haven't sent it to me. I'm assuming they're just very busy! So can someone please help me out. Also, I heard they will be sending the roommate request list out soon ... I'm looking for a female student -- I already have a place about 3 miles from the Friday Center and about 6 miles from the medical center. So if anyone is interested please e-mail me: [email protected].

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an acceptance letter from ECU today, It was my first choice(Im pretty serious about family medicine in eastern NC) so I'm floating right now. Congrats to all who have got in and good luck to those still waiting. Hope yall get those letters tomorrow.

obxdr said:
I got an acceptance letter from ECU today, It was my first choice(Im pretty serious about family medicine in eastern NC) so I'm floating right now. Congrats to all who have got in and good luck to those still waiting. Hope yall get those letters tomorrow.

Congrats! I can understand your elation, I'm pretty serious about family medicine too (anywhere in NC would be great!) so I bet that's a great feeling.

:luck: to everyone still waiting.

So, maybe I'll receive something from ECU tomorrow? Early next week?

obxdr and dave_med, congratulations!

Hey you all, I have to say that I am going slightly bonkers with the weekend looming and still waiting for a phone call! I figured I should finally post since I have been one of those unofficial users of the forum's information. Maybe I'll get to post on the miracle thread someday... Thanks to all you who keep it positive :)

Bump for the 20th! Any ECU news on this beautiful Saturday?

I think I'm giving up on Wake...am I pessimistic or are there others?

Avalanche21 said:

No no no. No giving up on Wake allowed, because I'm still holding on!! I bet there's lots of movement this week! Have you called to find out where you are on the waitlist? If you call and ask to speak with Irene Tise, she will tell you approximately where you are on the waitlist. Good luck!

Avalanche21 said:

Not giving up, but definitely discouraged.

Sorry about the WL buffaloox. Packamylase, I am still waiting, just like you. I hope we get some good news today!

has anyone called UNC to see where they are on the waitlist/whether they actually did go ahead and rank it?

jwnduke said:
Sorry about the WL buffaloox. Packamylase, I am still waiting, just like you. I hope we get some good news today!

Let us know when you receive word... Good Luck! :luck:

I received no word today on 5/22/06. Maybe tomorrow...

Has anyone heard of any recent Wake Forest waitlist movement? I haven't heard of any acceptances since about 2 weeks ago, and I had figured there would have been lots last week and this week.

Packamylase said:
Let us know when you receive word... Good Luck! :luck:

No Greenville in my future! GL Packamylase!

jwnduke said:
No Greenville in my future! GL Packamylase!

Sorry, jwnduke. Any luck elsewhere? I should receive the decision this evening, I assume.

It's a miracle!!! I just got off the wake waitlist! :wow:

Great news! Congrats, you'll be going to a terrific institution!

Avalanche, that is great news!

Packamylase, no luck elsewhere, still holding out hope for two more schools. I am going to keep my fingers crossed for you to get good news tonight.

Avalanche21 said:
It's a miracle!!! I just got off the wake waitlist! :wow:

I guess that answers my question - congrats! :D

Congratulations Avalanche - and congratulations too you to Dr. Giggles on OSU. I guess miracles really do happen :)

Here's hoping for some more :luck:

Packamylase, Did you hear anything from ECU?

Thanks everyone, I wish you guys (those still waiting) the best of luck. Waiting is not so fun.

Well, at least I don't have to wait any longer for ECU. :thumbdown:

buffaloox said:
Packamylase, Did you hear anything from ECU?

Yes I did.

I was rejected.

I'm going to give Dr. Peden a call this week and see if I can't set up a telephone interview with him.

Best of Luck to everyone else!

I'm off the Pre-Allopathic Board forever!

Sorry guys. I have an especially hard time trying to figure out what ECU finds attractive in an applicant. Quite a few people I know with a near-flawless application end up with rejections. Hopefully your phone call will shed some light on their evaluation.

Dr. Giggles said:
Sorry guys. I have an especially hard time trying to figure out what ECU finds attractive in an applicant. Quite a few people I know with a near-flawless application end up with rejections. Hopefully your phone call will shed some light on their evaluation.

Thanks everyone. It clearly wasn't my numbers (they're not superior, but above the ECU average) that kept me from ECU Med. There are a lot of politics involved at ECU, and I may have not said the right things.

I am looking forward to meeting with Dr. Peden. I'm hoping he may shed some light on my application.

Packamylase said:
There are a lot of politics involved at ECU, and I may have not said the right things.

That's exactly how I feel.

Sorry to hear the bad news, guys. :(

I was sitting in a meeting this morning during the summer MED program at UNC, and someone actually asked a question and put SDN as a reference. It really embarassed me because I feel like we all try to let everybody know that we're just making generalizations about what we hear about med schools, but what this person said was "Is it true that if you are in-state and you interview at UNC you have a 66% chance of getting accepted?"

Randee Alston was answering the question and she looked surprised. I could just see her opinion of SDN falling right then and there.

I mean, if you look at the MSAR you can see that 4 or 5 hundred applicants are interviewed and x number are accepted (I don't have it right in front of me) and so obviously you don't have that good of a chance of being accepted. There are only 160 spots total, and usually 140 of those go to in-staters.

Anyway, I just wanted to clear that up and say that I don't think anyone on this year's NC thread or last year's ever mentioned that information. :D

Incidentally, someone else asked about the waitlist. Ms. Alston said they don't tell anyone how many people are on the waitlist or which tier they're in, and that ultimately it's up to Dr. Hoole who gets in each time a spot opens up (sometimes regardless of ranking).

I'm trying to keep up with y'all's progress and news but I still haven't gotten internet access in my room (forgot my ethernet cord!) so I'm posing from the health sciences library.

Anyone still interested in a meetup?

Well I hadn't checked this thread in a long long time but today I peeked. My comments.

For:
Dave Med - CONGRATS. YOu are going to be a TAR HEEL, getting of the WL early and not having it be a prolonged torture is a great feeling. Good luck buddy.

JWNDUKE - Hopefully SUNY downstate works out for you or your other WL's. If not reapply again next yr. Reapplication is a finacial, mental, and emotional drain but worth it in the end if its what you really want!

DEG, formerly know as Shahbab - I talk to you alot by PM so I know how you are doing. YOu will make an excellent doctor I have no doubts and if it doesnt work out this yr hopefully it will next yr. Talk to Hoole at UNC about ur app to see what you can do to up your chances there.

Registered User - It will be a shame if you dont get into Pitt, UNC or Wake off the WL. At least you will be a doctor either way but still I am hoping one of those works out for you.

DR. Giggles - CONGRATS..Your genius not to mention niceness finally pays off. Good luck at OSU!

As for myself. I actually wound up getting into my number one choice of Cinci and couldnt be happier. I feel a little vindicated as I would have gone there over UNC anyway. Its an amazing school just like UNC (except the admissions office at UNC in my opinion is one of the worst out there) but fits my personality better. Anyway good luck to everyone! :luck:

ms. alston was *not* happy to hear from me this afternoon. ah well. she said that the UNC waitlist is only ranked in a relative sense and that the dean makes the ultimate decision as to who gets off (no surprise there). the medical school application process is painful. in relative terms, i mean.

BOBODR said:
Well I hadn't checked this thread in a long long time but today I peeked. My comments.

For:
Dave Med - CONGRATS. YOu are going to be a TAR HEEL, getting of the WL early and not having it be a prolonged torture is a great feeling. Good luck buddy.

JWNDUKE - Hopefully SUNY downstate works out for you or your other WL's. If not reapply again next yr. Reapplication is a finacial, mental, and emotional drain but worth it in the end if its what you really want!

DEG, formerly know as Shahbab - I talk to you alot by PM so I know how you are doing. YOu will make an excellent doctor I have no doubts and if it doesnt work out this yr hopefully it will next yr. Talk to Hoole at UNC about ur app to see what you can do to up your chances there.

Registered User - It will be a shame if you dont get into Pitt, UNC or Wake off the WL. At least you will be a doctor either way but still I am hoping one of those works out for you.

DR. Giggles - CONGRATS..Your genius not to mention niceness finally pays off. Good luck at OSU!

As for myself. I actually wound up getting into my number one choice of Cinci and couldnt be happier. I feel a little vindicated as I would have gone there over UNC anyway. Its an amazing school just like UNC (except the admissions office at UNC in my opinion is one of the worst out there) but fits my personality better. Anyway good luck to everyone! :luck:

Congrats to you! Good things happen to those who wait, and all that jazz. Hopefully Dr. Hoole likes singing telegrams.

BOBODR said:

And you don't have any other news to share with us? :)

Welcome back to this thread.

S.

2DEG said:
And you don't have any other news to share with us? :)

Welcome back to this thread.

S.

DEG caught me.... and oh yeah... I just got engaged :)
As DEG put it that "poor girl" ;)

As for RU ...I am sure Hoole loves singing telegrams! :D Who doesnt??!

Status
Not open for further replies.