2007-2008 Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My school doesn't scan our transcripts until mid-October because, according to them, programs want "as much of our fourth year grades as they can get." They'll scan it early if we request it, but scan it only once... My grades are fine, wondering if I should just go ahead and request it - pretty sure most programs aren't going to give me an invite until they get that.

Thoughts?

BH

Hey docbiohazard i asked to have my transcript released from our school and next day 2 interview offers arrived. Coincidence???
UNM, UPenn, and Methodist

Members don't see this ad.

Hey docbiohazard i asked to have my transcript released from our school and next day 2 interview offers arrived. Coincidence???
UNM, UPenn, and Methodist

Well, coincidence for Methodist... :) I might go ahead and request mine, no reason to wait.

BH

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a Methodist invite, and I'm still waiting on 1 LOR, transcripts, Dean's letter, and a photo. So I don't think you need to hurry on the transcripts.

Yeah, sounds like the 3 of us with Methodist invites don't have transcripts in yet. I just don't expect mine to change between now and then, unless programs really really care how my community Dermatology elective went. I can't imagine they do.

My biggest problem is probably my lacking 2 LORs. One should go in tomorrow at the latest or I have to go knocking. :)

BH

i got the BID interview offer as well. pathsoccerdude, i like your thinking - has anyone heard anything from MGH (who hasn't even downloaded my app yet) or BWH? i want to cluster also to save $$.

my app is complete except for 1 pathology LoR and my MSPE.

mgh and bwh sent out interview invites around october and september, respectively, last year.

just schedule your boston interviews at the end of november/early december so that you have some breathing room to fit future interviews.

best of luck to you guys.

mgh and bwh sent out interview invites around october and september, respectively, last year.

just schedule your boston interviews at the end of november/early december so that you have some breathing room to fit future interviews.

best of luck to you guys.

thanks for that info, villin. someone told me that BID and BWH are physically very close to each other (walking distance), while MGH is a little further. can anyone familiar with boston confirm this info for those of us not familiar with beantown? thanks.

thanks for that info, villin. someone told me that BID and BWH are physically very close to each other (walking distance), while MGH is a little further. can anyone familiar with boston confirm this info for those of us not familiar with beantown? thanks.

BID and BWH are on the same campus in Brookline. MGH is separate on Beacon Hill, but there are shuttles that run regularly between MGH and BWH. The T (subway) in Boston is also very convenient.

There are several pathology training programs in the City of Boston!

As people prepare their applications they should broaden their horizons and consider other possibilities, such as Boston University. There have been major changes in the department in the past year and a significant increase in resources available to the Department. 6 new faculty have been hired (including myself as chair) and we recently moved into a brand new, state of the art pathology building. In fact, we are preparing an abstract for USCAP on how to design a modern pathology laboratory with emphasis on employee safety and work flow.

For more information about our program, visit our website.

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/Dept/Content.aspx?DepartmentID=63&PageID=577

Dan Remick
Chair, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center

I got another invite yesterday!

Emory. I'm pretty thrilled about this one!

Wow congrats again Tiki. I can't wait till I get one. ;)

Wow congrats again Tiki. I can't wait till I get one. ;)

Thanks! They are coming Sean, don't worry. I foresee next week as a huge week for all of us 08ers. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! They are coming Sean, don't worry. I foresee next week as a huge week for all of us 08ers. :luck:

I think they are supposed to be putting up our transcripts this week and also I am expecting Step 2, hopefully. *fingers crossed for an improvement*

I am on call tonight for inpatient Family med, hence the diligent amount of posting.

which methodist? from Texas?

Yes, Methodist in Houston... not sure if there is another Methodist with a Pathology program out there or not... It is worth noting that the three of us on here who have recieved invites are all MD/PhDs. That might have something to do with it.

Also - inpatient family med call? Man, you got hosed Sean. :)

BH

i'm going to try and summarize what's been posted, and hopefully we'll all keep it updated as more interviews (hopefully) come out next week like tiki predicted. this way the current residents can introduce themselves as fellow SDN contributors if they so choose, and maybe we can meet some of each other too.

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - ??

Jefferson
??

UNM
mlw - 12/7
others??

Maryland
mlw 10/19

some TX programs (i haven't paid as much attention to these)
???

please use the copy and paste features as you edit and update the above list.

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - 11/2

Emory
Tiki--11/27

Jefferson
Tiki-11/19

UNM
mlw - 12/7
others??

Maryland
mlw 10/19

???

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - 11/2

Emory
Tiki--11/27

Jefferson
Tiki-11/19
vegasdo-11/14

UNM
mlw - 12/7
others??

Maryland
mlw 10/19

???

I gotta agree with this. You really did. :laugh:

Yeah I sure did. I didn't know there was going to be call when I signed up for it. Well at least it's one of my 2 subI's done. The other one is Medicine which is going to suck.

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - 11/2

Emory
Tiki--11/27

Jefferson
Tiki-11/19
vegasdo-11/14

UNM
mlw - 12/7
Theycallme - ?

Maryland
mlw 10/19

UPenn
Theycallme - ?

Methodist
Biohazard - tbd
Theycallme - tbd
gbwillner - tbd

BH-you have to do 3 SUB-i's???! Thats insane...

Thanks everyone for posting their interview stats!

No, that was Sean. I only had to do two, one selective (in Path) and a mandatory surgery sub-I.

BH

That's cool you can do a Path one, we can only do Med, Surg, Psych, Family, Peds, OB. Only two though, not 3.

for you guys who already got interviews!!

Specially you Tiki! Emory and BID are outstanding programs!

All Boston programs are in my list (including Tufts),
I would love :love: staying in Massachusetts for the rest of my life!

I hope I get some interview in Boston...

I added trenchcoat to the main list and alphabetized it. Sorry, my anal retentiveness is coming through. :laugh:

I wanna see lots of names added this week, people!

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - 11/2
Trenchcoat-1/8

Emory
Tiki--11/27

Jefferson
Tiki-11/19
vegasdo-11/14

Maryland
mlw 10/19

Methodist
Biohazard - tbd
Theycallme - tbd
gbwillner - tbd

UNM
mlw - 12/7
Theycallme - ?

UPenn
Theycallme - ?

To the lucky ones that have already started getting interviews-did any of you get an invite before your school's transcript was released?

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - 11/2
Trenchcoat-1/8

Cleveland Clinic
vegasdo-tbd

Emory
Tiki--11/27

Jefferson
Tiki-11/19
vegasdo-11/14

Maryland
mlw 10/19

Methodist
Biohazard - tbd
Theycallme - tbd
gbwillner - tbd

UNM
mlw - 12/7
Theycallme - ?

UPenn
Theycallme - ?

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - 11/2
Trenchcoat-1/8
ataktos - TBD

Cleveland Clinic
vegasdo-tbd
ataktos - TBD

Emory
Tiki--11/27

Jefferson
Tiki-11/19
vegasdo-11/14

Maryland
mlw 10/19

Methodist
Biohazard - tbd
Theycallme - tbd
gbwillner - tbd

UNM
mlw - 12/7
Theycallme - ?

UPenn
Theycallme - ?

To the lucky ones that have already started getting interviews-did any of you get an invite before your school's transcript was released?

Yes... but only one. Going to request they release mine this week I think.

BH

I submitted my ERAS application without having all of my letters of recommendation in, or my grades transcript, or my deans letter...should I have waited? or do programs genuinely understand that not all materials are in and they simply won't consider my application until all the proper materials are in?

I submitted my ERAS application without having all of my letters of recommendation in, or my grades transcript, or my deans letter...should I have waited? or do programs genuinely understand that not all materials are in and they simply won't consider my application until all the proper materials are in?

Not a huge mistake at all. That's what pretty much everyone does in my understanding, as Dean's letters come out in Nov most places it seems, yet many places start interviewing in October, and may in fact invite you to an interview w/o recieving everything.

So don't worry...
BH

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - 11/2
Trenchcoat-1/8
ataktos - TBD

Cleveland Clinic
vegasdo-tbd
ataktos - TBD

Emory
Tiki--11/27

Jefferson
Tiki-11/19
vegasdo-11/14

Maryland
mlw 10/19

Methodist
Biohazard - tbd
Theycallme - tbd
gbwillner - tbd

UNM
mlw - 12/7
Theycallme - ?
Rosenthal - TBD

UPenn
Theycallme - ?

I don't think that's a problem either. I don't have my transcript yet and am waiting for two more LORs. There's a traid-off between applying early and have things complete, I guess.

So, the only thing that they have is you CAF? No offense, but I doubt you would be granted an interview unless you have strong Step 1 scores (and you apply to programs which weigh Step 1 scores heavily). If anything, I would think programs would keep your application in an incomplete pile and review those that are "closer" to completion. There is nothing wrong with applying without what you mentioned, but I don't think there is an advantage to applying early without most of your application close to completion (i will assume you only have your CAF and Step scores submitted).

Those applications that are complete will most likely take priority and second, those applications that are close to completion, but not yet complete, and third, those applications are not close to completion with a component to their completed application which makes them stand out (like strong Step scores or impressive CV).

It's not like you have a place in line by applying early without a completed application. It just means that they may glance at your application a little bit (maybe more depending if there is something impressive in your app) and place it into an incomplete pile.

If you are granted an interview based on your CAF alone and Step 1 scores, I would guess that you rocked or performed well on Step 1, have an impressive CV or you applied to some program that is desperate, because I can't see any program inviting any applicant with an incomplete app.

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - 11/2
Trenchcoat-1/8
ataktos - TBD

Cleveland Clinic
vegasdo-tbd
ataktos - TBD
They Call Me- 12/21

Emory
Tiki--11/27

Jefferson
Tiki-11/19
vegasdo-11/14

Maryland
mlw 10/19

Methodist
Biohazard - tbd
Theycallme - 10/16
gbwillner - tbd

UNM
mlw - 12/7
Theycallme - 10/26
Rosenthal - TBD

UPenn
Theycallme - 11/1

U Utah
Theycallme - TBD

Wow I am getting jealous. Only 1 letter and transcript still pending, come on interviews!

I can't see any program inviting any applicant with an incomplete app.

I think the important thing is that he/she didn't make a huge mistake by submitting without absolutely everything completed. Most all of us are lacking a letter or two, transcript, or the like, and several of us have interviews.

I talked to a couple of people today - one person trying to couples match OB/Gyn with a fiance matching ENT, that had to apply to 70 programs, and another person interested in derm that applied to 90... Man, I don't envy them at all...

BH

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - 11/2
Trenchcoat-1/8
ataktos - TBD

Cleveland Clinic
vegasdo-tbd
ataktos - TBD
They Call Me- 12/21

Emory
Tiki--11/27

Jefferson
Tiki-11/19
vegasdo-11/14

Maryland
mlw 10/19

Methodist
Biohazard - tbd
Theycallme - 10/16
gbwillner - tbd

UNM
mlw - 12/7
Theycallme - 10/26
Rosenthal - TBD

UPenn
Theycallme - 11/1

U Utah
Theycallme - TBD

U TX HSC San Antonio
vr4nut- tbd

Orlando Regional Healthcare System
vr4nut- tbd

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - 11/2
Trenchcoat-1/8
ataktos - TBD

Cleveland Clinic
vegasdo-tbd
ataktos - TBD
They Call Me- 12/21

Emory
Tiki--11/27

George Washington
vegasdo- tbd

Jefferson
Tiki-11/19
vegasdo-11/14

Maryland
mlw 10/19

Methodist
Biohazard - tbd
Theycallme - 10/16
gbwillner - tbd

vr4nut- tbd

UNM
mlw - 12/7
Theycallme - 10/26
Rosenthal - TBD

UPenn
Theycallme - 11/1

U TX HSC San Antonio
vr4nut- tbd

U Utah
Theycallme - TBD

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - 11/2
Trenchcoat-1/8
ataktos - TBD

Cleveland Clinic
vegasdo-tbd
ataktos - TBD
They Call Me- 12/21

Emory
Tiki--11/27

George Washington
vegasdo- tbd

Jefferson
Tiki-11/19
vegasdo-11/14

Maryland
mlw 10/19

Methodist
Biohazard - tbd
Theycallme - 10/16
gbwillner - tbd

vr4nut- tbd

UNM
mlw - 12/7
Theycallme - 10/26
Rosenthal - TBD

UPenn
Theycallme - 11/1

UTN-Memphis
magician-TBD

U TX HSC San Antonio
vr4nut- tbd

U Utah
Theycallme - TBD

I keep forgetting to introduce myself in the 2008 applicants thread! Anyway ...

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - 11/2
Trenchcoat-1/8
ataktos - TBD

Cleveland Clinic
vegasdo-tbd
ataktos - TBD
They Call Me- 12/21

Emory
Tiki--11/27

George Washington
vegasdo- tbd
Rbrav - TBD

Jefferson
Tiki-11/19
vegasdo-11/14

Maryland
mlw 10/19

Methodist
Biohazard - tbd
Theycallme - 10/16
gbwillner - tbd

vr4nut- tbd
Rbrav - 11/28(?)

UNM
mlw - 12/7
Theycallme - 10/26
Rosenthal - TBD

UPenn
Theycallme - 11/1

UTN-Memphis
magician-TBD

U TX HSC San Antonio
vr4nut- tbd

U Utah
Theycallme - TBD

Wash U
King Arthur - TBD

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - 11/2
Trenchcoat-1/8
ataktos - TBD

Cleveland Clinic
vegasdo-tbd
ataktos - TBD
They Call Me- 12/21

Emory
Tiki--11/27

George Washington
vegasdo- tbd
Rbrav - TBD

Jefferson
Tiki-11/19
vegasdo-11/14

Maryland
mlw 10/19

Methodist
Biohazard - tbd
Theycallme - 10/16
gbwillner - tbd

vr4nut- tbd
Rbrav - 11/28(?)

UNM
mlw - 12/7
Theycallme - 10/26
Rosenthal - TBD

UPenn
Theycallme - 11/1
Tiki--TBD

UTN-Memphis
magician-TBD

U TX HSC San Antonio
vr4nut- tbd

U Utah
Theycallme - TBD

Wash U
King Arthur - TBD

Thus far, has everyone recieved invites via email? Any snail mail or phone invites?

BH

BID
mlw - TBD
tiki - 11/2
Trenchcoat-1/8
ataktos - TBD

Cleveland Clinic
vegasdo-tbd
ataktos - TBD
They Call Me- 12/21

Emory
Tiki--11/27

George Washington
vegasdo- tbd
Rbrav - TBD
Theycallme - TBD

Jefferson
Tiki-11/19
vegasdo-11/14

Maryland
mlw 10/19

Methodist
Biohazard - tbd
Theycallme - 10/16
gbwillner - tbd

vr4nut- tbd
Rbrav - 11/28(?)

UNM
mlw - 12/7
Theycallme - 10/26
Rosenthal - TBD

UPenn
Theycallme - 11/1
Tiki--TBD

UTN-Memphis
magician-TBD

U TX HSC San Antonio
vr4nut- tbd

U Utah
Theycallme - TBD

Wash U
King Arthur - TBD

Guess I am the only without an interview! That's really upset me. I feel so down now.:(

Guess I am the only without an interview! That's really upset me. I feel so down now.:(

Ah, don't worry. I don't have any either. Jefferson and Penn are two on the list that I applied to so far.

In brighter news, my application is complete now and I got back Step 2 today and got 222! Wooooo! (I am considering that pretty awesome from 200 on Step 1.)

There is no reason to feel down now. Seriously, I applied to TWENTY-SEVEN programs, and have only heard, just recently, from TWO! There are programs that people have mentioned that I applied to that have yet to contact me. Most places are still sorting through stuff, and probably will be for a while. Just you wait :)