2008-2009 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. if you look at my status... I am NOT a psychologist but a research assistant...

2. Almost all of my stuff is out... One application submitted and all the other applications I've gotten my transcripts, GRE scores and LoR out. So just need to finish the personal statement and pay.

3. I'm considering applying to some cognitive orientated programs because I think my chance of getting into a clinical program is REALLY LOW. I don't think I've been so discouraged in my life. literally. Everyone tells me that with my scores - I will not be able to get into a program :/

Members don't see this ad.

Can I ask what your GRE is? I got an 1110 my first time taking it, so I know how it goes.

Hey Guys -

I'm joining the thread. I'm really freaked out about applying because of my low GRE score. I figure you guys can me a "support" center for me. In order to try and work out which programs would fit me best based on my scores, I sent a letter out to the graduate program director. Anyways, here are my schools:

UHUHS maybe ?
:oops:

USUHS. like others, is competitive. I would arrange for a visit to talk to the professors at the schools you are interested in, that could be the difference between an interview and no interview. At USUHS it makes a difference as to which track you are applying to. Assuming you are a civilian, the military track (of which Navy is your only option) is easier to gain admission to. The civilian track is rather competitive but is targeted at those hoping to secure an academic career.

It is possible to get accepted with a low GRE provided everything else is outstanding. If you attended a decent undergraduate school and have everything listed below, I think you can make the case for consideration with some tactical site visits.

Personal Statistics:
4 Research labs
1 first authorship
1 publication under preparation
8 conference presentations
Given talks for the National Library of Medicine
Pretigious postbac position
3.778 GPA

I find it hard to believe that no one would give you a shot even with a bad GRE, there is too much good stuff there. Keep getting pubs... that's possibly the number 1 thing that can offset a bad GRE.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen people get around a bad GRE by contacting the prof, letting them know up front, and then getting them on your side....so when they go through the first cut, they can fight for your app.

Everyone knows the GRE isn't a great measure, but it has been used so long, no one is going to get rid of it.

Hey Guys -

I'm joining the thread. I'm really freaked out about applying because of my low GRE score. I figure you guys can me a "support" center for me. In order to try and work out which programs would fit me best based on my scores, I sent a letter out to the graduate program director. Anyways, here are my schools:

Georgia State - Decent shot
George Mason - Decent shot
University of Illinois Urbana - yeah right
U Mass Amherst maybe, leaning towards no
UHUHS maybe ?
Drexel Definite NO
Emory maybe, probably not

I'm also applying to MPH programs because my scores are so low. My clinical psychology professor discussed how my experience is really strong and it may outweigh my GRE score. She also warned that clinical psychology is competitive and that I should have my back-up programs. It always annoys me how much weight schools put on the GRE. Sometimes I scan current students at schools to see their CV and I get aggitated to find that my CV is congruent to 4th and 5th year Ph.D. students. Anyways, ... I wish you all the best of luck seeing how we are all going over the same freak - OUT experience. I'll probably respond and discuss along with you guys.

:oops:

I'm right there with you my friend. My GRE stinks (1070) but I am trying to do all that I can to get in. I've scheduled a pre-interview with a school for their clinical psychology Ph.D. program next week. Also, I will have a M.A. degree prior to entering a program and I think that my experiences speak much more for my abilities than the GRE. I also have a publication as 3rd author in Clinical Neurophysiology and have 4 in preparation, 1 as first author.

I feel your frustration regarding the GRE scores. I think it would be nice if posters/publications were included in applicant disclosure data. I've had good success with a few programs in contacting the people that I would like to work with via e-mail. I have been explaining that my GRE stinks, but that I have a number of other qualities that make-up for it. Anyhow, good luck to you and try to remain hopeful.

Can I ask what your GRE is? I got an 1110 my first time taking it, so I know how it goes.

Its between a 1000 and 1100 :/ I have sent letters to all the graduate program directors and e-mailed all the people that I am interested in working with. I just got a letter from George Masonthat said it would be along shot to get into a their program with my score, even with all my experience. ... I thought that maybe that would be my safety... as their website doesn't say that it has a minimum. It's hard to know which schools weed you out because of GRE scores and etc. I've been trying to ask these schools and most of them say they don't - however, sometimes I doubt what they say. The schools I thought would be my more safe schools actually have criticized my score the most and the "harder" schools have not actively discouraged me to apply - U of I, Emory and UMass Amherst. U of I just said that the scores on the website are just "AVERAGES" - and not cut-offs - however most of these schools do warn that it is competitive.

I have also requested that my LoR explain my GRE score. -> I have also encouraged them to make contacts with the schools in order to "push" my application. However - I am not sure whether any of them will be making phone calls to push.

It is possible to get accepted with a low GRE provided everything else is outstanding. If you attended a decent undergraduate school and have everything listed below, I think you can make the case for consideration with some tactical site visits.

I find it hard to believe that no one would give you a shot even with a bad GRE, there is too much good stuff there. Keep getting pubs... that's possibly the number 1 thing that can offset a bad GRE.

Mark

I attended a good University - but not an IVY. I'm not sure how to make tactical site visits -> any suggestions on how to do this? Like, what would I say to people?

I'm right there with you my friend. My GRE stinks (1070) but I am trying to do all that I can to get in. I've scheduled a pre-interview with a school for their clinical psychology Ph.D. program next week. Also, I will have a M.A. degree prior to entering a program and I think that my experiences speak much more for my abilities than the GRE. I also have a publication as 3rd author in Clinical Neurophysiology and have 4 in preparation, 1 as first author.

I feel your frustration regarding the GRE scores. I think it would be nice if posters/publications were included in applicant disclosure data. I've had good success with a few programs in contacting the people that I would like to work with via e-mail. I have been explaining that my GRE stinks, but that I have a number of other qualities that make-up for it. Anyhow, good luck to you and try to remain hopeful.

I don't have an M.A. degree... and after working in four research labs and with a lot of experience, I know for sure that I want to do my Ph.D. I know for sure that I want to do research.

What surprises me the most is that I see a lot of people getting into Harvard, Princeton, Duke, and other very presitigous universities with NO publications. These people I know on a "acquitance" level. But, I think some of them get into these schools because of the people that they work with i.e. connections/LoR.

Whenever I write to my POI, I always wonder how many people they get e-mails from and have to respond to. I sometimes also wonder what sways people to pick someone out of the 200ish applicants to apply. Honestly, I think no matter what score you get... its competitive, sometimes I feel that if I had a 1200 and above I would get the same responses from people... "it's competitive, I would have backups... i.e. masters program"

My problem with going to get my masters is that there is no "for sure" shot that I could get into a Ph.D. program even after I get my masters. I understand that some people may say... well if you try hard enough then you will get it. But what happens if I apply 5 times and can't get my score up... then I'm stuck with a masters in clinical psychology and honestly, I would rather have an MPH.

Alright... I'm babbling my frustration and thoughts.

TTYS :)

The Ivy League doesn't really apply to clinical psych programs. UPenn had Ellis, and there are other "names" at some....but some of your best clinical programs are at large universities and/or in the midwest.

As Randy Pausch said, these things are the brick walls that keep "the other people" out. If a person really doesn't want it, then they will let things such as the GRE get in their way. Those who really, truly want it will find a way to make it happen.

I was highly discouraged with my scores of 920, 800, 1050, and 1070. They still get to me from day to day. Don't think for a second that I enjoy looking at disclosure data from clinical psychology PhD programs. However, I have done everything else in my power to try and prove that I am serious about my education and that I want this more than anything. PhD programs use the GRE for its predictive validity of how someone might perform in graduate school. It is a common metric among candidates. One criterion that PhD programs are looking for is an ability to conduct research and publish. So, instead of wasting precious time memorizing tons of words, I proposed 2 studies to the IRB and obtained third authorship on a publication. I've also scheduled meetings with the professors that I'd like to work with. As a matter of fact, I'm sitting in a hotel room as we speak as I have a meeting with a POI in the morning. I won't let the GRE stand in the way of my future!

Many programs don't look at the GRE as predictive as much as they use it as another piece of data used to cut people. It isn't "fair" to some, but many times there are far more qualified applicants than interview spots, so they need to pick something.

I attended a good University - but not an IVY. I'm not sure how to make tactical site visits -> any suggestions on how to do this? Like, what would I say to people?

You call up the director and say, "I will be in town on XXX and I would like to schedule a visit to your program. I plan to be applying to clinical psychology programs and I am interested in the work of XXX. Would it be possible to get a tour of the department and meet with XXX, as I would like to evaluate the program prior to applying as I am looking for a program that will be a great fit for me."

It is rare to get rejected when you are going to the trouble of reaching out in this manner. Other methods include calling the admissions office to schedule a "campus tour." in which you call the dept notifying them that you will be in for a campus tour and you are seriously considering applying to their program.

One last great way to get professors to meet with you is to call them and find out where they are presenting. Most will be happy to meet with you after a presentation or other conference event they will be attending. Expressing interest in their work is a great way to build a relationship and to get a leg up for interviews. My interview at University of Alabama was based solely on the work I did at APA in tracking down a prof I was interested in working with. Although I didn't gain admission, I made it quite far in the process and she even helped me edit my personal statement that year... which was responsible for my admission and interviews at a number of programs.

As others have stated, don't let the brick walls get in the way of your success.

Mark

Hello. Quick application question. I think I know the answer, but I'll utilize this resource :)

When you send out transcripts, and list schools you've attended, should you include (transcripts) and list schools you were going to, to transfer credits from (while technically enrolled in another college)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm attending a conference where some of my POIs will be presenting. If you want to meet them, should you email them in advance, or just go up to them after the presentation and talk then?

Hello. Quick application question. I think I know the answer, but I'll utilize this resource :)

When you send out transcripts, and list schools you've attended, should you include (transcripts) and list schools you were going to, to transfer credits from (while technically enrolled in another college)?

I sent all of my transcripts out from everywhere.

You call up the director and say, "I will be in town on XXX and I would like to schedule a visit to your program. I plan to be applying to clinical psychology programs and I am interested in the work of XXX. Would it be possible to get a tour of the department and meet with XXX, as I would like to evaluate the program prior to applying as I am looking for a program that will be a great fit for me."

It is rare to get rejected when you are going to the trouble of reaching out in this manner. Other methods include calling the admissions office to schedule a "campus tour." in which you call the dept notifying them that you will be in for a campus tour and you are seriously considering applying to their program.

One last great way to get professors to meet with you is to call them and find out where they are presenting. Most will be happy to meet with you after a presentation or other conference event they will be attending. Expressing interest in their work is a great way to build a relationship and to get a leg up for interviews. My interview at University of Alabama was based solely on the work I did at APA in tracking down a prof I was interested in working with. Although I didn't gain admission, I made it quite far in the process and she even helped me edit my personal statement that year... which was responsible for my admission and interviews at a number of programs.

As others have stated, don't let the brick walls get in the way of your success.

Mark

Thanks for the advice Mark. I will try my best. Trust me, I'm trying everything I can.

I am so impressed by everyone that says they have already turned in their applications! I have my GREs ordered, LoR packets out, online forms completed and payments done for the most part, but cannot stop editing and re-editing my personal statement. When can I just decide that I am done? Also... what's the deal with 500 word limits on some statements...doesn't that seem like way to little to describe your interests, experiences, goals, etc, etc?

Good luck everyone!

terapueta: i totally feel your pain!! i just revised my personal statement for what i thought was the last time and got great feedback from one of my professors (who runs the clinical admissions process at my school) but then i remembered that one of the schools i'm applying to (GWU) has a 500 word limit. so frustrating, because i'm not using a lot of fluff in my statement-- it's all important stuff! i have so far butchered it down to 638 words, but i'm at a loss. i e-mailed someone in the psych department to make sure that limit is strictly adhered to (since the instruction for the statement comes from the school of arts and sciences, not directly from the psych department) but i think that's wishful thinking... i've already cut out all of my volunteer experience, since i list it in my CV. i don't know what else to cut out without it sounding totally awful. good luck to you!

I'm attending a conference where some of my POIs will be presenting. If you want to meet them, should you email them in advance, or just go up to them after the presentation and talk then?

Yes, email them in advance. It shows that you value their time and you are serious about meeting with them. Some won't have time but will encourage you to catch them during the poster sessions, etc. Others will spend a considerable amount of time with you. I had good luck just talking to some at random too.

Mark

Ah, shoot, I was unaware that I should do this and the conference starts on Thurs. Is it too late to email now? And what do you write, anyway?

Ah, shoot, I was unaware that I should do this and the conference starts on Thurs. Is it too late to email now? And what do you write, anyway?

I would just go for it... track them down and ask them about their lab and their research. Express interest in their program and be prepared to discuss the literature in the field should you track them down. Know 3 good cites they have cited in multiple papers. :)

Mark

Thanks, I will do that! I'm presenting a poster, too, so I'm kind of hoping people will see me as well. No worries about their work--I'm already extremely familiar with the work of the majority of the people there, and the rest I will delve into more.

I was also planning on asking questions during or after the presentation. I'm usually pretty good at coming up with questions. :D

Does anyone have a link for that thread on advice on applying (from students who have already applied)?

Thank you in advance!

Hey out there... anyone else applying to MSU?

Their application is confusing to me...

1st I did the psychology department app. It had two short essays about my career goals and research interests and then a personal statement. Then on the grad school app it asks for a personal statement and statement of purpose. So I guess I am confused on how many different essays they want. Any insights here?

So, a little while ago I applied for application fee waivers through a program called FreeApp. Basically, if you are a minority student, or were a low-income or first-generation college student, and had good grades in undergrad (>3.3), you are eligible to apply for fee waivers from graduate institutions. I just received notice that one of my schools is granting my fee waiver request, as I was both a first-generation and low-income student. Hurray!! If more of my schools do this, I'll be able to apply to more than 4 programs! I was very discouraged a few weeks ago when my parents informed me that they wouldn't be able to help me financially at all with applications, and had to chop my list of 10 schools down to 4.

I am busy finishing up personal statements this week and hopefully will be mailing out applications next week. I have received all of my letters except from one prof, whom I work with. How is everyone else doing?

I am busy finishing up personal statements this week and hopefully will be mailing out applications next week. I have received all of my letters except from one prof, whom I work with. How is everyone else doing?

I'm exactly where you are-- still waiting for one of my profs to send me his letters, and TRYING to deal with these personal statements. soooooo annoying. also, of course, waiting for subject GRE scores and trying to deal with sending all my scores and very confused about it all. But, I'm getting really excited about the 'home stretch' through January!

Hey, This forum has been very helpful and I have another question for the group. I just got my Psych GRE scores today. My score was 640. How does this score compare? Been trying to find some info, but seems a little hard to get a grasp on what is a "good" score. Just now sure, thanks for any advice anyone can give! :)

Last edited:
Just thought I'd give a little update because I'm very excited. I'm pleased to say that my applications are all now in the mail and out of my hands! Woohoo! The application deadlines are upon us! I hope everyone applying this year is handling the stresses well. Just remember, it's almost over and then we get to move on to interview season soon.

Congratulations BamaPsych! I am about halfway through my applications - I am at the point where I just have to tweak my personal statement for each school and finish filling out paperwork. I am getting a little sick of talking about myself :).

I ran into one school that wants me to submit a sample psychology research paper. I have been out of undergrad (where I majored in psych) for 3 years so none of those seem very useful as they don't depict where I am now academically. I finished my master's in public health but didn't do any psych work - except my thesis. And although I am working on papers to submit to journals at my current job, none are ready to be read. So, should I go ahead and submit my 60 page thesis? Or should I just submit a lit review from graduate school - which is "acceptable" but not what the school is looking for?

Thank you all!

Maddie: can you cut down your thesis to a submittable paper? Also, i don't know if it absolutely has to be in psychology, they are probably just looking for a writing sample.

Hope this helps :)

hey guys, its good to see some familiar faces - or names - from last year, it was a disappointing season, so hopefully this year will bring some good luck for SDN'ers. I'm slowly chugging along, not nearly as ready as some of you, but I think its because ive been through this process before. im applying to 8 schools as of now and still trying to decide on my last one.

University of Arizona
University of Michigan
SDSU/UCSD
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
Ohio State
University of Vermont
Florida State
University of Florida
and possibly
Pittsburgh or Washington State

If any first-timers need any questions about this process answered, I'd be happy to offer my advice, even though my first go-around wasn't successful. heres my story: I went to an ivy, had a good gpa, graduated in 06, took a year off and went overseas, came back got an RA position in a lab in denver, got decent gres, applied to 7 top tier schools, got an interview to my number 1 choice, and best school on my list, had a HORRENDOUS interview experience, didnt get in and didnt get any other interviews. it was mostly my fault, i applied to geographically desirable schools only and paid less attention to match/experience than i should have. this time around, im not jazzed about any of the cities my potential schools are located in, but the match is MUCH better.

Good luck to everyone!!!!

hey guys, its good to see some familiar faces - or names - from last year, it was a disappointing season, so hopefully this year will bring some good luck for SDN'ers. I'm slowly chugging along, not nearly as ready as some of you, but I think its because ive been through this process before. im applying to 8 schools as of now and still trying to decide on my last one.

University of Arizona
University of Michigan
SDSU/UCSD
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
Ohio State
University of Vermont
Florida State
University of Florida
and possibly
Pittsburgh or Washington State

If any first-timers need any questions about this process answered, I'd be happy to offer my advice, even though my first go-around wasn't successful. heres my story: I went to an ivy, had a good gpa, graduated in 06, took a year off and went overseas, came back got an RA position in a lab in denver, got decent gres, applied to 7 top tier schools, got an interview to my number 1 choice, and best school on my list, had a HORRENDOUS interview experience, didnt get in and didnt get any other interviews. it was mostly my fault, i applied to geographically desirable schools only and paid less attention to match/experience than i should have. this time around, im not jazzed about any of the cities my potential schools are located in, but the match is MUCH better.

Good luck to everyone!!!!

Thanks so much for offering to answer questions, and I wish you the best of luck this time around. I am definitely a bit overwhelmed by the process. If you don't mind my asking, what happened at the interview/at which school? I am already feeling nervous about the interviews (and that's assuming I even get any!)
oh, and about me:
Did not go to an Ivy undergrad, but went to "Most Selective" (U.S. News & World Report Top 25 National Doctoral institution); graduated 2007
Undergrad GPA: 3.9; Psych GPA: 3.95
Have a Masters in Clinical Psychology (MA GPA: 4.0)
2 years research, 2 years Clinical
1370 GRE, 750 Psychology GRE
1 publication (1st author)

Thanks so much again, Jenni!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for offering to answer questions, and I wish you the best of luck this time around. I am definitely a bit overwhelmed by the process. If you don't mind my asking, what happened at the interview/at which school? I am already feeling nervous about the interviews (and that's assuming I even get any!)
oh, and about me:
Did not go to an Ivy undergrad, but went to "Most Selective" (U.S. News & World Report Top 25 National Doctoral institution); graduated 2007

I have a feeling you will get some interviews ;)

Maddie: can you cut down your thesis to a submittable paper? Also, i don't know if it absolutely has to be in psychology, they are probably just looking for a writing sample.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks ClinicalGal, my thesis chairperson would love this comment as he has been trying to get me to cut my thesis down into a journal article sinice I finished it.

I ended up emailing my POI and they said to go ahead and send the whole thesis.

That's 5 apps down, 7 to go!:D

Guess who's staying up late tonight writing personal statements?? ME! Anyone going to be around to take a look?

oh, and about me:

Hi Olivia! No problem whatsoever, i would love to help - alumni of this process last year were such a help to me. let me preface my story with a disclaimer that this story is *rare* even to those who had interviewed with the same prof the years before. also, pardon my attempt at anonymity - i dont want to insult anyone outright.

I interviewed at one of the top clinical programs as ranked by US News, and I was THRILLED. The first day we were required to be at the program was mostly a get-to-know-you session for current grad students, faculty, and the program in general. I really loved the program, except for the issues about funding that the majority of grad students agreed with, and the condition of the psychology facilities - for a top-notch school, i expected much more. the next day was interview day. we had 4 face-to-face, back-to-back interviews. my first interview was with a grad student and it went just as i expected. i explained my research experience and why i was interested in the lab i was applying for, the second was with the DCT of the program whom I just LOVED. she was so nice, i wouldve loved to work with her on my clinical work. the third interview was with my POI. I was super excited to speak with her in person after months of correspondence by email. i had read a stack of her pubs and had so much to ask her, etc. i sat down and she said tell me what your research interests are. since we had discussed this previously i felt confident to really get into the nitty gritty of potential ideas. she stopped me in the middle and asked me to design a study for her using one of my ideas. i was amusingly challenged and i just chugged along trying my best to give her informed, insightful points. it took a few prompts from her, but we finally finished our study design and she seemed to be satisfied. she then took a graph from her desk and placed it in front of me and asked me to 'analyze the graph and explain what mechanism was driving the curve. i had to stop myself from nearly laughing out loud at how absurd i thought this was - to waste precious interview time testing my research skills under highly stressful conditions. after that was done she asked me a few questions that she didnt let me finish answering before she cut me off and started listing the other programs to which, she felt, i should have applied. i realized, at that point, that she was technically rejecting me during my interview. i tried to reaffirm my interest in her lab, but she nodded and smiled and walked me to the door. i had interview #4 with another grad student, but we spent most of the time discussing the intricacies of my POI. After much thought, the program was most definitely not for me, and i definitely would never want to work for that POI. I wasnt disappointed with my rejection, I was disappointed that I didn't get any other interviews.

I hope this helps, but please don't let it make you anxious about your potential interviews, because I KNOW this was a fluke. the rest of the applicants for the program said their interviews with their POIs were pleasant - one, who did end up getting an offer and accepting, said she and her POI discussed how dog-friendly the area was. And, when I spoke with the other grad students in my POI's lab, they said their interview was nothing like that.

Moral of the story: if the lab is a good fit, your interview will go well, and you'll get in. if you feel uncomfortable, you probably shouldnt go.

And as for your credentials, and of course I'm not on any selection committees, so take this with a grain of salt, but you seem like a stellar candidate. my advice would be to take time and really focus on the people to whom youre applying. match really is everything. i THOUGHT i was doing a good job last year with regards to match, but looking back, i couldve done better, and hopefully did, this year!

feel free to ask any other questions!

mplsgirl - sure, PM me. I am no expert (in the middle of the same process myself) but happy to give my 2 cents :) hope it helps

mplsgirl - sure, PM me. I am no expert (in the middle of the same process myself) but happy to give my 2 cents :) hope it helps

Awesome, you are the bomb! Feel free to send me a copy of yours if you need someone to look at it as well. I hope to have a draft punched out in a couple of hours. Gracias!

no problem whatsoever :) if it's in a couple of hours, may be in bed (currently abroad, not on US time), but will get to it when I wake up.

---

i have a question for anyone -is there a place that lists approximate dates when interviews take place for each school? this is thinking ahead (and perhaps too positively), but I want to budget/plan for travel if necessary. i see this info listed on some programs' websites, but not all. am i going to have to call the programs to find out, or is there a better way to go about this?
thanks in advance :)

Jenni- I am so sorry to hear that. What a horrible experience! It really sounds like you have a great perspective, and just think, anything after that is a cakewalk! :) It shows you can really handle yourself well. I wish you the very best.

Race-We're on the same wavelength! I also was looking that up tonight. Obviously, this is from last year, but SDN has a thread on the interview dates. It is probably a good reference. The majority seemed to be in Feb., and it seems like people were contacted in late Jan/early Feb.

I would be happy to read any personal statements. One of my LORs (with whom I did research) is a faculty member at UVA, so if anyone is applying there, I would be happy to divulge what she told me as to what she generally looks for in an applicant.

I think it is important to remember though that no matter how esteemed a professor, we should follow our own instincts. One LOR (who prescribes to a research career/got a Ph.D from UCLA) told me to not mention any clinical experience when applying to heavily research-oriented schools. While she definitely has valid reasons for this, I still think that I can find a way to incorporate it without it coming across as a superfluous detail. There's no real recipe for the "perfect" personal statement; though it can be daunting nonetheless!

FYI, I'm still in my office at work trying to finish a VERY rough draft of a statement! Barf! I don't see how not to include clinical experience into my personal statement. I am applying to some very research oriented programs, and will probably edit this to focus more on my research, but I feel like I have a really good mix of both research and clinical experiences that led me to my current interests.

I am only trying to finish this one statement tonight, because it has to be postmarked by December 1st. The rest of my deadlines are all Dec. 15, so I have a little bit more time.

Back to writing!

Well, 7 down and 6 to go.
It's amazing how many months/years of preparation you can do in researching schools, only to have things change at the last minute. i.e. adding and subtracting schools 15 days before the deadline.

Here's my list - all clinical PhD programs. Area of interest = health, with a focus on chronic pain and mood/anxiety disorders.
In relative order of preference ... (Anyone else applying to these?)

Kansas
Florida
Duke
Virginia Commonwealth
Texas Southwestern Medical Center - Dallas
Kentucky
Vermont
Arizona State
Wayne State
Missouri - St. Louis
Louisville
Rosalind Franklin (the mystery school)
Nova Southeastern (if they offered financial assistance, it would be higher)

Thanksgiving looks to be a fun-filled day of December 15 deadline apps!
I hope everyone's applications are going well without too much stress.

Last edited:
thanks Olivia :) i will look into that thread.

mpls - that's difficult to do, and i struggled with it myself. i must admit that on shorter statements (1-2 pages) to research oriented programs, i pretty much left my clinical experience to my cv. a sentence or two might help, but not much more than that. at least that's my assumption.

Last edited:
thirdeye99: I'm applying to Kentucky :D

On another note, I still need to get my LoRs back. Getting a little nervous because my first deadline is Dec 1. :/

Hi all!! I'm back...my master's program has keep me busy to keep me from posting in a while.

Funny enough, after my first year of grad school, I realized that I really didn't want to get a clinical Ph.D. program anymore. My concern was my personal ability to split my time between research and practice, so I opted to focus on research. I also really enjoy the research I am doing now, so I'm off to applying to social-personality programs this year.

First, I thought I would drop in and say "hi" since it has been a while since I last posted. Second, is anyone else applying to social-personality programs this year? I know there are usually a few people from other disciplines around this forum.

Anyways, this forum has been a great help for me in the past, and I want to commend you guys for keeping up the awesome work! :cool:

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone recommends submitting a cover letter with the supplemental application materials (e.g., LoRs, transcripts). What's the protocol here? Stick them all in an envelope and send?
If you have written such a cover letter, I am seeking advice on what to say.
Thanks for the time :)

Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone recommends submitting a cover letter with the supplemental application materials (e.g., LoRs, transcripts). What's the protocol here? Stick them all in an envelope and send?
If you have written such a cover letter, I am seeking advice on what to say.
Thanks for the time :)

I wrote a very brief cover letter. Basically, I wrote:

(Normal letter heading)

Date

Dear Sir or Madam:

Enclosed are supplemental materials to my online application to the Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program at University X, submitted November 22, 2008. Included are:

3 LORs
Undergrad and/or Grad Transcripts
Whatever else you have

Thank you for considering my application.

Sincerely,

your name

Hope that helps and best of luck!

thanks, that does help. had something similar, but didn't know if it was typical.