**2008-2009 MD/PhD Interview Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

britishmafia

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will go by the same rules as those found in other forums, specifically the pre-allo (MD) forum. It will be a good source for future applicants to get an idea where certain people were granted interviews and to give future MD/PhDs a sense of hope!

NOTE: Since MD/PhD programs typically don't consider your state of residency, I left out the portion for OOS/IS, but you can include it if you wish.

Legend
C: Complete
II: Interview Invite date
I: Interview date

Texas A&M - britishmafia(C: ?; II: 7/31; I: 9/3-9/4)
University of Nebraska - britishmafia(C: 7/30; II: 7/30; I: 12/5)

DO NOT ERASE!
1) click quote on the most recent list
2) delete the quote messages on the top and bottom
3) add your user name, interview invite date, interview date, any other pertinent info, and if needed, the school
4) click submit

Members don't see this ad.

Wow you're getting interviews already? Thats really impressive. I've been complete at a few schools but have heard nothing so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Wow you're getting interviews already? Thats really impressive. I've been complete at a few schools but have heard nothing so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

sheesh... my primary application is still waiting to get reviewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe it's that time of year again. Good luck to you all - in retrospect, I can easily say that my application season was one of the best experiences of my life. I hope you can say the same.

I can not believe that you guys have already started receiving the interview invites....I have got none so far. I am slugging away at those secondaries, so let's hope something turn up soon.

It seems like that you guys are getting interviews from Texas schools. Any information on UT Houston's interview timeline for OOS? I been trying to contact them to no avail for the past week and half!:mad:

Damn! Interviews already... I haven't even gotten 4 of my secondaries ><....

Its actually kind of scary how many interviews are already being offered over on the pre-allo threads. I guess the MD/PhD committees lag behind the regular MD committees on screening people.

Its actually kind of scary how many interviews are already being offered over on the pre-allo threads. I guess the MD/PhD committees lag behind the regular MD committees on screening people.

Sometimes I wonder if they are wanting for more people to complete their applications before starting to screen. Its still pretty early.

I know they are so slow....if I was MD only, I would have gotten at least 4 interviews/rejections by now. :(

If any adcom reading this: get on with already! Please!

Well... here is proof that they operate on a whole 'nother level.

I got Vandy's MSTP secondary today but no word at all on the interview invite.

The MSTP at Vandy, doesn't work the same as their MD-only. Getting the secondary doesn't mean that you've gotten an interview invite, you have to submit the secondary and wait (just like everywhere else).

The MSTP at Vandy, doesn't work the same as their MD-only. Getting the secondary doesn't mean that you've gotten an interview invite, you have to submit the secondary and wait (just like everywhere else).

Lol thats kind of lame. The guaranteed interview is a huge incentive to do the secondary. . :laugh:

Last edited:
Yeah it's the same way with UNC.. I got that secondary and thought "oh snap! an interview!"

... but, alas, we must wait until November/December for them to start sending out those invitations ...

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't submitted my primary. :(

Question: can you submit your application for review (with the transcript) before finishing the essay?

I still haven't submitted my primary. :(

Question: can you submit your application for review (with the transcript) before finishing the essay?

Almost completely certain the answer to this is no. If memory serves, only the letters of evaluation and medical school selections can continue to be modified after submitting, sadly enough.

G'luck getting that done soon :luck:

Almost completely certain the answer to this is no. If memory serves, only the letters of evaluation and medical school selections can continue to be modified after submitting, sadly enough.

G'luck getting that done soon :luck:

K.. Doing my MCATs on thursday, so I'm hoping I'll finish the essays and get the application verified before my MCAT scores are out. The MCAT ruined my life!

I know! I was so dissappointed! I was like "SWEET first interview!", but no...

No, no, no...

No you cannot.

The MCAT ruined my life!

The MCAT ruins a lot of lives... :(

Originally Posted by Jorje286

Actually, you can submit your application for review if you have completed everything else but the MD/PhD and Significant Research Experience essays. You do this by selecting MD only schools (assuming you're doing this) and clicking submit. However, it should be noted that as soon as you select schools you wish to apply MD/PhD, you must enter the two MD/PhD essays. Therefore, I suggest submitting your application now, completing your MD/PhD essays in Word and then adding the programs of your choosing. I know this because it is what I did. :D

Are secondary essay questions the same each yr per school? If so, where can I find out the questions for each school?

Are secondary essay questions the same each yr per school? If so, where can I find out the questions for each school?

Most schools keep many of their essays, but they do change some from time to time. The standard MD essays can be found in the Pre-Allo forums, but (as far as I know) we do not yet have such a database for additional MD/PhD/MSTP secondaries.

This might be a good idea if someone's up to the task.

Hmmm... I might consider doing that this weekend. We would only need one thread though right? Not all the little ones like in the pre-allo forum? What do you think?

I agree. I think that one thread would be sufficient. I have submitted almost 20 secondaries (I think...) so I would be able to add to it. I finally received my last rec letter today so my packet should be going out soon.

Also, I applied to northwestern and they said that they sent an email to me acknowledging their receipt of my AMCAS... but I definitely didn't get the email. Could anyone who has the email kindly PM the content to me? Thanks!

Also, i just learned today that Mayo does not download AMCAS until another week or so. I know that the people on the mayo Pre-allo thread are freaking out about LORs and secondary fees and whatever so don't worry if you haven't heard anything.

I never got an email from Northwestern either. They finally sent me a snail mail letter a couple of days ago.

-

Last edited:
If this is all a waste of time, I'd rather be in the lab than writing a million ridiculous, redundant supplementary essays...

Well, that comment alone qualifies you for MD/PhD.:p:D

Wish I could comment more on actual chances, but I'm just a lowly pre-grmed like you. And mdapps seems to be down too. Boo.

Legend

Texas A&M
britishmafia(C: ?; II: 7/31; I: 9/3-9/4)

University of Nebraska

britishmafia(C: 7/30; II: 7/30; I: 12/5)

Virginia Commonwealth University

RapplixGmed (C:7/24; II:8/08; I:9/15-9/16)

DO NOT ERASE!
3) add your user name, interview invite date, interview date, any other pertinent info, and if needed, the school
4) click submit

Congrats!!
Hopefully we'll keep seeing more invites soon :)

Legend

Texas A&M
britishmafia(C: ?; II: 7/31; I: 9/10-9/11)

University of Illinois
britishmafia (C: 7/9; II: 8/14; I: 9/24)

University of Nebraska

RapplixGmed (C:7/24; II:8/08; I:9/15-9/16)

DO NOT ERASE!
4) click submit

o_O UIC. Congrats. I wasn't complete until 8/5, so maybe it'll be a while before they get to mine if they're just now doing those from 7/9. Hmmm....

Looks like last year people started getting more invites around this time. Keeping my fingers crossed! :oops:

Do you guys know which programs reimburse you for travel expenses off the top of your heads?

Legend

Texas A&M
britishmafia(C: ?; II: 7/31; I: 9/10-9/11)

University of Illinois (UIC)
britishmafia (C: 7/9; II: 8/14; I: 9/24)

University of Nebraska

RapplixGmed (C:7/24; II:8/08; I:9/15-9/16); britishmafia (C: 8/12; II: 8/20; I: 10/20-10/21)

DO NOT ERASE!
4) click submit

So UIC's interview is only one day? I thought most schools had 2 day interiviews?

So UIC's interview is only one day? I thought most schools had 2 day interiviews?

Yeah it's only a one-day interview for them. In fact, it's only part of a day. Kind of confusing, but I'll report back once I get the itinerary. It'll be interesting to see who I interview with.

I want some goddamn interviews:mad:. That is what I get for applying early:(.

Ahhh...now I feel better!

Me four. :scared: (Although I still have 2 secondaries left to complete - I've submitted 10 to date...and am still waiting on 1 last LOR to be sent to all the school.)

On more serious note, anybody else having hard time completing all the secondaries? I know I am! I started out very strong with completing like 12 in a week after verification, and now I have slow down a bit. I have got Maryland sitting in my inbox for two weeks (It is quite annoying secondary specially the last question).

Any tricks to stay on top?

BTW, sorry for the hijack. I swear I wont do that again if I get an interview soon!

I feel your pain, cancerkiller. I saved Duke's secondary for almost-last. I'm pretty miserable right now :(. SEVEN essays.....and most are totally different topics from what I've written before.

My motivation right now is imagining how much more chaotic things will be next week when classes/15 hrs+/week in lab/TAing start if all my secondaries are not completed this weekend.

I feel your pain, cancerkiller. I saved Duke's secondary for almost-last. I'm pretty miserable right now :(. SEVEN essays.....and most are totally different topics from what I've written before.

My motivation right now is imagining how much more chaotic things will be next week when classes/15 hrs+/week in lab/TAing start if all my secondaries are not completed this weekend.

I just finished Duke's last week as my final secondary. The difficulty with Duke's is a combination of different things:

1. No character limits - This throws a lot of people off, but I think it's a good way to tell applicants "answer the question in as many words as it takes." This could range from a paragraph to a few pages, but the one-paragraph essay could possibly be more enthralling than the latter.
2. Deep questions - In other words, the questions Duke asks are NOT along the lines of "Why do you want to go to X?" or "What is your motivation for medicine?" They do ask these, but most of the questions for the MD portion require a lot of deep thinking. Picking out our "most significant ___" is a daunting task.
3. A lot of essays - Multiply the previous two problems by 7 (SEVEN!) and now it's a beast.

Honestly, I think Duke had the most interesting questions, albeit ridiculously challenging. Vanderbilt's secondary was pretty difficult with an autobiography and other additional questions, but the autobiography was mostly a copy/paste from the UCSD secondary.

EDIT: Oh, and for "staying on top of it all" ... just try to knock off a couple essays (not necessarily secondaries) per day. This makes the task much easier to handle. That helped me a lot.

I'm an English major (along w/ biochemistry), so I have the tendency to write A LOT. I've spent practically all of yesterday and all of today on Duke's essays....5 down (ranging from approx. 450-750 words), 1 about 3/4 done, 1 I'm unsure of (wrote only 87 words so far - it's the one about what relationship has influenced me the most - for me, it's my relationship w/ myself, so I don't know how much detail I should go into...I'm quite tired of writing these things.) I feel like my final products are fairly strong, but who knows if that's what they're looking for or not. Oh well, will be finishing and submitting in another few hours.

Where are the interview invitations? :scared: Anybody?

This waiting game is annoying and frustrating. :bang::bang::bang::bang:

ADCOMS....get to my apps and give me some interviews!

Lol everytime someone posts in this thread I get scared that someone else is getting interviews and I'm not :(.

Ok guys its the end of August...CHILL OUT! It's ok. If you have all of your secondaries in, you are way on top of it. You will get your invitations no worries. Sit back and relax.