** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread! **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
but wouldnt the idea still be to get the secondaries in as soon as possible? So since I have marked im retaking in jan they will not look at everything until jan even if they have secondaries back?

Members don't see this ad.

but wouldnt the idea still be to get the secondaries in as soon as possible? So since I have marked im retaking in jan they will not look at everything until jan even if they have secondaries back?

I think it depends on the schools if they will look at your app before they receive the MCAT. I believe for the most part they will wait. Like I said, with a 3.1 and a 15 you will get rejected so it is best that they don't look at your app before the new MCAT comes.

I don't think so; I'm dealing with the same thing. Sometimes I wonder if being early with a lousy MCAT would have been better than retaking and being late or at least not early...?:confused::scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I will most likely submit them when I receive them because I feel that even though they may not review it until they have the new MCAT it will still look better that I am quick to submit my secondaries rather than waiting until feb

I think I will most likely submit them when I receive them because I feel that even though they may not review it until they have the new MCAT it will still look better that I am quick to submit my secondaries rather than waiting until feb
Good luck! I really don't know. At one of my schools my MCAT is below their minimum so I have my secondary ready to send out pending my new MCAT score but I'm not wasting my money if I don't do better.

I just applied to AZCOM, Nova, KCUMB, Pikeville, Philadelphia (PCOM) last wednesday (10/8) when do secondaries come in for these? Are all these invite only secondaries or is their a link I can go to and fill out?

Just worried because I haven't heard anything yet...
You just sent your primary in to AACOMAS? It could take a long time; I sent mine in really early and it took about 6 weeks to be verified.

They don't care about quickness. They care about being qualified. After assessing your whole situation, I take back what I said earlier about submitting if you were fairly certain you would do well (I agree with Bond). Even if you KNEW you would do well on the test--which you just told us that you haven't even taken a practice test--there is no advantage to applying now. They would be waiting for a score before assessing your file.

The fact that you have a score, already, makes it worse for you. They would reject that score if you didn't retake. I know of at least one case at one school where they ignored the fact that the student was retaking. They went by the sub-20 score and REJECTED them before receiving the retake.

I think you should focus on studying and save your secondary money (which adds up quickly) until you're more certain of your MCAT future.

You just sent your primary in to AACOMAS? It could take a long time; I sent mine in really early and it took about 6 weeks to be verified.

No, AACOMAS has already verified it a long time ago. I just actually submitted my app to those schools and am now waiting for secondaries. Please anyone have any idea?

original question: I just applied to AZCOM, Nova, KCUMB, Pikeville, Philadelphia (PCOM) last wednesday (10/8) when do secondaries come in for these? Are all these invite only secondaries or is their a link I can go to and fill out?

No, AACOMAS has already verified it a long time ago. I just actually submitted my app to those schools and am now waiting for secondaries. Please anyone have any idea?

original question: I just applied to AZCOM, Nova, KCUMB, Pikeville, Philadelphia (PCOM) last wednesday (10/8) when do secondaries come in for these? Are all these invite only secondaries or is their a link I can go to and fill out?

Since you're already verified, I'd give it 2 weeks before calling the schools about not getting a secondary.

Check the link in my signature if you want to get a head start on the essays. However, I wouldn't recommend turning in a secondary unless you've either been explicitly invited to do so or the website tells you to, immediately upon submission of AACOMAS.

Calling the schools is usually your best bet, but good luck on that one with Nova...

Can someone please post the Microsoft Word or PDF link for the supplemental application for Western University?? Thanks!!

Can someone please post the Microsoft Word or PDF link for the supplemental application for Western University?? Thanks!!

Like someone already said in the COMP thread, the questions are posted in this thread if you want to get ahead and draft responses...you should not fill out an actual secondary unless the school requests you to do so.

any recommendations on the length of an answer to a question that asks for a "brief statement", as in PCOM's secondary app? they ask why DO/why PCOM in one question and for a description of your healthcare related experiences in the second and I'm afraid I'm writing too much. is approx. one page for each too long?

any recommendations on the length of an answer to a question that asks for a "brief statement", as in PCOM's secondary app? they ask why DO/why PCOM in one question and for a description of your healthcare related experiences in the second and I'm afraid I'm writing too much. is approx. one page for each too long?

I stayed around half a page (single-spaced) for most essays, especially the ones that were described as "brief." But if it's all vital information, I don't think one page is too long, but I wouldn't recommend more than that for most essays.

Have someone proofread it and see if anything is unnecessary. With a little editing, you can often make your essays shorter, more powerful, and more likely to be well-received by your readers. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent my PCOM secondary in about a month ago with a $50 check and the check still hastn't been cashed yet. I've called them a couple of times and asked if they've received my secondary and all that they say is that I'll get something in the mail confirming that they've received my secondary. I'm honestly a little worried that it may have gotten lost. Anybody else have anything similar happen with PCOM?

oh yeah, sent mine twice (three and half months ago and one month ago). can't really seem to get any type of response or answers from them other than wait and see.

Is anyone else having a hard time answering the "why should ____ accept you" question. I know that I need to include my good qualities, but I am having a hard time getting started. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Is anyone else having a hard time answering the "why should ____ accept you" question. I know that I need to include my good qualities, but I am having a hard time getting started. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!!!

That's a tough one to answer.

Make a list of qualities you think are important to becoming a physician. Then mark the ones you feel your friends/family would say that you possess. Now think of examples to confirm them and the time when you realized you possessed each one.

This line of thinking is how I wrote a good half-page essay for this prompt. Then I reused it a bunch of times for other schools. :thumbup:

That's a tough one to answer.

Make a list of qualities you think are important to becoming a physician. Then mark the ones you feel your friends/family would say that you possess. Now think of examples to confirm them and the time when you realized you possessed each one.

This line of thinking is how I wrote a good half-page essay for this prompt. Then I reused it a bunch of times for other schools. :thumbup:

Yep, he's right. It's about listing your qualities. Have you done anything that is outstanding, or something that other people might not have done that's work mentioning?

Yep, he's right. It's about listing your qualities. Have you done anything that is outstanding, or something that other people might not have done that's work mentioning?

Good call. I also forgot to mention that if you have long-term goals or interests that are in line with the school, tell them what they are! I included them in the "Why should we accept you?" essays, too.

Does anyone know what format (ie word doc, pdf, etc) the C.V. is suppose to be for AZCOM and CCOM? Or do we snail mail it? Thanks!

Does anyone know what format (ie word doc, pdf, etc) the C.V. is suppose to be for AZCOM and CCOM? Or do we snail mail it? Thanks!

Right above where it says "choose file", it says the cv must be "200Kb maximum file size and Word, .doc, format only." Sorry I was going to cut and paste it directly from the site, but I'm on a mac and I haven't figured that out yet.

Hope that helps

Right above where it says "choose file", it says the cv must be "200Kb maximum file size and Word, .doc, format only." Sorry I was going to cut and paste it directly from the site, but I'm on a mac and I haven't figured that out yet.

Hope that helps

Command (apple) + C --> Command (apple) + V

Maybe you meant something else, and this sounds condescending. Not my intention. :)

Command (apple) + C --> Command (apple) + V

Maybe you meant something else, and this sounds condescending. Not my intention. :)

No, you're not being condescending. I just don't know anything about macs. Thanks for the help.

I am finishing up my secondary to PCSOM and it says to attach your statement of purpose...I have never been asked to write one for any other school and was hoping someone could help me out with what it is supposed to be.

Thanks!

There should be a prompt on the back page of the secondary.

The statement of purpose is just like any other essay a medical school asks you to write. It's on the back page of the secondary application where it asks you to state why you should be selected as a rural primary care osteopathic physician.

Not sure where this should be posted, but I was wondering how long it takes from getting verified to getting secondaries typically. Thanks:)

After actually being verified it was a couple of weeks before I heard anything from DO schools. MD schools are much faster in that regard, but on the other side I've been hearing from DO schools much faster after the secondaries than MD schools (maybe b/c my stats are better for DO, not sure).

Not sure where this should be posted, but I was wondering how long it takes from getting verified to getting secondaries typically. Thanks:)

If I remember correctly I got some secondaries a day or two after I was verified and I definitely had all of them within 2 weeks of verification. If your concerned at all call the admissions office of a school and ask if they've received your aacomas application. I highly recommend working on the secondaries now even if you haven't received them directly from the school yet. That will give you a head start. A lot of schools have a link to their secondary application right on their website and if you do a search for on this forum you'll find a link that lists all of them. Hope that helps.

A couple of the 2ndary apps that use adobe will not let me type on the

application (i.e. both PCOM's and Pikeville), is it okay for me to handwrite

those applications or is that a crap idea?

A couple of the 2ndary apps that use adobe will not let me type on the

application (i.e. both PCOM's and Pikeville), is it okay for me to handwrite

those applications or is that a crap idea?

Try one of the online PDF editors. Looks much better. You can generally do one or two PDFs for free as well. I handwrote PCOM though cause of time constraints.

Good luck!

Try one of the online PDF editors. Looks much better. You can generally do one or two PDFs for free as well. I handwrote PCOM though cause of time constraints.

Good luck!

If this doesn't work out, just type up the essays and handwrite "Attached" in the space provided. You'd want to number the essays, if there are more than one. In which case you'd say "Attached #1," etc.

I've already submitted my secondary applications, but I am now doing research work that I would like to mention. Is it possible to add this information, and how can I do it? Thanks in advance.

I've already submitted my secondary applications, but I am now doing research work that I would like to mention. Is it possible to add this information, and how can I do it? Thanks in advance.

You can write a brief letter and sum about what you've done since submitting your apps, that wasn't included. You can also add a couple of statements about why you love school x/why you'd be a good addition to the c/o 2013. Mail it to the admissions office/dean of admissions. They'll add it to your file and consider it with your other materials.

Hey is there a strategy to filling out secondaries. I just started receiving mine and I would like to interview at my top choices first but am not sure if postponing a secondary is the smartest thing to do. Anybody have any thoughts or attempted something similar?

Hey is there a strategy to filling out secondaries. I just started receiving mine and I would like to interview at my top choices first but am not sure if postponing a secondary is the smartest thing to do. Anybody have any thoughts or attempted something similar?

Just because you get them in earlier than your non-first choice schools does not ensure you will interview there first. Don't delay submitting secondaries, it only hurts.

Just because you get them in earlier than your non-first choice schools does not ensure you will interview there first. Don't delay submitting secondaries, it only hurts.

Agreed. Now, if you have 10 in your inbox that you got all at the same time, you need to prioritize. Do your top choices first.

But don't wait to fill out one because you're waiting for another. You won't be able to manipulate a school's timeframe. They're completely unpredictable. All you'll be doing is increasing your chances for having to apply again next year.

Now get to work on those essays! :thumbup:

So I've been working on these secondary this past week or so and I realize that some schools request similar essays. For the first few secondaries, I spent time writing original content but in some later ones I formed Frankenstein essays from the previous ones.

Anyhow I figure I am not the only one to do this, but are there any issues here concerning self-plagiarism? I'm not too worried about it because I imagine the schools don't typically communicate with each other, but I did use similar essays for PCOM and PCOM-GA (which were sent to same place). Any thoughts?

From what I hear in the AZCOM thread, since the CCOM secondary is practically verbatim, they use the same responses except for possibly the question about the school itself. The same could be said for the Touros, but I'm not sure about that.

I mean, you wrote it, so how could it be plagiarizism? If you're really worried about it, just reorder it and/or add something specific about the school.

It happens all the time. I did it numerous times. If youve already answered a similar or identical question, I'm sure they wouldnt expect you to come up with a completely new response. Its completely okay to use your response to a question from another school.

I had a stock "why I'm special and will add diversity to your program" essay that I edited for each school. Used it at least a dozen times.

Yeah, I hate that question and only to imagine re-writing it 4 or 5 more times would drive me insane or halt the process altogether.

after a long wait, my applications have been verified..i applied to the following:

AZCOM, NSU-COM, KCUMB, PCOM, TUCOM-CA

I know PCOM secondary applications are automatic, i am almost finished with it - should I go ahead and send it now or do i have to hear something from them?

For the others, when should I be receiving it and is it mail or email?

Any suggestions on how to fill out the secondaries for these schools?

Any help would be appreciated, I just want to get in somewhere :)

Most schools you can find the secondaries on a web site. I would hunt them down and start answering all the essays and getting your recommendations all set. This is what I did. Then as soon as the school sent me their secondary in the mail or online I filled in the information that I had done and sent them in the next day.

I know some schools cut before giving the secondaries, so I would wait until you hear from them before sending things in.

This is just my oppinion, and what worked for me.

after a long wait, my applications have been verified..i applied to the following:

AZCOM, NSU-COM, KCUMB, PCOM, TUCOM-CA

I know PCOM secondary applications are automatic, i am almost finished with it - should I go ahead and send it now or do i have to hear something from them?

For the others, when should I be receiving it and is it mail or email?

AZCOM: Email
NSUCOM: Email
TUCOM-CA: Snail mail, but it's available online, and I'd recommend the online one
KCUMB: Don't know

Almost all of the prompts can be found in my signature. Write your essays and make your CV for AZCOM ASAP.

for the question :"why do you want to go to _____" are you guys getting info from the school website?...cuz i find that some schools don't really have much on their sites and my answer just ends up sounding really washed out

While everyone else is worrying about the infamous "why DO" question, I have to butt in and ask, all those schools that ask you questions about "why our school?" how much research do you need to put in to answering a question like that? And what can you possibly say about them that you wouldn't say about another school?

Because I didn't get to tour most of these schools, I decided to go for DO only and just applied everywhere I thought I could get in. Lame, probably, but I absolutely HATE writing BS but.... I do want in damnit! it seems like you can't every win on this front.

If you have researched the school throughly, then how will you be able to come up with questions for the interviewers about the school!?!

Any thoughts?

While everyone else is worrying about the infamous "why DO" question, I have to butt in and ask, all those schools that ask you questions about "why our school?" how much research do you need to put in to answering a question like that? And what can you possibly say about them that you wouldn't say about another school?

Because I didn't get to tour most of these schools, I decided to go for DO only and just applied everywhere I thought I could get in. Lame, probably, but I absolutely HATE writing BS but.... I do want in damnit! it seems like you can't every win on this front.

If you have researched the school throughly, then how will you be able to come up with questions for the interviewers about the school!?!

Any thoughts?

My thoughts are that you should take the perspective of "I will interview at and get acceptances from every school I applied to. Thus, I will have a tough decision in a few months--how will I make it?"

Now go out and do your best to answer this question. Then write about it for each school, but from the point of view that each particular school is your first choice, for the purpose of their essay.