** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread! **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys I haven't gotten any secondaries yet, but they should hopefully be coming in next week sometime. I was wondering how most of the secondaries are sent to you guys? Do they come as PDF's, and if so, is there a special program or updated version of adobe that lets you type on a PDF thats given to you?

Many are emailed in pdfs.

The MD schools have been the same. There is a fair mix of both online only and pdfs to mail in. I've got a few hybrids where I had to send the residency affidavit in but the rest was online.

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone received AZCOM, COMP, DMU, or KCUMB secondaries yet? And if so, how recently, and how did they arrive?

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone received AZCOM, COMP, DMU, or KCUMB secondaries yet? And if so, how recently, and how did they arrive?

I got DMU today (verified in late June). I haven't heard from KCUMB, but I don't have an MCAT score yet so that could be why. Anyone know if they screen? I didn't apply to the other two.

Did everyone that applied to LECOM get a call and email from Dr. Moore?

Do you mind giving your stats? Maybe they're correlated.

here are my stats:
MCAT - PS:11 VR:10 BS:10 W: R
cGPA - 3.51
sGPA - 3.38
CA resident

not too great, in my opinion.

i submitted AACOMAS on 6/22 and i was starting to get worried because it seems like they are taking forever to verify my application. i guess this notification is a good sign though!

edit: i still haven't gotten the actual secondary from LECOM, but the email said that i would get it "within the next week or so"

here are my stats:
MCAT - PS:11 VR:10 BS:10 W: R
cGPA - 3.51
sGPA - 3.38
CA resident

not too great, in my opinion.

i submitted AACOMAS on 6/22 and i was starting to get worried because it seems like they are taking forever to verify my application. i guess this notification is a good sign though!

edit: i still haven't gotten the actual secondary from LECOM, but the email said that i would get it "within the next week or so"

So, if it wasn't an interview invite, what was the call about? Or was it an interview and I'm misreading your post?

By the way, does anyone know when schools typically begin interviewing?

So, if it wasn't an interview invite, what was the call about? Or was it an interview and I'm misreading your post?

By the way, does anyone know when schools typically begin interviewing?

on the email he just congratulated me for starting the application process, completing the aacomas, encouraged me to learn more about the school through the website, told me to complete the secondary as soon as i got it due to rolling admissions, and gave me his contact info if i had any questions. he left me a voicemail saying basically the same things. i thought it was pretty standard information, but really felt that it showed a personal touch. i thought it was something standard they did before giving you the secondary...

While those stats might not be great by CA standards, relative to the rest of the country they could get you into an MD school somewhere along with the vast majority of DOs. No phone call for me. I got the form email a month ago or so.

Yep, I got the email too, but no call. That's great that you got one though. A personal touch is always great for morale!

Your stats look good. Best of luck!

Some of my secondaries ask for a photo and they say "professional quality". What does that mean exactly?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of my secondaries ask for a photo and they say "professional quality". What does that mean exactly?

It means dressed up against a plain/simple background. Many people use a scenic backdrop outside, and they can come out nicely. You can get them done at Wal-Greens/Sears/Wal-Mart/KMart/Wherever for like $10. Or you can take the shot at home and print it for like $.50.

If any one can post it will be greatly appreciated, I'd like to get start on it.

If any one can post it will be greatly appreciated, I'd like to get start on it.

If anyone has this, it'll be news to me. I'd love to get done with it, now. I haven't heard anything from them, and I was verified very early. I'll post when I hear something...(crickets)

If anyone has this, it'll be news to me. I'd love to get done with it, now. I haven't heard anything from them, and I was verified very early. I'll post when I hear something...(crickets)
Thank you, Chocolate Bear.

So, I just did a count of how many secondaries I've completed so far. 22! I have done 22 frickin secondaries. Most are complete or near completion. (Need little things like confirmation for a class or to receive letters)

I am baffled by that until I realize I spend about 3 hours a day doing secondaries. I did 5 today...

I feel an odd sense of relief knowing that the only secondary sitting in my inbox is Loma Linda, which I am kind of holding off due to the religious questions and me not being horribly religious.

Tomorrow I'll probably get 3 or 4 just to spite me.

So, I just did a count of how many secondaries I've completed so far. 22! I have done 22 frickin secondaries. Most are complete or near completion. (Need little things like confirmation for a class or to receive letters)

I am baffled by that until I realize I spend about 3 hours a day doing secondaries. I did 5 today...

I feel an odd sense of relief knowing that the only secondary sitting in my inbox is Loma Linda, which I am kind of holding off due to the religious questions and me not being horribly religious.

Tomorrow I'll probably get 3 or 4 just to spite me.

Loma Linda...:thumbdown:

That one's gonna sit in my inbox indefinitely.

Loma Linda...:thumbdown:

That one's gonna sit in my inbox indefinitely.

Talking about christianity is tough when part of your family is Jewish and you never went to church to begin with

No joke. For that matter, no alcohol, no skipping mandatory church, and no fun. No thanks. (No offense, anyone).

Well, I'm not going to get drunk in class and if they patrol the rest of my life like that then I have other issues. I'm not giving up a good beer once in a while. Nor am I giving up caffeine, but it is a darn nice school so I'd suck it up for that. Just procrastinating for another week or two and see if I get any other interviews to surprise me

Anyone know what the secondaries are asking for specifically when they say "in two pages.." or "attach a one page essay"? im obviously going to do the standard 12pt TR font, but do they want double or single spaced? that makes a huge difference..:confused:

Anyone know what the secondaries are asking for specifically when they say "in two pages.." or "attach a one page essay"? im obviously going to do the standard 12pt TR font, but do they want double or single spaced? that makes a huge difference..:confused:

When in doubt, go with double spaced. It keeps you from writing too much, as you run out of room faster. It's also easier for them to read.

If you really need the room, you can always go with single spaces. Just be careful you're not writing too much without actually saying anything. :thumbup:

When in doubt, go with double spaced. It keeps you from writing too much, as you run out of room faster. It's also easier for them to read.

If you really need the room, you can always go with single spaces. Just be careful you're not writing too much without actually saying anything. :thumbup:

muchos gracias, sounds reasonable

Yea...just because it says "2 pages" doesn't mean you should write 2 pages. When it comes to these things, I always assume they put that restrictor for the wordy people but I am sure their mind begins to wander after about 3/4ths a page. Short and concise is the route to go. I've done 22 secondaries and my longest was probably 4/5ths of a page single spaced, but I space my paragraphs with a line inbetween.

Yea...just because it says "2 pages" doesn't mean you should write 2 pages. When it comes to these things, I always assume they put that restrictor for the wordy people but I am sure their mind begins to wander after about 3/4ths a page. Short and concise is the route to go. I've done 22 secondaries and my longest was probably 4/5ths of a page single spaced, but I space my paragraphs with a line inbetween.

I agree, as far as I am concerned brevity is godliness in most cases.

No word on Western. I emailed the recruiter and asked when to expect word on a secondary. They screen thoroughly and Chololate bear has pointed out on another thread how they send an interview invite with the secondary. So, basically they evaluate the hell out of you based on your AACOMAS application.

When I get an email response I will post it on the 2008 2009 Western thread.

on another note.....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. that is a cry of frustration. the DO application process is soooooooo slow. I've only received secondaries from 2 of 7 schools (touro-CA and LECOM). The other 5 i havent even heard word they have recieved my app. good lordy i am gonna go insane.

Maybe they just don't like you. ;)

I've had responses of some sort from DMU, DCOM, KCOM, VCOM, PCOM, NSU, UNECOM, OUCOM, Touro-MI, UMDNJ...probably leaving one off.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do schools only send out secondaries after you've been verified, or do I just get no love from DO schools?:(

I just recieved my first secondary from NYMC. AMCAS hasn't verified me and I haven't even taken the mcat yet. No essays = awesome, but 100$ = suck. Don't know how aacomas works though. I was under the impression that schools didn't even see you exist until verification.

I guess they just really want to cash in on that secondary application fee.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do schools only send out secondaries after you've been verified, or do I just get no love from DO schools?:(

It's not a dumb question. DO schools send you secondaries only after verification. Once you're verified through AACOMAS, you'll get secondaries.

Thanks Revilla! I suppose AMCAS is willing to admit their slow :p

Any one have any advice? I submitted my prelim app. and have started receiving secondaries. I'm taking the MCAT Aug. 7th and I'm in the crunch zone before the test. Do you guys think it would be really detrimental to wait to complete secondaries till after the MCAT? Do they have to be done ASAP to be really considered? I mean I'm not even going to have an MCAT score yet. Any help?

So I'm filling out the Touro-CA secondary. I have been looking at the application online and am trying to put in my answers to questions 15/16 (Why have you chosed touro-ca, and why should we accept you), but it only lets you input four or five lines of text. Is there another version available - i.e. a word version? Or are all of you just limiting your responses to just four or fives lines of text?

I limited my answers to the spaces provided for the Touro-CA application.

I just recieved my first secondary from NYMC. AMCAS hasn't verified me and I haven't even taken the mcat yet. No essays = awesome, but 100$ = suck. Don't know how aacomas works though. I was under the impression that schools didn't even see you exist until verification.

My dad went to NYMC and he told me that if I don't get an interview he is not sending a donation in this year, since the $100 is obviously plenty.

For Pikeville it says they want 1 letter from a "premedical source." What does that mean? Comittee? Advisor? Any suggestions on options other than an advisor (Don't really talk to mine)? Would my PI in medical research work?

So I'm filling out the Touro-CA secondary. I have been looking at the application online and am trying to put in my answers to questions 15/16 (Why have you chosed touro-ca, and why should we accept you), but it only lets you input four or five lines of text. Is there another version available - i.e. a word version? Or are all of you just limiting your responses to just four or fives lines of text?

As sithr said, limit your responses.

AMCAS differs in this aspect, in that they immediately send demographics to your chosen school upon submission, which is weeks before verification.

Any one have any advice? I submitted my prelim app. and have started receiving secondaries. I'm taking the MCAT Aug. 7th and I'm in the crunch zone before the test. Do you guys think it would be really detrimental to wait to complete secondaries till after the MCAT? Do they have to be done ASAP to be really considered? I mean I'm not even going to have an MCAT score yet. Any help?

Put the secondaries aside for a week and a half and smoke that test. :thumbup:

I just received the TOUROCOM - NY secondary, the language is kinda ambiguous but it seems if you submit the secondary you get an interview. Which is pretty freaking sweet.

is there a word limit for LECOM-Erie's secondary? I don't see one on the actual secondary...

I'm currently filling out secondaries, and I was wondering if you know what do the schools want to hear when they ask you, how do you plan on financing your medical education?

I mean, i assume, for most its the same path, of loans, financial aid, scholarships, a little help from family.

but is there something that they are looking for that will make them say, oh good, this candidate seems secure.

and if so, why is this a question that is like an open ended question...how much do I write, anything in depth..?

A little confused.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

No. There isn't a magic answer for any of these questions. I don't know if you have read lots of essays before, but if you read the same exact thing over and over and over again it makes you want to drive a fork into your eye. Just answer it in as concise of a way as possible. Pretty much everyone will pay by a loans and a splash of family help. Its more to have you think about it.

I just wanted to confirm with others who have received DMU's secondary that there are no essays? Just an optional "anything else you'd like us to know?" also i believe chocolate bear u stated that it is being sent in pdf format, I got an link to a page on dmu website where the secondary is, you do it right there and turn it in. I just want to confirm with anyone else that this is what they got. thanks

I just wanted to confirm with others who have received DMU's secondary that there are no essays? Just an optional "anything else you'd like us to know?" also i believe chocolate bear u stated that it is being sent in pdf format, I got an link to a page on dmu website where the secondary is, you do it right there and turn it in. I just want to confirm with anyone else that this is what they got. thanks

I believe I would have been talking about another secondary, since I didn't apply to DMU. If I said it for sure, please show me where.

You're probably just mistaking it for another post of mine. Some threads (read: this one) look like I get paid per post. ;)

Last edited:

No essays except for the optional "Anything else..."

Also, no pdf but rather a link to a page where you fill out a form.